Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  On the Town Dino skeleton

Posted 03-06-2016 09:47
    We're doing On the Town in April and coming up with the Dino skeleton bit (it has to collapse at the end of the scene) within a reasonable budget is proving more difficult than I thought. Does anyone have an idea or where to rent or buy for a reasonable price? I'm in New Orleans.

Kate Arthurs-Goldberg
    Jesuit Philelectic Society

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: On the Town Dino skeleton

Posted 03-06-2016 12:59

This is one of those cases where a single bit in a show can eat up the entire budget and all the time available if you're not careful.

Depending on how you're staging the show, and what the set looks like, and how you treat the scene, you might be able to do a flat cutout and paint it like a 3D piece. Or maybe a flat cutout, painted like a silhouette, might work as part of the museum exhibit. You don't necessarily have to play the scene in the entrance hall with the large skeleton -- it could be an exhibit elsewhere or one off to the side of the large one.

Making it collapse could be as simple as suspending parts of it with nylon fish line and letting them all go at the correct moment. Or maybe Ozzie just leans against the exhibit and knocks it over.

There are lots of dino skeleton images online, as well as photos of museum exhibits.

Have fun!

BTW, I went to a Jesuit high school.  :-)

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 3.  RE: On the Town Dino skeleton

Posted 03-07-2016 07:30
    We used a balsa wood scale model that was able to be rebuilt each day. It barely lasted the run, but it worked and collapsed beautifully. The lines don't say that Dino is full sized....