Open Forum

View Only

Troupe Director Supplemental

• 1.  Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-18-2016 10:40

I am just wondering if that are any troupe directors that do not get a paid supplemental for the troupe director position.  I have been advocating for this position to be paid because it has never been a paid position in my school (as far as I know). 

Thank You,

Kayla Wilson

------------------------------
    Kayla Wilson

• 2.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-19-2016 07:19

I am paid an addition $350 for 15 hours...and it is a coaching contract.

Trevor Smith
    Director
    Charleston WV

• 3.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-19-2016 09:56
    I used to receive a small amount as the Drama Club/Thespian sponsor at my last school on top of my modest Drama Director stipend. Different school, same district and no such stipend. Club sponsorship came out of discretionary stipend money given to principal. I never thought to fight to get it because I was so happy to have a new position. Maybe it's time, 5 years into new place.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-19-2016 13:03

I was paid 2% on the step 1 salary schedule and then each year I continued in the position the salary went up a step. So, even though I had been teaching 7 years when I started as the thespian advisor, the 2% was figured on a first year teacher's salary, the next year the 2% was figured on a 2nd year teacher's salary, and so on.

Kristie Bach (Retired Theatre Teacher)
    Purple Plays Publishing
    Traverse City, MI
    www.purpleplays.com

• 5.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-20-2016 08:27

I receive a paid schedule C position which is part of our teachers contract. It was negotiated years ago.  It's a flat fee. Fortunately it is the highest-paid non athletic extra duty position in our district. Only the band director gets the same amount of pay that I do. It's definitely something worth fighting for or at least presenting a solid case for its inception. The description of the position calls for me to do a straight play and a musical production each year. Additionally, in that same schedule C, there are positions for an assistant director and assistant director for the musical. Both of those positions are at lower fees but are invaluable in helping with the program.   These two positions did not exist when I started the job 30 years ago. They were established through contract negotiations.  Good luck! 

Rick Bodick
    Theatre Director
    Troy High School
    Troy, MI

• 6.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-20-2016 09:04

The private school at which I used to work paid me nothing to be Troupe Director. I was an after-school contractor, responsible for producing a Fall and Spring show. Contractually, that was it. I pretty much threw in One Act and Thespian out of the kindness of my heart. 

My traveling expenses were paid on the One Act and Thescon trips, but that was about it. 

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 7.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-20-2016 12:06

I have been a drama director at a public school in Ohio for 16 years, and I get 2.5% of base pay for each half of the year. This is in a district where even Junior High coaches get a higher percentage. Granted, the base pay rises each year I hold the position, however the football coach gets nearly 16% of base pay, so it seems very unfair. I am responsible for two main stage shows, in the fall and spring, involving nearly 90 students. I started a boosters club, and when the school removed the assistant sponsor (who supervised the student directed one acts in the winter) the boosters pay for that person to continue. I meet with the thespian troupe council members 2 X a month, and there is a general membership meeting once a month. We help organize a regional theatre conference, and always attend the state conference. There are so many activities that these theatre students participate in as a theatre group, and I support (and often supervise) each. There is no extra pay for being a Troupe Director, which is not how it should be. I pleaded my case to the teacher's union at school (the president is the choir director) and was surprised when I got no-where, and was told I was paid enough.  I retired from teaching last year, and even though I am still the Drama Director, I am nearing the end of doing that at the school, so would love to improve the salary for the next person (also, so I can get a person of quality to replace me). There is so much of my personal time devoted to theatre activities, that I suggest you go after better pay. I really have no suggestions as to how, since my union was no help. Even though we theatre directors do what we do for the love of theatre, there is no reason to be treated as an indentured servant by the administration. 

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Thespian Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst OH

• 8.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-20-2016 12:21

I receive the same stipend as athletic coaches at my level, $2,868.00 each school year. I love it that the Athletic Director has to come to me to sign the "coaches" contract.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 9.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-20-2016 23:02

I get a $1000 stipend each year, and I have gotten the same stipend every year since 2000.  I can't think too much about it.   

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 10.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-21-2016 03:48

I've been teaching 20 years, with a junior troupe for 8 and a high school troupe for 9, and none of the years as a Troupe Director have I been paid. I anticipate for the next 20 years, I won't receive a stipend for drama club/Thespians either. I consider my time with Thespians a volunteer job in giving back. I love it so it doesn't seem like work to me, most of the time. However, I do receive a stipend for Productions which is a percentage of my base salary. That's certainly helps.

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

• 11.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-21-2016 07:59

I receive a $2,000+ stipend, flat fee, paid throughout the year each paycheck. I think it works out (when estimating the number of hours on a very conservative, low-ball basis) at about $3.27 an hour.

Nice work if you can get it. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 12.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-21-2016 08:36

I am now retired, but last year in my New Jersey school in received flat fees for each activity.  (My union REALLY puts pressure on anyone who works for nothing.)  Thespian Director: $2,300, Fall Play Director: $5,200, Spring Musical Head Director: $5,200.  This may seem like a lot, but consider that in this district the head football coach gets close to $20,000.

Valerie Gargus
    Mt. Laurel NJ

• 13.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-21-2016 11:37

I am also at a private school and my salary includes a Sr. Thespian troupe and two shows a year. I added a MS show and our Jr. Thespian troupe out of the kindness of my heart. I did ask for a stipend for a former student to coach my Jr. Thespian kids this year because coaching both troupes last year (60 kids) about killed me. They agreed to a $1000 stipend for her.

Gail Bartell
    Altamonte Springs FL

• 14.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-21-2016 15:02

The percentages below are based off the negotiated base of a beginning teacher.  (We actually average the first four years together as a recruitment tool, but that is another story.)  There is no rider of any kind.  I could do one show or twelve each year.   I am the Theatre Director (musical, full-length show, supervisor/mentor of children's show, 2nd full-length, murder-mystery-comedy), Thespians (Troupe Director), Drama Club (open to all), Speech Advisor (individual events like NIES), and Speech Large Group (one act, ensemble acting, etc.)  The percentages haven't risen in 27 years, but the base pay from which they are computed has.  :-)

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 15.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-22-2016 15:19

I do not receive a stipend for anything related to Thespians.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 16.  RE: Troupe Director Supplemental

Posted 03-24-2016 11:58

I finally started receiving a stipend for Thespians this year.  It's $2000.  And that's for work I literally do 12 months of the year (summers are spend with our sponsorship program, ITF, and officer planning sessions).  I also direct a one-act, and coach about 20 IEs, run TOTS-Eat, oversee caroling, and this year we are doing an event called 24 hour theatre.

$2000 is a good sum, but compare it to the fact that our student-directed one acts, which is in production for four weeks and is mostly student run, has two stipends that together are about $6000, and you can see some inequity.  Our union is looking at all stipends, however, to determine if adjustments should be made.  Bill Myatt, I love the break down for your program, and I think it has great value for other programs!

Ray

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN