Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Recent Articles?

Posted 03-14-2016 13:02

Any good recent articles about controversy or issues in contemporary theatre? Each year, we do a school-wide writing workshop (separate from all our regular curricular writing) in which each department gives students an article and then a prompt requiring them to write a persuasive essay taking a stand about the issue in the article. 

Last year I did the Sound Design Tony controversy. I know this is sort of a long shot, but any ideas/article suggestions? 

------------------------------
    Lee Daugherty
    Mt. Vernon High School
    Alexandria VA

• 2.  RE: Recent Articles?

Posted 03-14-2016 21:58

Unknown Play by an Unknown Playwright

Excerpt:

"In the world of the Unknown Play, you don’t want to give away the premiere status of your work too easily.  All the companies want that World Premiere status. They want to be able to say that they discovered it. Because, in order to produce you, they will need a grant.

Why? Because our subscribers will not come to see the Unknown Play. Especially by an Unknown Playwright. Where did you get your M.F.A.?"

Unknown Play by an Unknown Playwright

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: Recent Articles?

Posted 03-15-2016 05:56
    I'd try some articles about color blind casting. (Try the Dramatists Play Service Website). There were a lot of articles in the fall about a white actor playing MLK, which drove this spate of articles. The comments got pretty vicious.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Recent Articles?

Posted 03-16-2016 08:23

Howard Sherman was the keynote speaker at EdTA Conference two years ago.  His website is a great resource for articles about censorship of all kinds.  I highly recommend it. http://www.hesherman.com/

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    Slatersville RI

• 5.  RE: Recent Articles?

Posted 03-15-2016 08:17

Don't know if this is 'recent' enough for you, but it certainly deals with controversy. It's an article about a play dealing with ISIS and the radicalization of youth that got pulled 10 days before it opened, produced by the National Youth Theatre in England. 

Controversial Isis-related play cancelled two weeks before opening night

the Guardian remove preview
    Controversial Isis-related play cancelled two weeks before opening night
    Creators of a controversial play exploring why British schoolchildren are joining Islamic State claim they have been "silenced" after the show was cancelled less than a fortnight before its opening night. Homegrown, a National Youth Theatre (NYT) production, was closed down on Thursday, with the cast and crew given no prior warning.
    View this on the Guardian >
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 6.  RE: Recent Articles?

Posted 03-15-2016 10:17

In 2014 there were at least a couple of articles in The Boston Globe about controversy surrounding Thoroughly Modern Millie at Newton North High School.  There was also at least one letter to the editor in response (I think more), then a week or so later a more general article about how minority groups are represented in theatre (both in play texts and in casting choices).  Lots to think about, argue, discuss, and form opinions about!

This is one of the articles, but there were more:

'Thoroughly Modern Millie' show at Newton North High School sparks controversy - The Boston Globe

BostonGlobe.com remove preview
    'Thoroughly Modern Millie' show at Newton North High School sparks controversy - The Boston Globe
    When it premiered in 1967 with Julie Andrews, it was a "thoroughly delightful" hit movie, according to the New York Times review, praised for its flapper costumes, dancing, humor, and singing. Forty-seven years later, a stage version of "Thoroughly Modern Millie" performed at Newton North High School is triggering a backlash from Asian-Americans who say the musical's racial racist stereotypes are hurtful and unacceptable.
    View this on BostonGlobe.com >

Sounds like a great project! 

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 7.  RE: Recent Articles?

Posted 03-15-2016 10:25

Thank you so much, all! These are great! 

Lee Daugherty
    Mt. Vernon High School
    Alexandria VA

• 8.  RE: Recent Articles?

Posted 03-16-2016 12:11

I write a great deal about issues in theatre, on my personal site and on the site of my program at The New School College of Performing Arts. You may find something of interest by scanning these.

Arts Integrity Initiative

Howard Sherman

Howard Sherman
    New York NY