Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Readers Theatre Rights for Producing Movie Scripts

Posted 02-19-2014 09:25

My search for a holiday play to produce which is family friendly, cause Dramatic Publishing holds on the rights to  A CHRISTMAS STORY-nonmusical version so late that it is not easy to include in the season,  has led me to look for alternative familiar holiday scripts with low technical requirements, but not another version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL..So I welcome any ideas for holiday scripts.

Then I thought about doing a readers theatre version of HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS and inviting faculty members/administrators/town leaders to come in and read a fun nonpivotal role. Now when I look for script version of the movie, I find some pirated Jim Carrey version.  Still looking for a copy of the movie script of HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS.

So here are two other questions, how legal is it to produce readers theatre productions of movie scripts?  
    And if the rights are available, where do I find copies of well-known movie scripts? 
    -------------------------------------------
    Gai Jones

• 2.  RE:Readers Theatre Rights for Producing Movie Scripts

Posted 02-19-2014 15:52
    Hi, Gai--

For reading copies, try the Internet Movie Script Database.

As to the legality of doing a public reading of a film script... probably not so much.

Don Corathers
    Director of Publications

• 3.  RE:Readers Theatre Rights for Producing Movie Scripts

Posted 02-20-2014 10:26
    Unfortunately, film scripts and television scripts have even more rigid restrictions than many theatre scripts.  Warner Brothers, for example, has two tiers of copy writes, international and domestic.  They are even "raiding" the tourist stores that sell scripts. 

I just tried to get performance rights for a "West Wing" episode and went through a lot of red tape and got shot down - and that was with a "friend" in the legal department!

Kathleen Conner
    Asst.Head of School

• 4.  RE:Readers Theatre Rights for Producing Movie Scripts

Posted 02-20-2014 10:39
    Kathleen,    Did they allow you to read the script in class?

Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright

• 5.  RE:Readers Theatre Rights for Producing Movie Scripts

Posted 02-20-2014 12:13
    Try searching the various theatre rights-owning organizations for titles & you might find something.  Example:

MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET, THE PLAY (Dramatic Publishing) - based on the movie.
    We did this in December 2012 as a full-scale production - kids had a blast with it, audience loved it.

Also, Next Act Theatre (in Milwaukee, WI - www.nextact.org) has done IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE: LIVE RADIO SHOW (adapted by Mary MacDonald Kerr) for two years now - awesome production [www.nextact.org/?n=Season1314.WonderfulLife].

4 Largest Rights owning/granting companies:
    Playscripts - www.playscripts.com
    Dramatists Play Service - www.dramatists.com/
    Dramatic Publishing - www.dramaticpublishing.com
    Samuel French - www.samuelfrench.com/

Eric Christiansen