Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New York Trip tours/experiences for Middle School students

Posted 03-18-2016 10:19

Hello All!

I am considering a trip to NYC with my students and I was curious if you have recommendations of travel companies as well as price ranges that indicate value. 

Presently, I'm considering EF Tours, but they do not provide an itemized breakdown for the tour and to me, it seems a bit expensive.  I need to know is this common, reasonable or what I should expect?

Here is a link to the Sample Itinerary http://www.efexploreamerica.com/eliterature/DBD/2016/NBW.pdf

The cost for students is $1999 and adults is $2,299.  Here is the link for pricing:http://www.efexploreamerica.com/print-quote/1851685/e1112c7dba694cb7b6/TC

Please let me know other companies I should consider and what price range I should expect.  I appreciate your frank, candid opinions!!

Thanks!!

Joy Hammond, Troupe Director

The Champion School - Troupe 89129

------------------------------
    Joy Hammond
    Drama Club Sponsor, Teacher
    Dekalb County School District
    Stone Mountain GA

• 2.  RE: New York Trip tours/experiences for Middle School students

Posted 03-19-2016 12:33

Hi Joy!

At a glance, the numbers you posted seem reasonable. As an EF competitor, I think they run a respectable tour company, and that sample itinerary is in-line with industry standards. There are some OTHER tour operators that I’d recommend you stay away from, but a little searching on this forum should uncover those names. ;)

That said, there were a few things that stood out to me in the itinerary that you should request some clarification on:

HOTEL - It’s important to know where your hotel is located, as this has a HUGE impact on your trip. EF’s quote doesn’t specify location and its sample itinerary lists “downtown hotel” as an optional upgrade, which makes me think they quoted a New Jersey property. Be forewarned: staying in New Jersey is a very different experience than staying in Midtown Manhattan. With a Jersey hotel, you are locked into a strict schedule set by the pickup/drop-off times of the motor coach, and that can add up to an hour of commute time as well as an unnecessary level of stress.

ROUND-TRIP TRANSPORTATION - The quote also does not specify if you’ll be traveling to NYC by coach or by air. It’s likely that your tour consultant discussed this with you, but it’s important to ensure that you’re getting what you want. The difference between an over-night bus or a two-hour plane ride can greatly affect your experience. Do they give you option of purchasing/providing your own transportation to and from the city? That’s worth exploring, as well.

GROUND TRANSPORTATION - The quote also doesn’t specify how you’re getting around the city. Some companies use coaches, some use public transportation, etc. They each have strengths and weaknesses, but you should at least know what you’re signing up for, and if there’s any mobility questions that need to be addressed with your travelers.

HIDDEN COSTS - There aren’t a lot of “gotcha” fees with EF, but here are some things to look out for with other operators.

• Airline Baggage Fees - The baggage fee isn’t covered (which is pretty standard), and that depends on the air carrier you use. With some charging $50+ for two bags, it can easily add to the cost of your trip
    • Hotel Portage Fees - Most operators include this in your quote, but it’s important to be sure.
    • Meals - Dining in New York City is more expensive than back home, so it’s important to know which meals are included in your tour program. We use hotels that include a hot breakfast, but some don’t. Getting the included breakfast allows your students to eat a big meal before starting their day. Lunch is generally not included and evening meals can vary based on the desires of your group.
    • Broadway Tickets - It’s important to consider not only the show, but your seats within the theater. Clarify with your operator whether you want Orchestra, Mezzanine, or if Balcony is acceptable.

One final note, the most consistent piece of feedback we get about choosing a tour company regards communication. Specifically, how quickly and reliably the operator responds to and accommodates your questions and requests. Thorough and transparent communication regarding the details and development of your tour program ensure that you get exactly what you want out of your New York City experience. That’s what you’re paying for, after all.

Hope this helps!
    Brian Bird

Brian Bird
    Co Director
    Broadway Life: Student Group Travel
    http://www.Broadway.Life
    info@broadway.life
    (212)-321-0950

• 3.  RE: New York Trip tours/experiences for Middle School students

Posted 03-19-2016 18:36

I had a terrible experience with EF and have never used them again.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: New York Trip tours/experiences for Middle School students

Posted 03-20-2016 12:11
    In your sample itinerary It states that you are only seeing two Broadway shows.i have found that if I am traveling with a group of theatre students I want the best value for my money and after taking 5 trips to NYC ( the last one being last year) that BroghtSpark student tours has given our group the most value for he cost.

Our cost is comparable to your trip but our inclusions were more....we see 4 shows, do one or two workshops, see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island, tour of Radio City Music Hall, Times Square, Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) OR Empire State Building each time, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Central Park, the Ride (look it up it is very interactive and entertaining) with free time to spare. Some students opt to get half price tickets to see a 5th show that wasn't on our list to see during free time. 

We stay in the city and two meals are included in our price each day. We also have a tour guide who gets us from place to place and makes sure that 30 of us get on the same subway ride at the same time. We fly into Laguardia and this is the only time to and from the airport that we take a charter bus. 

The staff is wonderful towork with, there is a payment systems and they take fundraising dollars which I love!

Feel free to email me with any questions about taking students on this trip. I am a high school teacher but I think that if any school theatre group is going to take this trip they need to get in as much as possible and see as many shows as possible.

Julie. Estrada at weldre4 dot org

--
    Julie Estrada, MEd.
    Theatre Director
    Windsor High School Theatre
    1100 West Main Street
    Windsor, CO 80550
    NOTE the change in email address as of 12/2/2015:

• 5.  RE: New York Trip tours/experiences for Middle School students

Posted 03-22-2016 10:14

After a disastrous trip with a company I won't mention (not EF), I decided to book everything myself.  It's a lot of time, but after your first year you realize how easy it is--not to mention cost effective.  We fly, spend 4 days/3 nights in a midtown hotel, 3-4 Broadway (sometimes one off-Broadway) shows, meals, workshops, etc. for less money.  Last spring, the trip cost was $1050. 

If you'd like more info, PM me and I'll give you any advice I can--

Janie

Janie Modlin, Director of Theatre
    Paul Blazer High School
    1500 Blazer Boulevard
    Ashland, KY  41102
    (606) 327-6040 ext. 3602 or 3326 (Millennium Center)
    "I love acting.  It's so much more real than life."  Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray. 

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY:  This email, including any attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential information that is legally privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 6.  RE: New York Trip tours/experiences for Middle School students

Posted 03-23-2016 06:25

What you say here is very true. At least based on my own experience. We once took a theatre trip to London that we planned ourselves. It was awesome.

• 7.  RE: New York Trip tours/experiences for Middle School students

Posted 03-20-2016 12:18

I would recommend Junior Tours. They are the former Manhattan Tour and Travel which served Thespians well over the years. Now owned by Rich Abrams. 800-879-6828. They will design a tour to meet your needs. I used to take students to NY. Now I take 70-80 year olds. They can serve any age group. 

Lana Hagan
    Department of Theatre/Dance
    Southern Illinois Univ. Edwardsville/retired
    Clayton MO

• 8.  RE: New York Trip tours/experiences for Middle School students

Posted 03-23-2016 08:17

I've put together trips to London, Greece, and NYC. I'm using Travel Passport this time just to save the hassle of planning it myself and having to go thru the Byzantine process in our school system. I am planning another trip to Greece in 2017 but it's an easy trip, only 7 people can go because that is all I can fit in the van I drive as we travel across Greece. Great fun because I can pic and choose the participants and the fun teachers go with me.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY