Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  CTE help?!?!?!?!?

Posted 03-20-2016 10:45

I am trying to convince some very stubborn district big wigs to make Drama a CTE. Anyone out there have their classes under the CTE umbrella. HELP!!!

• 2.  RE: CTE help?!?!?!?!?

Posted 03-21-2016 02:57

I am in the initial process of getting my CTE certification. It's new to me and I'm being told I must navigate it under the heading of the NCES codes that dictate what is or is not CTE. "Theatrical Production and Management" and "Stagecraft" are CTE courses. Also, "Theater Arts" is listed as an option, if I understand correctly, so I'm going to see if my Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Acting courses count, too. Keep in mind that the NCES codes are OLD language and I'm not sure when they were last updated, if inclusion of "Theatrical Production and Management" as level one to the level two class of "Stagecraft" and omission of "Theatre Design and Technical Theatre" even being in the mix is any indication. Otherwise everything would fall under "Theater Arts" and we'd all be teaching CTE and get the extra money associated, which is part of the lure for districts and states.

Does your district have CTE? If so, in what areas?

------------------------------
    Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: CTE help?!?!?!?!?

Posted 03-22-2016 07:43
    As I understand it, actin classes can count because they are about career preparedness. General studies classes cannot.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 4.  RE: CTE help?!?!?!?!?

Posted 03-22-2016 00:03
    Only my technical theatre class falls under CTE. I'm curious as to why you want drama as a CTE class.

• 5.  RE: CTE help?!?!?!?!?

Posted 03-22-2016 07:23
    In Jefferson County, Colorado, my former district, all stagecraft and acting classes are eligible for CTE status depending on the teacher's experience and the school's support. Sarah Heath used to be in charge of district CTE. Sheath@jeffco.co.us. I am working toward making this a possibility in Denver. Currently the chartered arts schools have CTE courses in theatre, but no others. I am not meeting with any opposition, it's just slow.

Scott Hasbrouck
    shasbrou@aol.com
    720-353-3227

• 6.  RE: CTE help?!?!?!?!?

Posted 03-22-2016 09:21

I teach a CTE program in Technical Theatre here in Ohio. The State does have Performing Arts programs under the CTE umbrella including Music Performance, Vocal, Dance, and Theatre Performance. Look here under High School, Arts and Communication | Ohio Department of Education

In my program, I choose four "courses" from those offered to be taught over a two year period as I have Juniors and Seniors. All courses have a state based end of course exam.   I could be wrong, but here in Ohio, I don't believe we can offer individual courses such as Acting I or Advanced Theatre Arts as a CTE course.

We are a comprehensive high school with 14 other CTE programs.  Currently, we only have a Technical Theatre CTE program. I have looked into a Theatre Performance program, but we do not have the facility capacity to have it. Also, the instructor would need to be CTE certified which is a minor stumbling block for the current teachers here not wanting to go back and get the additional certification.

Mike Cordonnier
    Centerville High School
    Centerville, Ohio

• 7.  RE: CTE help?!?!?!?!?

Posted 03-24-2016 18:53

From my experience it is based on state rules. In Nevada Theatre Technology was CTE, was taken off CTE, and is now back. Acting theatre cannot be CTE in the state.

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV