Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Omg! The complete works of Wm Shakespeare (abridged)

Posted 02-20-2016 10:11
    We are presenting The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, abridged, and there are a few lines in there that I feel are too risqué for a high school presentation, even though it is one of the most often presented plays. My specific areas of concern are " the ass of a man and hung like a donkey" , "Female genitalia" , even "bastards" has me concerned. Any ideas for rewrites?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
    This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or distribute this e-mail message or its attachments. If you believe you have received this e-mail message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and telephone immediately and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 2.  RE: Omg! The complete works of Wm Shakespeare (abridged)

Posted 02-21-2016 16:36

Try talking with the publisher about your concerns. In some situations, it is possible to cut a play for high school performance-- as in for an adjudicated or festival performance, or for time, in the case of a school tour of scenes or shows.

------------------------------
    Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Omg! The complete works of Wm Shakespeare (abridged)

Posted 02-22-2016 13:10

Every time I've seen "Complete Works" it's been very different, with set bits, gags and improvisations that do not match up with the previous. I've heard that the authors actually encourage changes within the script, so that the bits that may have worked for their first performances don't become dated over time. I'm not sure where this may be written in the contract or in the script (I don't have it in front of me at the moment), but the wikipedia page for "Complete works" notes:

"The script contains many humorous footnotes on the text that are often not included in the performance. However,improvisation plays an important role and it is normal for the actors to deviate from the script and have spontaneous conversations about the material with each other or the audience. It is also common for them to make references to pop culture or to talk about local people and places in the area where performance is done. As a result, each performance can be vastly different from another, even with the same cast."

In other words, perhaps more than any other play that I've encountered, it's highly unlikely that the publisher or author would object to your changes. (As always, however, study your contract with them in detail, and if they don't provide any kind of blanket amnesty for changes, ask!)

Tim Mooney
    timmooneyrep.com
    Prospect Heights IL

• 4.  RE: Omg! The complete works of Wm Shakespeare (abridged)

Posted 02-22-2016 13:16

It's always best to follow your contractual commitments. Just send an email to the company that holds the rights and ask if you can change it. It really is very simple and I've never been turned down.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Omg! The complete works of Wm Shakespeare (abridged)

Posted 02-24-2016 01:49

We just did this show in November. I cut lines like “hung like a donkey” but used “female genitalia” and “bastards.” FYI, my cast ranged from elementary school through adults (not a school program; after school non-profit I direct). I had an honest conversation with both cast members and their parents. I did not hesitate to cut anything too overtly sexual for my own judgment (working with this troupe for over 15 years now). But audiences LOVED the show and I had no complaints from anyone. FYI, we did have an "in" with the authors, since a company member knew them quite well; they were thrilled with how we treated their material, and very open.

Richard Carter
    Author/Director: Community Shakespeare Company;
    MS/HS Teacher, Lopez Schools
    Lopez Island, WA

• 6.  RE: Omg! The complete works of Wm Shakespeare (abridged)

Posted 02-24-2016 12:58

I remember reading the performance script, and I remember throughout and in the author's notes that they do encourage you to keep the references topical and up-to-date. Highly recommended to keep the licenser appraised of the additions/changes you would be making.

Generally, when I've seen high school productions of CWS the more successful ones are those that don't treat it as a museum piece that their troupe director wants to maintain it as when they saw it twenty years ago. And ones that don't just mimic the original, too.

The authors seem very approachable and willing to work with folk.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL