Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Any Stage Lighting Equipment Expert?

Posted 03-11-2016 19:52

Good day to all,

I'd like to get some advice around choosing the perfect stage pin connectors.

I'm about to set up some stage lighting and I'm thinking to choose between Bates or Group 5.

Do you have experience with either of them?

Or perhaps for prices better than here:

http://www.atielectrical.com/wiring-devices/stage-pin-connectors

------------------------------
    Raz Thomas

• 2.  RE: Any Stage Lighting Equipment Expert?

Posted 03-12-2016 08:57

Why stage pins when three prong twist locks work just find and won't pull out. I haven't worked in a theatre with stage pins in many years.

Phillip Rayher
    Director, Theatre Dept.
    Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts
    San Francisco CA

• 3.  RE: Any Stage Lighting Equipment Expert?

Posted 03-12-2016 11:04

Hi,

If this is a new install, either twist lock or three pin connectors will work fine. Rosco, Union Connector, Leviton, etc all offer the same types of products. In our area, 3 pin (2P&G) are very common on new installs. If you are adding to a current installation, then I would go with what you already have.

I don't believe there is a "perfect" connector, simply the one that you find reliable and easy to use. You will pay more for the reliability of twist lock.

Take a look at the Production Advantage website

Electrical - Plugs and Connectors - Stage Pin

http://www.productionadvantageonline.com/Twist-Lock-Plugs-Connectors/

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 4.  RE: Any Stage Lighting Equipment Expert?

Posted 03-13-2016 03:40

Maybe more important than the connector brand is seeing that you are using the correct cable for extension cords.

The NEC (NFPA 70 - National Electric Code) is very specific about using Extra Hard Usage high temperature (90°C rated) cabling (even if it is to run low power items like LED lights).  The reason is that the cheap cable you get from big-box hardware stores and many electrical supply retailers is NOT durable to take the physical abuse encountered on the stage, nor is it high temperature rated.  The high temperature rating is so the cable jacket won't melt and short-out the conductors to the metal frame of the stage lights that they may get draped across.

The second concern is that the cables are properly terminated.  This means getting the hot / neutral / ground (black / white / green) conductors on to the correct pins for reasons of electrical safety, and seeing that the cable outer jacket is securely clamped by the connector's strain relief.

If the connector you purchase requires that the cable conductors be pre-terminated, then make sure you have the proper kind of crimp tool (Thomas & Betts WT111M Plier Type Crimping Tool with Cutter for A, B, C and PT Non Insulated Terminals and Splices) to secure the ring connectors (copper crimp ring lug) to the cable, and that the individual conductor insulation is not trimmed-back excessively and exposing the copper leads to the other nearby leads.  If the crimp ring lug is properly installed there should not be any 'stray' wires sticking-out anywhere - if there is, then start-over, you need practice.

Test it after construction before it ever gets used.  Check to see that each pin leads to the corresponding pin at the other end of the cable, and to no others.

If you are repairing pigtails on stage lighting instruments, be extra attentive about testing the electrical connections to the lamp socket and the ground connection to the lighting instrument body.

If you are repairing pigtails or panel receptacles on dimmer output plug strips, be sure to kill the power to the dimmer rack before you attempt any repairs (this is an NEC requirement - not just a 'good idea'.  Be extra diligent about testing the electrical connection of the ground pin to the conduit and junction box.

Non-Insulated Copper Ring Type Crimp Terminal

Non-insulated Ring Terminal inserted in crimp tool jaws - note the orientation of the seam to the tool die.

Non-insulated Ring Terminal inserted in crimp tool jaws - note the orientation of the seam to the tool die.

Non-insulated Ring Terminal being crimped.

Non-insulated Ring Terminal after being crimped.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems