Open Forum

View Only

Evening Of One Acts

• 1.  Evening Of One Acts

Posted 03-20-2016 09:08
    I am planning for next year and would like to kill two birds with one stone. I would like to do an evening of two one acts that run 35-40 minutes each. I would like them to somehow relate to each other. Then I will have the audience vote on the best one act and that will be the show we take to competition. Any suggestions on one acts. Thanks for your creative input.

Daniel Barrett
    Faith West Academy

---------------------------------
    Daniel Barrett
    Theater Director
    Faith West Academy
    Katy, TX
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 03-20-2016 10:35
      |   view attached

Daniel, 

After having directed high school shows, this year I was asked to do the middle school show as well. It was so difficult to find any scripts that I liked. So many are just so dumb – fractured fairy tales or really corny contemporary shows. I finally found three shows that I really liked and we did two of them. (Note that production costs are high for doing two one-acts. A script might only be 35 pages, but they still charge the same.) We did Ian McWethy's "The Internet is a Distract– OH LOOK A KITTEN!" and Patrick Greene's "Brief Interviews with Internet Cats". Both are available on Playscripts. The other that I liked is also by McWethy called "15 Minutes of Youtube Fame" sold on the newish Stage Partners site. 

The kids really identified with both shows. They know they waste so much of their time watching stupid cat videos and just being completely distracted. And parents enjoyed them too. All of us can relate to trying to keep our kids on track. I prefer "Internet is a Distract–". It is a great idea – a girl trying to get the last paragraph of her Gatsby essay written, but she is constantly distracted (through two zones of light called the 'distraction zones) by friends, personified versions of a desperate salesman Amazon, Wikipedia who lacks confidence, and a sinister Amazon. The whole thing is very clever and the kids really loved it. I think they found it fun to do a show that high schoolers and adults could genuinely enjoy rather than the more babyish fare that is often written for younger actors.

Steven 

------------------------------
    Steven Slaughter
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

• 3.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 03-21-2016 08:10

I promise to recommend different titles soon; just went to the Florida state Festival and bought lots and lots of new scripts...

In the meantime, two related one act plays running under 40 minutes could be Allison Williams' 'Drop Dead, Juliet!' and 'Postcards from Shakespeare'. Both are heavily Shakespeare, and yes they are both parody comedies, but what I love about them is their respect for the source material and for the power of Shakespeare's word and power of theatre in general, in two moments (one from each play) where it becomes very poignant, profound, and moving. Gives the students a wonderful crash course in Shakespeare's range, as well as being extremely funny by themselves without knowing all the references.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 03-21-2016 09:36

Our school just did "'Dentity Crisis" and "Actor's Nightmare" by Christopher Durang.

Both were challenges in many ways but still within the range of strong HS students.

Barb Lachman
    Shoreline WA

• 5.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 03-22-2016 07:49
    I've always liked 15 Reasons Not To Be in a Play available through Pioneer. Anything by David Ives is good, we just did four 10 minute plays from All In The Timing.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 6.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 06-01-2016 15:09

I LOVE "All in the Timing"! But how did you get around the profanity and salacious content in some of those pieces? Or did you just do it and no one cared?

Autumn Gonzales
    Certified Teacher
    Estacada School District
    Portland OR

• 7.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 03-21-2016 09:37

Two one-acts that involve comedic duet short scenes:

It's Not You, It's Me  by Don Zolidis & 13 Ways to Screw Up Your College Interview by Ian McWethy.  

Kayla Wilson
    Hillsboro OH

• 8.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 03-21-2016 11:35

Depending on what you're looking for...

Comedic:

The Idiot and the Oddity by Doug Rand v.11 Variations of Friar John's Failure by Yuro Baranovsky (both a parodies on classical tales)

Dramatic:

Voices in Conflict by Bonnie Dickinson v. Booby Trap by Ed Monk (both a military based pieces) 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 03-21-2016 13:31

If you're up for a challenge, The Real Inspector Hound and Dogg's Hamlet, Cahoot's MacBeth by Stoppard.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 10.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 03-23-2016 10:35

This thread is great - so many good ideas.  Thanks for getting and keeping it going.

We've done evenings of one act plays a few times at our middle school instead of one full length, and are planning on doing it again next fall.  I will definitely look into the internet/cat plays - thanks for that idea!!  Love lots of the others too ... if I were at a high school.

Some other pairings I am considering for next year (and would be happy to hear any reviews of these shows from the forum!):

"Work" theme:  Paper or Plastic? (Dramatic Publishing) and Help Wanted (Eldridge)

"Stories" theme:  Wiley and the Hairy Man and Once, In the Time of Trolls or Selkie (all Dramatic Publishing)

In past years we have done (some might be more middle than high school):

"Dreams and Journeys" - Journey to the World's Edge (Dramatic Publishing) and a short Midsummer Night's Dream (This was my favorite pair.)

Roald Dahl - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach (Kids loved it, a bit too much narration for me.)

School Theme - Somebody Catch My Homework and Seth's Anxiety (both Dramatic Publishing)  (Worked well, and had some fun challenges.)

And this year we are doing (on its own) Baghdad Zoo (Plays for Young Audiences), which could easily be paired with another children during war themed play (so many possibilities).

Keep the ideas coming!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 11.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 04-01-2016 14:23

This year, I directed an evening of one-acts.  They varied wildly in length, but they worked together beautifully, and I found ways to stitch them together even more tightly than would appear on paper.

First up was Rich Orloff's Oedi, published by Playscripts, Inc.  This is a spoof of Oedipus Rex.  Next came Christopher Durang and Wendy Wasserstein's Medea, published by Dramatists Play Service, Inc., and whose comic target I hope is obvious.  After that, we took an intermission break, then came back for Doug Rand's The Idiot and the Oddity, another Playscripts title, which hilariously purées the Iliad, the Odyssey, Antigone, and the Oresteia.  I wanted to give the show the catch-all title Up the Greek Without a Paddle, but I figured that some uptight parent or administrator would take that the wrong way, so I settled for calling the show It's All Greek to Me.

My school's English department got on board, since different teachers at different grade levels here teach Oedipus, Medea, Antigone, and the Odyssey.  They created an extra-credit writing assignment that students could complete after seeing the show.  I gave them copies of the scripts, and they wrote text-specific prompts that required real attention to the plays.  Between that, the comic nature of the show, and a cast of almost 50 students, we had attendance beyond our imagination.

The Idiot and the Oddity has a decent-sized chorus, and Medea (as written) has a small, all-female one, while Oedi has none, but I made the chorus the star of the whole show.  I used four men and four women, along with a very talented student choreographer.  We created an elaborate entrance at the top of the show where the chorus came down the aisles to the playing space, carrying (battery-powered theatrical) candles and accompanied by a scholarly recreation of ancient Greek music before a comic Jekyll-and-Hyde transition revealed that we really weren't going to play the whole show in deadly earnest.  This played as a sort of prologue, to establish the group.  The same chorus later returned for both Medea and Idiot, its role growing each time it appeared.  During our curtain call, the chorus - given the final bow as a group - got the loudest, most enthusiastic applause from the audience!

There were other connections, as well.  Creon (from Oedi) and Medea both appear in Idiot, so I used the same actors to play those parts across the board.  Jason in Medea is a very small part that demands a very good actor, so I compensated him by also casting him as Zeus in Idiot and challenging him to leave the audience unaware that the two roles were played by one actor.  Oedi has a tiny (but fun) role for a town crier, and both Medea and Idiot send up the ancient Greek convention of the messenger, so I cast one boy in all of those roles - as if to say that throughout all of ancient Greece, regardless of story, there was one and only one anonymous Bearer of Bad News.  Such casting moves helped to cement the three pieces together as a single show, and we got great responses to it.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 12.  RE: Evening Of One Acts

Posted 06-01-2016 15:46

We are producing "Fire in the Hole" this year to take to Festival, and there is a prequel and sequel because it is from a series of 9 one-acts in "The Kentucky Cycle." Choosing two from "The Kentucky Cycle" would definitely be related.  We are going to perform "Tall Tales" at our home performances as the prequel.

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA