Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Quality work VS Cancelling

Posted 03-21-2016 10:00

Let me begin by saying that while I've been teaching/directing for 17 years, this is my first year at this position in my current school.  Prior to this year, there was little in the way of professional productions, most performances were student written pieces that were not professional.   I have worked incredibly hard to rebrand the Theatre Department directing  "Almost, Maine" to rave reviews and with the help of the Choir teacher we put on the school's first musical in 21 years to 2 sold out houses and again rave reviews.  

Now to my problem, my 'upper' level students have been working on "All I really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."  It's not awful but it's not great...and the problem lies with a handful of Seniors who just don't care.  I've billed it as a showcase and am not selling tickets but mostly I'm concerned about the perception that I've worked so hard to change this year. It's a double-edged sword because if I cancel, that's unprofessional but if they go on and it's just a mess, that does damage all the work we've done, students and teacher alike. I don't anticipate a large crowd, just a few family and friends, and can qualify the work as a 'classroom project' with a short curtain speech.  As I write this I see that I must go through with the production but my question is how damaging might this be to our reputation?  

------------------------------
    Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 2.  RE: Quality work VS Cancelling

Posted 03-21-2016 11:27

First let me say congratulations on rebranding your department. That is A LOT of work! Kudos to you.  :^D

I actually had a similar issue about 5 years ago with the kids not being prepared (and we'll we'll what happens with Taming of the Shrew in May... :^/ ). I do find that the kids usually pull it together (except for maybe 1 or 2) a few days before performance. They don't want to look ridiculous in front of their friends so they cram at the last minute. The few who don't work end up looking like they deserve when compared to everyone else.

My kids also know that I will let them go up on stage and fail in front of an audience as an object lesson to them. It's one I end up giving every 4-5 years. It's a little harder for you because you are still building your program into the direction you want, not working in a program you've finished establishing. I had to do the same thing 8 years ago. While I did lose some kids, most of them wouldn't have succeeded in the program I was trying to build anyway, so it wasn't a big hit to the program when they left. 

If you've started establishing already in your productions the quality of the work that your program is capable of then the kids will end up looking lazy, not your program. It sounds like you've already established what you can do. Now it's up to the kids to show what they can do.

Another option would be to remove those seniors and replace them with kids who do work. Talk to your administration first and explain your reasoning so they can handle the upset parents and kids appropriately. Give the kids you are concerned about, and their parents, a heads up that this will happen if it is necessary for the good of the production. I've certainly done it (and in my main stage productions too). This can't be about a few kids. It needs to be about the ensemble and what is appropriate professionalism (especially in seniors). Think about what they are heading into in a few months. College and job life doesn't support you when you don't handle your responsibilities. It drops you in the dirt and moves right along without looking back. 

I tell my kids, and their parents, that I am a teacher first. My job is to help prepare these kids for life after high school. That includes responsibility. It's better for them to make a mistake and/or fail in the safe environment of my classroom than outside of it. I'm not going to hold a mistake over their heads for the rest of their time with me; a professor or boss may not be so forgiving...

Good luck! :^)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Quality work VS Cancelling

Posted 03-22-2016 20:37

I'm in agreement with Shira. Again. And everyone else. :)

Tomorrow we open our double-cast class productions of Shakespeare's 'Othello' and 'Much Ado About Nothing'. The day before a show is always terrifying, and today's rehearsal for Much Ado had me pulling non-existent hair from my head, but there are enough students that care that the show should carry, though it won't be the most amazing thing ever. And like Shira, my students know that I allow failure of the individual student as a valuable learning experience. I had one student who completely bombed his role as Scrooge because he was having an awful, awful month. I had him in mind for Othello, and decided with immense fear that I would take a chance on him again. He was the first person off book, and is one of the strongest performers in tomorrow's cast, so I think there is a definite value in allowing them to fail (publicly, no less) as a hard lesson hard learned. 

It is a tricky predicament to be in, and I hope you'll find solace and peace in your eventual decision. Your standards are known, and there are definite pros and cons to canceling a show because of general ineptitude/lack of motivation on the students' part. Best of luck.

Does anyone else have similar issues with seniors flaking out in the last legs of their high school career?

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Quality work VS Cancelling

Posted 03-21-2016 12:53

I feel your pain!  I have had to cancel two productions in my 16 years at my current school.  Finch quit the Wed before we opened How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying.  Unfortunately, many members of the cast didn't think he should have had the lead and were turkeys the entire rehearsal process.  He evened the score.  Because they were so busy being awful to him, they didn't know the show and I didn't have anyone capable of taking over the role so we canceled.  It was a defining moment for us and has long been remembered as How to Kill a Musical, by not Really Trying.  The other one was Odd Couple, my admin at the time wouldn't allow anyone under 17 to participate with the language.  Another learning moment... 

With that said, there have been plenty of productions that I was tempted to pull the plug on.  But, that can breed a negative culture too and potentially puts power in the wrong place.  Ie.  If we don't like what she chooses we can tank it.  Then you spend your time chasing shows they will like.

We did Kindergarten in the fall.  The audiences loved it, but the kids were lukewarm.  Another learning moment...about work ethic and professionalism.  All this to say that you have clearly laid the foundation to turn your ship around.  Use this experience to further the journey.  Reflection can be very powerful ...especially when directed :-)

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Quality work VS Cancelling

Posted 03-22-2016 07:37
    I love How to Eat...! I directed it at a professional theatre with a cast of kids. Changed my life and inspired me to do what I do now.
    That said, nice thing is that it runs similar to a variety show. Scenes and songs are stand alone pieces. So just cut the ones with your problem seniors, or recast them.
    I am also a new teacher in an old school. I am in my tenth year, second at this school. I used trainable freshmen this year as team lands on my crews, much to the chagrin of "entitled" upper class students. It was a great show. It's that difference between what they have "always done" versus learning industry standards I am trying to teach. It's more work for me now, but it will help me later.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 6.  RE: Quality work VS Cancelling

Posted 03-22-2016 08:40

After teaching theatre for almost 25 years, I have had plenty of shows that I was tempted to cancel, but each and every time the kids pulled through. In an attempt to give as many kids as possible opportunities, I always double cast the major (and sometimes the medium-sized) parts. This is also works to sell more tickets because the number of tickets sold always relates directly to how many people are in the cast. I have, however, had to remove students who weren't pulling their weight in order to maintain the quality of the show. They were usually seniors. I always gave the students 3 chances and informed the parents after each warning. In most instances, the students either shaped up or their parents were supportive of the removal as a learning experience. In the one case where the parent was not supportive, the administration was (as was the rest of the cast). 

I wish you luck, as this is much tougher when building a program than it is after the program has been established.

Kristie Bach (Retired Theatre Teacher)
    Purple Plays Publishing
    Traverse City, MI
    www.purpleplays.com

• 7.  RE: Quality work VS Cancelling

Posted 03-23-2016 08:59

In 32 total years of teaching in 5 very different schools, I have never cancelled a show.  Have some been better than others, yes.  All have been learning experiences.

This won't help you at this step in the rehearsal process, but you might consider it in the future.  When a show has a company or walk-on parts, I always cast understudies for the major roles from the beginning.  I also try to have ASMs who know from the onset that they will be expected to go on in case of an emergency.  (It is easier to hand off their duties backstage than put a new person in a role close to performance.)

Last fall, I had an actor in You Can't Take It With You who kept missing rehearsals.  He was one of the "J Men" and "knew his lines."  After two missed rehearsals, I called him in, said I would have to remove him from the show if he missed again, then did just that.  The actor playing Mr. Henderson jumped into the "J Men" role as well, and within two rehearsals, the anxiety in the cast was gone.  I won't have to replace an actor for 3 years, because news travels fast.

Last week we performed our one-act comedy for NC Thespian Festival for parents and a few students after school before we left for the festival the next day.  Afterwards, I asked how they liked the deafening sound of silence where laughs should be.  They had thought it would just come together, but it didn't.  The rascals rehearsed on the bus, during breaks, in a hotel room, to find the precise moments I had been talking about in notes, then pulled out a decent performance at the festival.

Pain can be a good teacher, but not when it comes without warning.  My best advice is to sit the whole cast down and ask them what they need to do to avoid catastrophe in front of an audience.  Then add your own comments. Tell them where the (maybe few) good moments are. Tell them you have done what you can do, and now it is up to them.  Then let them do the work needed, or not do the work needed.  The show must go on.

Best wishes, 

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: Quality work VS Cancelling

Posted 03-23-2016 09:08

While I have never canceled a production I have changed plays mid-rehearsal and threatened actors with removal if they didn't learn their lines. 

I usually have a time in rehearsal when I have to tell the students that I'm not going to be onstage, they are. And my salary isn't changed by their bad performance. "Next Friday when i get my paycheck they won't be with-holding money because you had a bad performance."  One day when we were doing Shakespeare scenes for a group of other schools I began my speech on the bus. From the back of the bus I heard a voice, "Oh no! It's the paycheck speech."  I had to laugh and just let it go!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 9.  RE: Quality work VS Cancelling

Posted 03-23-2016 17:56

Do the show but add a Talk Back portion to it.  It is one thing to put on a bad performance and walk away but it is another to hear it from the audience.  Chances  are once you add this element, the actors will step up their game and they will learn more from the experience.  Good luck.

Allen Price
    California MD

• 10.  RE: Quality work VS Cancelling

Posted 03-24-2016 14:07

Thanks for all the great feedback.  The show went up last night and they did well.  It wasn't without it's problems but overall, I am pleased with their work.  A simple curtain speech was all I needed...lesson learned. 

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC