Open Forum

View Only

Our Town

• 1.  Our Town

Posted 02-26-2016 08:02

I have decided to do "Our Town" and am having auditions soon. I am wondering about a few things: First, has anyone double or triple cast roles as I have some concerns about turnout at auditions? Although the play is beautifully written as is, I wonder what nuances directors have used to keep the story fresh and relevant while honoring the script and style of the play. Lastly, how have others staged this piece successfully that may have not been in keeping with the original simplicity and style of the play?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

• 2.  RE: Our Town

Posted 02-27-2016 08:30

I have seen Our Town with interesting staging and choices. One time there were ten narrators, all girls and it worked nicely. I also saw a production outside where the audience moved to a different location for each scene.  By the time we got to the graveyard scene, the sun had set and the actors held lanterns. It was a very spooky effect. I love Our Town!  Break  a leg :)

------------------------------
    Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 3.  RE: Our Town

Posted 02-27-2016 10:06

I did OUR TOWN the year of the September 11th attacks for our spring show.  I wanted to find a way to connect the play to the uncertainty and distrust we all were feeling as a result.  I created an envelope story where the play opens in an old abandoned theatre--lots of stacked chairs, things covered in dust cloths, trunks, etc.  I also created a false proscenium and a couple of balcony boxes--painted them all a faded red gold with lots of simulated cracks and chipped plaster.  In the dim light I had the cast enter, dressed in modern clothes coming onto the stage or down the house aisles, all looking dazed and confused as if they weren't sure how they ended up there.  While this is happening, I had a sound montage of new reports about Sept. 11th begin to play.  As everyone gathered on the stage, they all looked at the others with fear and suspicion--remaining separated and guarded.  As the montage faded, the stage manager walked onto the stage and over to one of the trunks, opened it and pulled out a stack of scripts or OUR TOWN.  She walked around handing each one a script and then began to distribute bits of costume which were in other trunks or crates or hanging.  Slowly, the cast began to put the pieces on, open the script and exit.  The stage manager stepped forward, lights come up and the play began.  At the end, after the final scene, we return to the abandoned theatre--the cast find themselves back on stage but now--having experienced Wilder's Grovers Corners--having learned the lessons of community and the preciousness of every moment of life--they look at each other with different eyes.  They walk towards each other and embrace as the lights faded to black.

It was a pretty powerful experience for both the students and the audiences and put a new relevance to an old classic in a way which became even more profound than I had hoped.

Interestingly, I considered doing the show again this year but with a different approach--which you are free to use or modify if you want.  I wanted to use the play to make a statement about our disconnection from each other due to technology.  My idea was to do an envelope story which started on a street.  Everyone is sitting or passing absorbed in their phones or other devices and something happens to someone--they begin having a heart attack or they are assaulted.  Everyone continues their activities, oblivious of what is happening right in front of them.  At this point the stage manager enters and immediately all the devices shut off.  Nothing works.  He then proceeds to give each person a script as I did before and the play begins.  At the end I thought, we would find ourselves back on the same modern day street in the same moment of time we started and the person is in distress.  All the devices come back on but now they are looking at each other--having connected as townspeople of Wilder's play.  They realize what is happening and step in to help.  It was just an idea.  

I love the play so much for what it has to say and hope to do it again soon.  Break a leg with it.  Such a wonderful and powerful--and relevant story.

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 4.  RE: Our Town

Posted 02-27-2016 10:11

Jennifer,

I am just beginning rehearsals for a community production of "Our Town." Through necessity, I had to double and triple a few of the minor roles. Notably: the characters who speak from the audience in Act 1 become the dead townfolk in Act 3. 

And the story is fresh and relevant by itself. The trappings (a milkman, etc) are dated, but the the core of the show remains as timely now as it was 75 years ago: As humans, we completely and utterly miss the basic joy of life itself. We are too busy to realize how precious each moment is. That should resonate loud and clear with a generation that has trouble putting down their smartphones. I might start by asking the auditioners: "If you died, right now, and had awareness of what was left behind, what would you miss that you currently take for granted?"

Also, speaking as someone who grew up in NH, be aware that a mistake you can make is to portray these characters as dour or unfeeling. Granite Staters are the ultimate in "still waters run deep." They are matter of fact, accepting of their lot in life, but not depressed by it.

A couple notes on NH-speak (apologies if you're already familiar): the Stage Manager routinely uses the word "aya." That word, a common NH placeholder, is best pronounced as if it were spelled "ayuh." Also, the capitol city  of Concord is pronounced "conquered" not conCORD (like the grape).

Couple others:
    Winnepesaukee: WINehh-peh-sawk-ee
    Contoocook: conTUHcook

Break all the legs!

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 5.  RE: Our Town

Posted 02-27-2016 13:11

We did Our Town several years ago.  At the time, my strongest parent supporter told me she didn't think she'd be attending the production.  She intensely disliked the show - it was depressing and boring.  I told her I was surprised as I didn't find it depressing at all but understood if it wasn't her cup of tea.  I did promise her that if she attended our production she wouldn't be disappointed. She ended up attending and at the end hugged me and told me she didn't think anyone could change her opinion on the show, but we had.  The only thing she disliked was the amount of crying she did at the end :-) 

We focused on "hope" from the opening to ending of the story.  When the kids shaded lines towards regret or sadness or depression I reminded them that we wanted our audience to walk out the door feeling hopeful not hopeless.  It really challenged them to find the nuances in the lines that still were authentic to the experience of the characters in the moment but ultimately empowered the audience to walk out with renewed purpose to embrace their own life, flaws and all.  It was and still is one of my favorite directing experiences.

We doubled several roles, similar to what Scott mentioned.  I love, love, love Ron's ideas and am making myself a note for the next time I choose that show.  Lanterns in a real cemetery are very interesting also.  So many options!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 6.  RE: Our Town

Posted 02-28-2016 13:41

I have directed OT the following way: All of the actors are on stage, observing the action from far US, sitting on long benches. These benches then convert to the church pews for the wedding. The character changes came from simple costume pieces, hanging on hooks or racks on either side of the stage. Sound effects also came from the actors US: bubble wrap for the snapping of green beans, the clatter of silverware at the dinner table and so on. The only scene that was fully realized with costumes and props was in Act 3, when Emily goes back to her birthday. 

It made for an enjoyable, quickly-paced show.

Jeffrey Cole
    Chesterfield VA

• 7.  RE: Our Town

Posted 02-29-2016 11:47

We did Our Town a few years ago-- in the "traditional sense"..... I took down all the curtains; we painted the floor like an abstract American Quilt; had 2 sound effects "men"; pantomimed all props; used minimal scenery; and had the actors enter from the wings--- they had to be careful about this as they could be seen in character all the way off stage, so we had to work on anticipating their entrances and responding the the stage manager.  We did capitulate to one tech device-- we used a gobo for the church window and some leaf pattern breakups for the outdoor scenes.  Otherwise, it was pretty minimal.  We focused on the pantomime and on the costuming as our real tech push for the show.

It was a great experience for our troupe.  I think a big opportunity for us and it worked out very well.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 8.  RE: Our Town

Posted 03-01-2016 08:20
    The "Our Town" I directed was based on the Oregon Shakespeare Festival's production in their outdoor theatre. The only changes in the setting were: a rented 'back of a theatre stage' painted drop and the church choir practice was performed in the shallow orchestra pit we have. Instead of having the show outdoors (November in Washington state tends to be a little wet) I brought in a fiber optic star field. We did all of the traditional pantomime and sound effects and also did a "church window" gobo for the wedding.

In the final act, I had the "dead" come on stage in grey copies of their regular costumes and sit in the chairs of the graveyard. As the stage manager goes into his final speech all of the remaining characters come onstage with individual chairs and the same grey costuming. The stage manager then stands in front of an empty chair that has had a grey coat draped over it and puts it on. He says his last line and sits disappearing into the rest of the cast. The stage lights go to black, the audience can really see the fiber optic star field at that point and then I had the entire cast do a collective loud sigh in the black out.

I did not double cast the show as I was fortunate to have students who were capable of the crazy line loads (Stage Manager and Emily).

Good luck with your productions of this beautiful show.

Warren Kerr

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Our Town

Posted 02-28-2016 14:11

I LOVED doing this play!  Think it was 2002? Maybe 03. . .  We wanted to focus on the aspect of "timelessness" of the script, so the set was designed with a series of "floating" clocks  that illuminated individually when the stage manager referenced the time.  Then at the end, they all glowed simultaneously when Emily has that beautiful line that "we just don't get it" or something like that and, of course, the Stage Manager's response "Nope. . . Saints and Poets maybe. . ."  And, I wouldn't do this again - would instead get a sound designer, I layered over a few classical Aaron Copland standards throughout, especially "The Tender Land" as an underscore to the final scene in the graveyard. 

Also, as serendipity would have it, one of the local community theatres was doing an "Our Town" production a month or so before ours. I happened to know a few of the cast so, unbeknownst to most of my high school cast, one night I had the Community Theatre's "Stage Manager" step in for one of our performances. No rehearsal, no planning. Just pure "in the moment" acting. The kids LOVED it and the old guy who stepped in that one night said it was the most honest and exhilarating performance of his life! :-)

"Our Town" is SUCH a great play and it is so right that you are asking for ways of making it more relevant to your community. 

Michael Fisher
    School Director
    Springfield OR

• 10.  RE: Our Town

Posted 02-28-2016 16:41

Thank you you ALL for your thoughtful, exceptional suggestions on Our Town! I love every idea. Keep them coming...!

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 11.  RE: Our Town

Posted 02-29-2016 05:45

My daughter is a violinist and when she was in high school the drama director asked her to play the violin for the show.  She had a costume and played during scene changes and at some other moments in the show, kind of like the Fiddler on the Roof violinist.  For her, it was a wonderful experience.  She had never been in a play before, met new friends and really enjoyed participating.  The violin added an emotional dimension to the show that music can only add. Everyone loved the violin and her and I was so grateful she had this opportunity.   I cannot remember the exact pieces she played but I am sure any fine violinist could feel the mood and play appropriately. 

Corinne Walker
    Lyon, France

• 12.  RE: Our Town

Posted 02-29-2016 09:23

As long as you set (and keep) a solid well planned rehearsal schedule you can pretty much triple cast any show... the planning on your part becomes much more important than you will ever imagine.  Set a scheduled early and run everything with every cast multiple times - in the tech week plan three tech rehearsals!

Other than a lot more work for you double and triple casting is really not much different than any other show with understudies - other than it requires all up front to commit to the work - and a really good schedule!

Our town does not need any "tweaking" to make it relevant!  It is as close to a perfect play as you can get - if you keep the sound created by human beings, and plan the reveal of Emily from the funeral procession well - and get George to sob realistically you will not have a dry eye in the audience!

Break a leg!

Robert Holter
    Helena MT

• 13.  RE: Our Town

Posted 03-16-2016 14:57
      |   view attached

I did Our Town last year at my international school in Nairobi, Kenya. It was so much fun. The kids were so skeptical when I described it. A few notes: 

1. Reading Wilder's notes on the play, and even its opening production which he, in part, disliked, he said the play was "a martini, not a milkshake." The biggest mistake made was making it corny and nostalgic. The play was veery avante-garde at the time. As much as I was tempted by the really beautiful creative stage designs I saw online, I decided that these adornments worked against Wilder's intention of relentlessly keeping the focus on the story, so I staged it simply, with a long thin riser along the back wall (which was stacked into an abstract layered effect for Act 3's cemetery) where the whole cast sat and watched until their entrances. I hated the look of those curved trellises so I left them out. I also added tiny lights on lines high up for stars. The houses were delineated with strong lighting creating hard-edged rectangular spaces. 

2. I had an extraordinary narrator, a Kenyan with a velvet voice and a very strong sense of gentle authority far beyond his years. 

3. We spent an enormous amount of time getting the miming actions right, esp the two mothers and everyone entering and exiting the houses. 

4. MUSIC: Our school has a strong musical program, and since we already have the hymns sung in the play, I wanted to add a bit more music. This was our most significant change. After the choir rehearsal, I had my Simon Stimson sitting at the piano playing Eric Satie's Gymnopedie 3, which cast the perfect mood in the blue moonlight. Returning from Intermission to Act 2, the morning of the wedding, we are told there had been a huge storm overnight. Just before Act 2 began, in barely visible light, the whole cast came out and did a finger snap, hand clap, thigh clap, jumping thunder storm for 2 minutes. Google it. Quite a cool effect and transition.

Most importantly, I ended the show with a song, Malcolm Dalglish's "A Psalm of Life". This began with piano mimicking Dalglish's hammered dulcimer, then a single voice, following the Stage Manager's final line. Others joined in, standing from their seat graves and others drifting in onstage, until everyone was singing strongly. The text is from a Longfellow poem, and I believe it honored the play while providing a transcendent message of hope to this sober ending, while in no way being flippant. It was an almost 'holy' sense at the end. Here is the song's text, taken from the poem:

Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
       Life is but an empty dream!
    For the soul is dead that slumbers,
       And things are not what they seem.

CHORUS
    Life is real! Life is earnest!
       And the grave is not its goal;
    Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
       Was not spoken of the soul.

Lives of great men all remind us
       We can make our lives sublime,
    And, departing, leave behind us