Open Forum

View Only

academic eligibility requirements

• 1.  academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-21-2016 19:08

I'm wondering if any of your schools impose an academic eligibility requirement for drama students to participate. Admin here is applying the guidelines as written in the athletic handbook and I don't believe it can be translated directly in terms of probation periods, sitting out for practices and events, and removal from the "team."

I've offered to draw up guidelines for non-athletic groups and am seeking input. 

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Phillips
    teacher/director
    Memphis Community Schools
    Memphis MI

• 2.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-22-2016 06:05

Elizabeth,

My school does not, though in our program we do ask for a current grade printout for all auditions, and I also check grades throughout a production.

I'd love to hear what others do in hopes of perhaps putting something more solid in place in our program!

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 3.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-22-2016 06:35

Our general policy states that students on academic or disciplinary probation are not permitted to audition or participate in the production company. If a student is placed on probation during the production process they are dismissed from the company. This policy was established by our theatre program but is well supported by the administration. The state athletic association (OHSAA) requires a student to receive a passing grade in at least five (5) one credit courses, or the equivalent. Our school probation is based on semester or cumulative grade point below 1.6.

Tamara Plasterer
    Artistic Director, Fine Arts Dept. Chair.
    Padua Franciscan High School
    Parma OH

• 4.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-22-2016 08:08
      |   view attached

We are held to the same policy that governs athletes in my district.  One of my responsibilities as assistant director is to print a weekly report that shows any student on my list who has a grade less than a 70% (C).   Each of these students receives a form that I fill out that lists the class, current average, and requires both the teacher & parent signature.   We use Sapphire, and I had to be given different permissions  - but it allows me to view student grades in every class, as well as run the weekly reports.  

These students receive the forms on Thursday afternoon, and are due back to me, signed by all parties by Monday, making them eligible to participate that coming week.  No paper = no practice.

There is a comment section for the teacher to use - because sometimes their gradebook has empty columns for upcoming assignments or any grades that have not been entered, which may be calculating as zeros and skewing the percentages.  I have attached the form for the library, if that helps anyone - please feel free to modify as needed.

With a D average (60-69%) - a student is still permitted to rehearse/do crew work, but must complete one hour of tutoring for the class in question.  This is often done during our homeroom period on T-W-Th during the school day instead of attending a club.  

If a student has an F (less than 60%) in any one class, they are not eligible to participate at all, and must be sent home.  They must also attend tutoring sessions.  We operate on a 4x4 block schedule - so students only have 4 classes at a time.

At the end of a marking period, if a student has an F in any of their classes -they are ineligible for 15 school days.  This situation just popped up in January at the change of semester (it's like the first day of school all over again) - we had a cast member with an F in a science class for MP2, and had been on the weekly report beforehand.  We openly discussed it with his parents along the way - and he had been a 'frequent flier' on the list in previous productions - but that MP2 grade made it impossible for him to continue in his role, forcing us to recast.

In my Spanish 2 class, I had a cheerleader who failed MP2 because she never did three significant assignments after absences (despite many reminders) - and even though she passed the class with a D, the MP2 grade of an F prevented her from cheering for 15 school days, forcing her to miss the end of the basketball season.

I agree that theatre participation is very different - because all students involved do not have the same skillset/uniform.  We can't easily just put someone else in a performance at the last minute because of eligibility like a coach can pull someone from the bench.  However - I can appreciate that there is consistency and every student is being held to the same standard.

We do check grades as we hold auditions, and immediately begin weekly monitoring - so our system does allow us to keep tabs on the kids fairly easily. And usually, knowing that we are watching -and not wanting to risk ruining the show - most kids keep their heads above water academically on their own.

Melissa Mintzer
    Penn Manor HS
    Willow Street PA

Attachment(s)

docx
    PMP-EligibilityForm.docx   106 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-22-2016 08:11

Our school is all boys, and they are declared eligible or ineligible by the quarter.  Ineligible means they may not participate at all.  Can't say I'm a fan of the policy, or that (fortunately) I've had to deal with it often, but there it is.   Of course, there is not a similar restriction on the girls in our productions as they are not students at this school, but at neighboring schools.

Monica Williams-Mitchell
    Cincinnati OH

• 6.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-22-2016 08:54
    Is your program curricular, co-curricular on non-curricular?
    I've always run a program that was curricular. Whenever I've had an admin that wanted to have us follow "the same guidelines as sports" I've explained that since my program is a class, it doesn't make sense to pull them out of a play because of their grade in another class.
    This would be like pulling a student out of a math class because their English grade is slipping.

If a student is unable to keep up their grades in other classes because of the hours that are being spent in Drama, the only time to pull them out is at the semester.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, CA

• 7.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-22-2016 09:42
      |   view attached

Our school (a Catholic, all-boys HS in San Francisco) has a requirement of a 2.0 GPA or higher.  However, for theatre cast and crew I started a policy of 2.5 minimum years ago, so that I don't have to babysit their grades.  It has to do with work ethic, that translates directly from GPA to work after school.

For the gals that come from other schools I created a form that the girl, her parent and the school has to sign off on.  I have attached that form.

Hope this helps.

Valerie

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA #fftfellow
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-22-2016 10:22
    Our school applies the same requirements to all extracurricular activities,and our lead just lost two weeks of rehearsal. But applying the same rules puts us on even ground with athletics, like the basketball team who lost a player for an important game. The rule is 2 D's or 1 F and the student becomes ineligible.
    Harsh? Yes, but in our case, any effort at all would have improved a grade, so now they know they must do their part.

Sent from my iPad

• 9.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-22-2016 12:23

Because public opinion saw the football players being given special treatment, my administrators are holding ALL extra-curricular activities to the same eligibility requirements. I tell my cast members on day one that I will be checking grades on a weekly basis. I have explained to my administrator that I can't pull a student at tech, and she refused to see it any differently than a student being benched before a game. She sees the negative impact on the team as equalling the negative impact on the cast/production (even though WE know that there is a HUGE difference). I know I won't win in an argument with her because of the football favoritism accusation, so I have decided not to wait to be told if someone is ineligible. I put students on probation as soon as I see multiple Fs. If grades don't go up, they get replaced. As soon as possible. Before this year, I never had to cast understudies. Now, it's a necessity. 

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 10.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-22-2016 13:57

I do follow the 2.0 requirement that our school system has for all extra-curricular programs. Theater has never been included but when I took over nine years ago I began following that rule. I have only had to enforce it once and it was this year. 

Douglas Parks
    BMS Tech Contact
    Junior Thespian Director Troupe 88963
    #BlennyTheater
    Instagram: BLENNYTHEATER
    Twitter: @Blenny Theater
    Blennerhassett Middle School
    "Classrooms change when students start to believe their thinking matters."

• 11.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-23-2016 10:50

I am in a private middle school so we do not have to adhere to county school procedures.  Since our rehearsal period spans more than one grading period, we do not adhere to the eligibility requirement that our sports teams do.  We usually cast the second week of school for the plays for the full academic year so that our students have less trauma and also can plan what extracurriculars they want to prioritize.  We also justify this because when one student is removed from a cast, it effects all of the other students directly, not just that one student.  It is not like  a sport where there are substitutes on the bench.  I do not use  understudies because, in my almost 30 years of directing, I have only once needed an understudy to go on.  I do think you can make a strong case for eligibility requirements being different for the Arts than for Sports. Having said that, I do send a cast list to our faculty for red flags before we post so that I can be aware of students who need help with managing their time. 

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 12.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-23-2016 13:06

Eligibility requirements are tricky for theatre. As one poster stated previously, 'benching' someone in tech week has much more intense fall-out than a member of a sports team being benched...there's usually 4-5 players ready to take another player's place in a team, and then that unused player who replaced that guy who got benched goes on to score the winning point in a district game, and then gets scouted for the All-star squad...yeah, that just doesn't happen in theatre. :)

It's also tricky because, both in my experience and from anecdotal evidence, there is vast report of how 'that struggling student' with the low grades gets into theatre, and through their renewed interest in 'life', they start doing better in school and getting their grades up. This doesn't work all the time, and I have plenty of students who need pestering to keep their grades up, but we practice the attitude that the extra-curricular program is just that, extra-curricular, and that they need to balance all their academic commitments with the expectations of our extra-curricular program. I've only had to let one student go due to poor academic performance (which was also, to be honest, due also to not having the right rehearsal attitude as much as their academics being on point) in three years. Which is nice.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 13.  RE: academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-23-2016 14:33

Our district holds all students to a 2.0 with no F's for any extracurricular participation. I am working to get my program to be curricular (i.e. a 7th period class) to have a little more control over absences and quitting. If it becomes a class the requirement will change.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 14.  RE:academic eligibility requirements

Posted 02-26-2016 18:02
    When my kids audition they need to get every teacher to sign their audition form and list a current grade. They can't audition or join crew if they have a d or an f.

If during the season they start to fail, they get put on probation and then eventually removed.

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------