Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Into the woods cow

Posted 02-22-2014 09:58
    The costume houses I normally use have milky white costumes that you can't "feed". Is anyone aware of a costume provider that has a cow costume with a mouth opening that can be "fed" the cape, slipper, and hair? ------------------------------------------- Stephanie Bastin Friendship Christian School -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE:Into the woods cow

Posted 02-23-2014 11:20
    When my summer theatre group did Into the Woods we used Costume World in Deerfield Florida. They have 3 Level of cow rentals to choose. I think we rented the 2 or 3 which worked extremely well. The shipping to Illinois was not a problem. Jadene Deems was my contact. Both she and the owner are great. Please tell her I recommended them. Susan ------------------------------------------- Susan Cortesi Director of Theatre District 87 -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE:Into the woods cow

Posted 02-23-2014 15:31

I absolutely agree with Ms. Cortesi.
    We use Costume World in Deerfield Flo
    rida all the time and couldn't be happier.  The cow costume we rented was exactly what we wanted and Jadene Deems  made sure we understood how to prepare the actor for the unusual costume.  Jadene, Marilynn Wick, the owner, and everyone I've dealt with there are great. Please tell them I recommended them too.
    The website is:  http://www.costumeworldtheatrical.com/  and the phone number is
    800- 423- 7496.
    ------------------------------------------

Adrian Ahern

-------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE:Into the woods cow

Posted 02-23-2014 16:46
    Stephanie, 
    It looks like you're getting some good advice here. The girl we rented Milky White from is a costume pro in NYC and graduated from Belmont in Nashville. Her Milky White was adorable and yes, you could feed it the items. She has a Youtube video on how to use it. Here is her name and contact info. Brittany Church. Her email is bchurch2007@yahoo.com
    Again, here is the link to pictures of her Milky White in our production of Into The Woods. Click on the thumbnails to get a larger image.
    http://galleries.brianography.com/Wesleyan/Fine-Arts/201314-HS-Play-Into-The-Woods/i-hP5W54c

Steve Broyles

• 5.  RE:Into the woods cow

Posted 02-23-2014 20:32
    We had a student play Milky White and she was ADORABLE!  Although the girl who played the hen stole the show, the actress who played Milky White was pretty darn cute and was able to have a lovely, true relationship with Jack, a cantankerous relationship with Jacks' Mother and provide a true conflict for the Baker.  On top of all that, she could "eat" anything she needed to!

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Director

• 6.  RE:Into the woods cow

Posted 02-23-2014 21:02
    I just finished the first of a two week run of Into the Woods and we rented a cow with a mouth you can feed. We rented the costume from Broadway Costumes out of Chicago.  I have used them often in the past and I'm always happy with the results.  Milky White has been no exception.

It was not my original intention to use an actor for Milky White, but after a screw up by my props department, I turned to Broadway Costumes to help me out.  After seeing the costumed actor in rehearsal, I was glad we had had to change our plans.  The overall costume is very sweet on stage and allows for some interaction between Jack and Milky.

I highly recommend Broadway Costumes for your Milky White.

Barbara Bowers-Camp, Director of Theatre
    Celebration High School