Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vintage wheelchair

Posted 02-21-2016 20:26

We are beginning rehearsals for The Man Who Came to Dinner this week, and I'm having little luck coming up with a wheelchair for this production. Anyone have one to rent or have ideas about creating one?  Many thanks!

------------------------------
    Monica Williams-Mitchell
    Cincinnati OH

• 2.  RE: Vintage wheelchair

Posted 02-22-2016 08:40
    Monica,

I don't know about where you are, but in our area you can rent all kinds of medical supplies (including crutches and wheelchairs) from a medical supply store. Have you looked into that?

Jen

--
    Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Drama & Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    413-395-7023

• 3.  RE: Vintage wheelchair

Posted 02-22-2016 08:43

I was lucky that our local community theatre has one that we use from time to time, but I did look into buying one on Ebay. They are out there. You might also see if there is a prop shop in Ohio. I know that there is one in Chicago and they may be able to rent and ship one. Since it is essential to the show, you may have to spend some money to get one.

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 4.  RE: Vintage wheelchair

Posted 02-22-2016 11:47

Since you're looking for a "period" wheelchair, I'd suggest a prop rental house first, and eBay second. Or, you can try local nursing homes and hospitals, which often have old pieces (sometimes very old pieces) stored somewhere that they just haven't tossed out.

Another possibility is to ask around your community: maybe someone has an old one in the attic or basement that they don't know what to do with. I've seen it happen more than once.  :-)

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 5.  RE: Vintage wheelchair

Posted 02-25-2016 16:35

Call your local colleges and any community theatre with prop storage.  The wooden wheelchair needed for "The Man Who Came to Dinner" was used until WWII, so they show up in a lot of plays.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: Vintage wheelchair

Posted 02-26-2016 10:21

If you're looking to purchase instead of rent I'd check vintage thrift stores in your area. You should have, hopefully, one or two that work almost exclusively with vintage materials. We have one here called White Dove and is run through Hospice of the Valley. Maybe check with the local Hospices in your area to see if there is something similar. Good luck!  

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ