Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Extending Songs

Posted 03-03-2016 06:49
    When doing a Broadway, Jr. Show, are you allowed to extend or add songs from the original show? We are doing Shrek, Jr. and I would like to use the full version of "I Know It's Today," and add in "Who I'd Be."

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Extending Songs

Posted 03-03-2016 11:15

Best check with your MTI representative. Maybe it's a case of paying extra, or maybe there's agreement that can be made. Best bet would be to talk to the rep so you're absolutely certain of what you can and cannot do according to your license agreement. OUr school just did the Jr. version of 'High School Musical' and I think we weren't able to change/extend songs, if I remember correctly.

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Extending Songs

Posted 03-04-2016 09:13

I know the feeling!  We are doing GODSPELL jr.  and I would love to add "By My Side" but my contract explicitly states that we cannot make any changes or add anything to the production.  I'm interested in what you find out.

~~Keith

Keith Rollins
    Drama Teacher
    Dalton Public Schools - Dalton Middle School
    Dalton GA
    Twitter - @DMSDrama
    Insta - @DMSTheatre

• 4.  RE: Extending Songs

Posted 03-08-2016 11:42

That's definitely an MTI question.  My experience with MTI is that the answer is always no, but I think that really depends on the playwright/composer and what they've stated.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 5.  RE: Extending Songs

Posted 03-09-2016 18:17

The answer will always be 'no' from your rep, cuz you need to go up higher the food chain to get a 'yes.'

;)

Stated with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Here's one reason behind the 'no.' The Junior ShowKits (for middle schools and certain other groups IIRC) is all inclusive --- it includes the author's royalty in a flat price of the ShowKit for as many performances as you'd like for the term of the license. (That may have changed, so check with them for The Final Word.) And the term is usually for a calendar year (to cover your school year).

One flat royalty. If you were producing the full length version of a corresponding title, you would pay the author a Royalty for each performance based on your projected ticket income, with a minimum of $100 (as an example --- and subject to audit).

That's one reason why the line is drawn pretty deeply: educational groups are getting a steep discount. They're more likely to let you cross the line by allowing an adult into a Junior show than allowing changes to the materials. I'd guess there may also be something contractual with the Authors, too.

If they started making exceptions, the floodgates would open with all kinds of hybrid productions. Plus: what materials would they send? They'd have to send you full-length version scores (rental), those would be in different keys fro the Junior materials, etc.

A minefield of logistics.

Michael McDonough
    New York NY