Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pink Lady Jackets and Leather Jackets

Posted 02-22-2016 17:49

As my group works on the spring show "Grease," we are having problems locating costumes that work. Party City has Pink Lady jackets, but they are one-size-fits-most and made of very cheap material that's easy to snag. I foresee these being ripped in practice. Party City also has "leather" jackets for $30, but the have an appearance of trash bags. I don't have a huge surplus of money for these items, but I do have funding available. Does anyone have leads on where to find these items or have them to rent?

Thanks so much. 

------------------------------
    Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    Hebron High School
    509 S. Main St.
    Hebron, Indiana 46341
    grigsbyj@HebronSchools.k12.in.us

• 2.  RE: Pink Lady Jackets and Leather Jackets

Posted 02-23-2016 07:31
    I did GREASE last year.. PPS Apparel on line has pink satin baseball jackets.. then I got them to a printed and silk screened or you can get the iron on kit at craft store. ACMOORE... 

Leather jackets donated.. then made patches onto black fabric for the guys logo.. stitched it lightly on leather jackets people donated.. I have them if you want to pay shipping and a small donation to my program, I can send to you..

Style #

Description

Adult - Satin Baseball JacketFlannel Lined 
    Christine Dougherty
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Delsea Regional School District
    Franklinville NJ

• 3.  RE: Pink Lady Jackets and Leather Jackets

Posted 02-23-2016 07:39

I found leather jackets at the local thrift stores.  It took several trips to several stores over about a month, but I ended up with almost a dozen.  Most were about $20.00

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 4.  RE: Pink Lady Jackets and Leather Jackets

Posted 02-23-2016 08:07

We are also currently working on Grease - the licensing costs were more than double what we've ever had to pay for a production, so we are definitely looking to be frugal on the production costs.

We were able to rent the Pink Lady jackets from our local professional theatre, who had done Grease about 5 years ago.  They have an extensive costume collection, and their rental prices are very reasonable.

The local university also has an extensive costume collection -but their prices are much higher.  But, you might reach out to other theatre companies nearby to see what they might have.

Another HS in our area is doing Sound of Music (which we did last year). We were able to swap our Sound of Music costumes for a golf cart that is already decked out to be Greased Lightning... it was a win-win for both of our programs.  Both items would have just been sitting in storage otherwise.

So, now my question for the group is - what is your best source for wigs?   We need a nice blond wig for our Sandy, but the ones we've found so far look too fake or are the wrong style.  

We open in 2 weeks - but ticket sales have been steady.  We use Seat Yourself, and we've already sold over 625 tickets online alone!  I also accept orders the old-fashioned way with an order form... but licensing payments were ridiculous for this show, so we're really hoping that this show's popularity covers all the bills and leaves enough to get us started for next year!

Melissa Mintzer
    Penn Manor HS
    Millersville, PA

• 5.  RE: Pink Lady Jackets and Leather Jackets

Posted 02-23-2016 08:26

I did the show several years ago.  We also had a very limited budget.  What we ended up doing was asking the students to buy a baseball jacket with embroidery.  Pink for the girls and black for the boys.  The black baseball jacket gave what I think is a bit more reality to the show since the real "greasers" of the era often couldn't afford the leather jackets.  All of the kids wanted them and all but one paid for the themselves.  One girl couldn't afford the jacket and the other students all pitched in and bought her one.  Here are a few pictures from the production:

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    Slatersville RI