Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Production team stipends

Posted 03-20-2016 09:53
    Hi all
    I am in the middle of collecting stipend information for our school. We are trying to benchmark our stipends across many schools with the hopes of increasing our numbers. If anyone is willing and comfortable to share stipend information for director, asst director, stage crew(set construction), tech(lighting and sound), choreographer, vocal director, costumer,  conductor, and any other position that you may have, I would be appreciative of the assistance. 

I would be willing to share the data collected anonymously in case you are looking to help with your own theater program. 

Thank you for any help that you can provide. 
    Jim

--
    James P. Fry, Ed.D.
    Director of Student Life
    Malvern Preparatory School
    484-595-1166

Malvern Preparatory School
    418 South Warren Avenue | Malvern, PA 19355
    An Independent, Augustinian, Catholic School

The information contained in or attached to this e-mail contains confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail is PROHIBITED. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately. Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Production team stipends

Posted 03-21-2016 08:58

I retired in June, so my information is fairly current for our district. Here is what our district has "listed" as stipend amounts for production related positions:

Thespian Sponsor - 2% of base salary (1st year teacher)

Theatre Director - 3% of base salary per production

Musical Director - 4% of base salary 

In addition, the music department provides an additional 4% for the musical director (for a total of 8%). The conductor, lighting designer, and choreographer are given varying amounts, as determined by the musical director and profits. The musical is done on a completely extra-curricular basis, while the theatre productions are a part of the theatre classes so they are co-curricular.

Above I put "listed" in quotations because there are a lot of amounts officially listed, but it is up to the individual schools in the district to decide to pay or not. For instance, I usually did 5 productions over two semesters, but was only paid for one by the district and then one by the school (the school did not actually have to pay me if they decided it wasn't in their budget). There was no extra stipend for Stagecraft, which is where the real after school work was done.

Hope this was helpful.

------------------------------
    Kristie Bach (Retired Theatre Teacher)
    Purple Plays Publishing
    Traverse City, MI
    www.purpleplays.com

• 3.  RE: Production team stipends

Posted 03-23-2016 08:31

Hi All!

Thank you for your assistance. It has been interesting to see how production teams are paid, and what those numbers look like. I love having this discussion forum to gather information to help with ideas and other brainstorms.

Thank you again for your time.

Jim

James Fry
    Director of Student Life & Malvern Theatre Society
    West Chester PA

• 4.  RE: Production team stipends

Posted 03-21-2016 10:59
    ?I imagine you are going to get many answers. In our district there are only two general stipends for theater; a head theater position and an assistant theater position. The lead one is on a five year horizontal scale that tops out at around $4700 or so, and the assistant position gets around $2500 per year. This is the highest amount you could hope to get in our district and it is an annual contract. If I ever figured out what that works out to at an hourly rate, I am sure it would be minimum wage or less.

?

However, every time I think I have it bad, I hear from another person, who makes even less.

Ed Como
    Chaparral Performing Arts Chair
    Chaparral Theater and Film Instructor
    Scottsdale Unified School District

• 5.  RE: Production team stipends

Posted 03-21-2016 15:20

As my district goes into another negotiating year, we are seeking the same information, so I will gladly share what we have found in the Tacoma, Washington Metro area.

Tacoma School District - 3,500 (8.28% of base salary)

Franklin-Pierce School District - 4,767 (14% of base salary, an additional $800 for a musical)

Steilacoom Historical School District - 1728 (This is for the 2009 School Year)

Clover Park School District - 4,400

Getting this information from others is greatly appreciated.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington