Open Forum

View Only

Calling all Musical Experts!

• 1.  Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-02-2016 19:14

I am about to take on writing my second musical for my troupe. I did it last year because I simply could not find a musical that fit our needs. Everything worked out great, but I'm a little more nervous this time around. My student population is so small, I have to pick the musical based on them rather than audition for any choice musical. And This year I am running extraordinarily low on soloists. I have one fantastic heavyset baritone and one very inexperienced freshman sophomore. That's it. Anyone know of a musical that is primarily ensemble numbers?? I enjoyed writing because I had full control over the musical selections, but if I could just find one that works for us..believe me..I would like to rest a little this spring!

------------------------------
    Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Lake Park GA

• 2.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-03-2016 08:22

When necessary, I'm a HUGE fan of doing musical reviews. Look at "Smokey Joe's Cafe" and there are dozens of others from MTI and R and H.  Or you can just string a series of popular Broadway songs together and do a straight up concert-style review.  Sooooo much easier to rehearse than a book show.

Break a leg.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 3.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-03-2016 11:13

As long as you make sure you're paying the license fee for the use of all of those songs, and you have permission...:)

ensemble style shows: Evita is pretty awesome as an ensemble show (Evita, Che, and Peron are your main leads, otherwise everybody else makes up the ensemble)

'Godspell' is kinda ensemble, though there are several solo parts.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-04-2016 14:52

Might I suggest Tintypes (MTI)? small cast (originally 5, 2 men and 3 women) each plays multiple roles in the show.  I expanded it to 12 (well, actually 15, but I had 3 drop) with no problems.  Great music, great parts, do not need to be super strong singers.  We had a blast doing it.  Orchestra is a piano and drummer.  (Piano part is tough).  Simple set.

Check out the opening number on youtube.:

Tintypes -Opening

YouTube remove preview
    Tintypes -Opening
    Tintypes -Opening OBC
    View this on YouTube >

We loved doing this show, and I want to do it again someday.

Richard Shultz
    Derby KS

• 5.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-04-2016 21:05

Your statement that you might be "writing" a musical gives me pause because you then go on to describe using existing songs.

A musical is comprised of a score and libretto.

Permission will never be granted to shoehorn existing songs around a libretto of your own creation --- whether they be pop songs or from various other musicals. UNLESS the songs are in the public domain.

As others suggested: creating your own revue is fine, but there are limitations on that: no book, story line, through line, character/arcs, costumes, sets, etc. A revue (of your own creation) = concert with suggestions of costumes, etc. A licensed revue (as in Tintypes, etc.) may have those dramatic elements because rights were given to an author/director to create them in the original (usually first class --- meaning Broadway or West End) production.

A revue falls under small rights permission (ACAP, BMI, SESAC): once you add dramatic elements (choreo, sets, costumes, etc) then you enter the realm of grand rights and the licensing houses who exclusively rep the author's work.

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-07-2016 08:52

Thank you so very much for your response.  I apologize that my original post was a little misleading.  No, I am writing my own musical....and will hire my own composer for my own original songs. However, I am always a bit nervous in taking on a musical on my own, so I like to have a full, complete show on standby that I could license if my creative devices fall through. 

Thank you for all of the information, however, while I have never considered using others' songs because I enjoy creating my own lyrics too much, I have always wondered what the rules were when it came to "revues" and why they could use songs out of context like that.

Here's a question....what about Karaoke tracks for just any song?  What are the legalities of using Karaoke tracks as part of a performance.  Not considering...just curious?

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Lake Park GA

• 7.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-07-2016 21:24

Ahhhhh, thanks for the clarification. And good luck - such a herculean task (IMO).

Re: karaoke songs

I can only speak to my experience with musicals - and the answer would be that you would need to seek permission from the author (usually through the licensing house). I'd guess in their view using a song from a licensed show is going to prove problematic --- regardless of the source --- whether using sheet music or retail karaoke or other type of so-called 'backing tracks.'

On the Stage Star (Broadway accompaniment CD's) licensing page, this notice is prominent:

Please note: our licensing scope is limited to the use of our specific sound recordings. No license of the performance rights is implied or included. Anyone considering production of a Broadway show or use of these compositions in performance should contact either an agency such as Music Theatre International, Tams Witmark, or BMI; or the compositions' publisher about performance rights.

Stag Stars competition licensing page

Using any other karaoke track (such as a pop song) would need permission from the appropriate music publisher.

Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 8.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-05-2016 14:37

I would direct you to go to Samuel French and use their fantastic search engine!  It is so specific, it's crazy!  You have to go to 'Advanced Search'.  And they carry a lot of 'lesser known' pieces that fit smaller venues/talents.

Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 9.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-06-2016 07:56

Acid Music and other loop based programs can get original music together in no time. All music built with the loops is your. They are shockingly simple to use.

Bryan Elsey
    Teacher

• 10.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-07-2016 08:55

I have not considered ACID Music.... I tried Studio One last year and it was way over my head. Usually I would hire someone to compose for me, but I have been struggling to find someone this year.  Thank you for the advice, I would look into ACID.  Do they have Swing type instruments available?

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Lake Park GA

• 11.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-08-2016 13:35

Total Electro Swing

Loopmasters remove preview
    Total Electro Swing
    From the smokey speakeasies of prohibition in America, to the electro clubs of today...Push Button Bang brings you a diverse collection of swing-era based audio source and electro mashups, guaranteed to inspire all kinds of avant garde in your music.
    View this on Loopmasters >

If you search for swing loops you'll find many. Look at Big Fish Audio-good place to start. Acid is drag and drop-draw the pencil to extend the loop, toggle your BPM for time, insert breaks to adjust pitch.

Spend an hour or two learning basics and its EASY!!

Sony Acid Music Studio 9.0 Tutorial | The Basics

YouTube remove preview
    Sony Acid Music Studio 9.0 Tutorial | The Basics
    A tutorial on the software Acid Music Studio 9.0 by Sony Leave any questions and requests in the comments or shoot me an email. Thanks for watching and be sure to subscribe.
    View this on YouTube >
    Bryan Elsey
    Teacher

• 12.  RE: Calling all Musical Experts!

Posted 03-09-2016 07:18

Analeise,

There are two that I can think of: All Night Strut, and Tintypes. All Night Strut features the music of the 30s and 40s (Bessie Smith, Minnie the Moocher, I Get Ideas, Fascinating Rhythm, etc.), and WWII (Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, White Cliffs of Dover, Praise the Lord (and Pass the Ammunition).  It's a SATB show, (but I think parts can be doubled), features lots of harmony and some solo numbers and requires some choreography.

Tintypes is set during the 20s and features music and headlines featuring Anna Held, Theodore Roosevelt, and Bert Williams.  It is also an SATB show with skits reenacting famous headlines from American history.  There are solos and group numbers in this one.

Have you thought about You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown?  It is an ensemble show, and does require solo singing, but it is a nice, easy way to break shy students into musical theatre.

Hope this helps!

Trenetta  

Trenetta Jones
    Teacher
    Lakenheath High School
    APO AE