Open Forum

View Only

Entitlement

• 1.  Entitlement

Posted 03-15-2016 21:35

I've read about similar problems to this one, and now it is my turn to vent. I am in my second year at this school. The teacher before me was blackballed by the students because they had lost their beloved teacher. He ended up not coming back and I was hired. Last year in the middle of our spring musical, a local theater company had auditions for a musical. Most of my leads auditioned and were cast. They promptly lost interest in our show and demanded to be released early for rehearsals for the other play. When the two music directors and I refused to allow them, attitudes went into the tank. Fortunately the orchestra director was able to guilt them back in until they finished the show. Fast forward to this year. The same company had auditions the same day as I did for my spring show. I had only five kids show up because I had said that they couldn't do both shows. I recruited heavily from my beginning classes and have a delightful cast. However, one senior, who needs the school show as his last requirement to get his performance diploma, went to both auditions. Now he and his mom are demanding that he be allowed to do both, that his work ethic is strong, that he is able to focus, and that I can't tell him what to with his time outside of school. Said student quit the musical last year because he wasn't cast as a lead and didn't bother to even memorize his lines for the class final last year. He didn't audition for either the two other plays this year. I told him that I was sorry, choices are hard to make, but that he had to choose one play or the other...that I needed his complete focus. My department chair, and head of the the performing arts program, told him the same thing. Now, however, I'm to meet with administration, student and parents to get a decision. I said I wanted the dept. chair in the meeting as well. I'm thinking union representation might not hurt either.

Do the rest of your struggle with entitlement also? Is it a recent development? I didn't have it in previous positions - or at least not as much.

------------------------------
    Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 2.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 03-16-2016 06:21

Ellen,

Wow.  That definitely is entitlement on this young man's part.  As you know, in another year things will be better, and the following year even better because all of those students from the previous director will be gone.

In the case of this young man, I would stick to your guns.  I know in my school, students may not participate in more than one sport per season (with the exception of soccer and football--our football team typically shares a kicker).  But why do they do that?  To ensure that athletes develop themselves for one particular sport.  And in theatre, there are the rehearsal demands, but also the homework for the show that students must work toward.  

And I would say that if you made it clear they could only do one show (and even better if they signed something saying that), then it's even more reason not to let him do both shows.  

Stick to your guns.  What you permit you promote.

Ray

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 3.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 03-16-2016 06:32

Excellent points made by Raymond, and I'm sure you'll get some more to this thread. Totally with him on the 'What you permit you promote'. I used to allow students to try and do two things at once, but in practice, there is a stark difference between those who are at every rehearsal they're called for and those who think they can manage both. Often they can't, and it's a hard lesson for the students, but one I hope they get (some don't).

It's unfair for you to be hauled before administration, but stick to your guns. I was similarly hauled before administration for a student and her mother who believed they should have had a bigger, more prominent role in our fall musical. She was playing Eva Peron in Evita...last I checked it was the title role. :) The squabble was over the production being double cast, and that we had three performances, and she was only getting one night of the three. It didn't end well for her, sad to say, and we weren't able to reconcile. The upshot was that she left the production, and the atmosphere in the production changed overnight to one of joy, professionalism, and so on.

It's a tough call. You want to be able to share your performers with other activities, but rarely does it work out. Definitely stick to your convictions on this, back it up with evidence from this thread, and best of luck to you.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 03-16-2016 06:59
    Yes. From all angles. Students complain because they have lead roles, just not the lead they wanted. They complain when I don't have enough opportunities for big parts. They complain when I have too many. They complain about how they want to be better than their show last year, yet don't rehearse choreography or songs or lines at home. They fuss about costumes.

I told my 6th graders that I was getting them pizza after school on Thursday before their show and several students wanted to know where it was from, etc. I told them "wrong... The correct answer when someone says they are giving you free pizza is thank you."

They are so used to getting what they want, when they want it that sometimes the nature of what we do is hard to grasp. I just look at it as what I have to teach them. I just remind them about how competitive it is in the real world and that sometimes you have to work your way up, do your best, and just suck it up.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 03-16-2016 07:27

"student quit the musical last year because he wasn't cast as a lead and didn't bother to even memorize his lines for the class final last year. He didn't audition for either the two other plays this year."

This is where I would pin my hat.  I think you are absolutely on target in your reasoning and expectations.

Just make sure to clearly state your expectations.  Going forward, you may have to compromise this time, but in the future, if you do not already do this, have mandatory parent meetings where expectations are outline and communicated in a written drama contract.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 6.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 03-16-2016 07:42

I can relate with you there, (this is also my second year) as I have dealt with many of the same issues and people being upset they didn't get the role they wanted and that others were undeserving and so they choose to not show to rehearsals and make other things priorities. The good part is those folks will now be gone after this year leaving only students who never knew the old person. Sometimes you just have to wait the old group out unfortunately. 

Jason Lehman
    Griffin GA

• 7.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 03-16-2016 08:33

Many of us have walked the mile... it stinks but it will get better.  So many good comments!  I would like to add...I fully support my students participating in another show if that is what they want to pursue.  The student's point about not having control over what they do outside of school hours is correct.  However, they are not excused from my rehearsals to do something else.  I try to make it the student's choice whenever I can....ie:  "I understand you have the opportunity to be involved in another show.  That is awesome, but you made a commitment to our show and I cannot change our rehearsal schedule.  In order to stay in our show, you will need to be at the scheduled rehearsals for the full scheduled time.  It's your choice."  Then hold the student to whatever your expectations are for your show.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 8.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 03-18-2016 08:04

Amy, you read my mind.  

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 9.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 03-16-2016 13:17

Some great responses so far!

From your post, it seems you walked right into damage control mode without realizing it. But that's where you are now -- trying to fix problems someone else left behind.

I had to do that in a scene shop maybe ten years ago, but at least I was forewarned and could plan my strategy. Basically, on my first day, I sat everyone down to a meeting (with lots of food) and said, guys, as of today, there's a new regime here and a different way of doing things -- we're going to run this place like a professional shop. Then I proceeded, while they were happily munching away, not to give them a bunch of rules, but to explain, nicely, where I was coming from and why. I also made it a point to say, I'm not your boss; you don't work for me. You -- we all -- work for the audiences that spend their time and money to come here and see a show. If we all want to keep our jobs, we have to keep the customers coming back.

A month or so later my boss told me she had noticed the crew seemed a lot happier and the camaraderie was far better than before. And all it took was explaining what I expected and softening the blow with some goodies.  :-)

Is sounds like you're starting to do some of  this, and yes it'll be a lot easier once some of these kids graduate and fresh ones come in. In the meantime, I might suggest a couple of things.

One, realize that most people out there do not understand theatre, but they're always happy to make assumptions about what it is and how it works. To that, you add that a lot of people do not like change. So keep explaining and educating them.

Two, I would consider talking to that other theatre company you mentioned. Maybe they have no clue what you're doing and that your shows are overlapping, but maybe there's a way around this. If nothing else, they can certainly support you by reinforcing that doing two shows at once helps neither one. And who knows, they could even become a resource for you in terms of borrowing stuff or people back and forth.

Third, I would talk to the "big" coaches at your school. They probably have rules and regulations and such about attending practice and so on, and may even have a couple of ways of handling prima donnas. And, if they have a policy of a kid not being in two sports at once, there's a precedent for you when you present your case.

Go for it, and keep us posted!

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 10.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 03-19-2016 07:57

I think George had a great suggestion in speaking to the other theatre company. I live in a very small town with two high schools, a community theatre, a college, and a new acting school. It can be a struggle at times, but we have all tried to not "step on each other's toes" so to speak with auditions, rehearsals,  and show dates. With the exception of the acting school, it has worked out well. I think it is director courtesy and they would be happy to sit and talk about ways that everyone involved could participate fully.

Rebecca

S. Rebecca Cates
    Teacher/Theatre Director
    Madison Southern High School
    Berea KY

• 11.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 03-17-2016 13:07

Wow, sorry you are going through this and I hope you will post the outcome of your meeting.   It seems like there were some real red flags with this kid and you wanted to give him a chance....which he has blown.  I would stick to my guns and only relent if directly told to do so by the admin.  It might be good to make they understand what this might do to the quality of the shows in the future.

I cast out of my Advanced class only if possible, so all activities are graded. This helped a lot, but if I do take on someone who is not in my cast, they go under contract that they and the parent signs.  They cannot have a lead role if that is the case.  I follow the same policy as all coaches on our campus.  This means a  kid can't quit a sport and switch to theater.  The coaches love this and support me likewise, but I had to begin that conversation.  And it keeps the kids accountable.  The coaches and I have grown into working well together and making sure kids keep their promises.

Recently, I was contacted by one of our local theaters about an actress who had run out on them.  After talking for a bit, we decided to support one another by asking common actors to get references if they had worked with the other.  If one of my kids auditions there, a reference is required and vice versa.  We have two good community theaters and this has worked out well so far.

All that said, don't worry if some kids just plain quit. Let them and do smaller shows until you build up your own group.  It sounds like the group culture you inherited was very negative, so let it go if needed.  Several left when I began my job due to the high expectations I have, but new ones joined and we grew.  Any change of the guard will mean some will quit.  Perhaps they will find a better fit in another activity and everyone will be happier.

I have a wonderful admin and we communicate very well.  If that were not the case, I would probably not be doing this. Once you set those precedents, it become part of standard practices and everyone knows what to expect.

Best of luck to you in moving your program forward in every way!

Georgann Lanich
    Tallulah Falls GA

• 12.  RE: Entitlement

Posted 04-08-2016 14:19

Thanks to all who responded on this post. It is still an ongoing issue, but end result of the parents meeting with admin and department chair (I was not invited to either meeting) was positive. The department chair is firmly on my side and admin thinks I am doing a good job. Both tried to get the students to realize they were being listened to, but the program would continue as it is. The parents were told that they could more positively help the program by volunteering to help rather than complaining about what we lack. 

YES!

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA