Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sound Software

Posted 03-03-2016 10:36

Can someone recommend a cheap, or better yet, free, software program I can download to my laptop to run cues for our spring show?

We just want to run some pre-show music and a few sound effects. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 2.  RE: Sound Software

Posted 03-03-2016 11:11

Couple of options:

Create a playlist and run it off your laptop's music player program. Can be a little slow in catching the cues, so practice before opening night with the timing of playing the cues at the right spot.

Q-Lab is for Macs, is mostly free (pay for more sophisticated options), but that runs sound and lighting too.

Super pikey method: get a portable speaker, auxiliary cord connect your phone to it, and play the sounds/music you need from that.

Not knowing what your set up is, not sure if this'll be the most correct answer.

:)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Sound Software

Posted 03-03-2016 11:12

Q-Lab is in industry go to. We use it for all productions. Free version can't do video and has limited effects, but it has all the basics. Don't be intimidated by it. Read and watch you tube videos and you will be flying!

Figure 53 | QLab | Download

Figure53 remove preview

Figure 53 | QLab | Download
    You can use your QLab 3 Pro Audio, Pro Video, or Pro Bundle license to unlock corresponding features in QLab 2.
    View this on Figure53 >

Break legs!

Steven Beckingham
    Drama Teacher
    West Linn High School
    West Linn OR

• 4.  RE: Sound Software

Posted 03-03-2016 13:12
    Hello gang,

I have used a program called Soundplant, available from soundplant.org for $50.  It allows you to assign specific sounds to each key on a standard keyboard, adjust volume per key, fade in or kill options; and you can save multiple key layouts.  Best investment I ever made for running sound effects, preshow music, etc.

Best to you all,
    Aaron

--
    A. W. Miller
    Theatre Arts Director
    I.T.S. Troupe #1523 Director

Private Acting Lessons from Dramedy Acting

All Things Zombie: Original T-Shirts, Games, Movies, and More!

Read: The Sad Man by A. W. Miller

• 5.  RE: Sound Software

Posted 03-08-2016 08:11

Is Q-Lab available for the IPAD? Or, can someone recommend something that will allow me to run my show from an IPAD?

Ava Grimm
    Carrollton TX

• 6.  RE: Sound Software

Posted 03-09-2016 14:01

Figure53 makes an ipad app called Go button and qlab has an ios remote app to control your Qlab

Mark Tennyson
    Los Angeles CA

• 7.  RE: Sound Software

Posted 03-03-2016 14:46

multiplay sound cue software

Bryan Elsey
    Teacher
    Callander ON

• 8.  RE: Sound Software

Posted 03-04-2016 08:49

Joining the chorus for Q-Lab. If you have a Mac, it's the way to go. The free version is stunningly powerful. Once you understand the myriad possibilities of fade cues, it astonishing what you can do with it. The online support/user community is VERY helpful.

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 9.  RE: Sound Software

Posted 03-04-2016 14:41

I use a program called SoundByte, from Black Cat Systems.  It replicates the catridge rack from radio days of yore.  Each sound cen be hotkeyed, linked, looped, etc.  Can play multiple sounds at once.  It is fast enough that you can time a phone ring, cutting the ring off mid-ring.  It is $39, and is available for just about every platform.

Computerized cart rack machine radio automation software - play mp3, WAVE, AIFF, and other sound files at the click of your mouse

Blackcatsystems remove preview
    Computerized cart rack machine radio automation software - play mp3, WAVE, AIFF, and other sound files at the click of your mouse
    With Sound Byte, the so-called "cart machine" used at commercial radio stations in the past is now available to anyone with a computer! Whether you're programming a commercial radio show (or amateur podcast), adding spice to the commentary at a local sporting event or simply organizing your personal playlist, Sound Byte beats the competition hands down at a great price.
    View this on Blackcatsystems >
    Richard Shultz
    Derby KS

• 10.  RE: Sound Software

Posted 03-09-2016 08:37

We have Windows all over.  Show Cue Systems http://www.showcuesystems.com/ works easily with tons of features.

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]