Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Curtain Refurbishing

Posted 02-18-2016 13:46
    Hello!
    We are located in NJ and are looking for a company that restore our current curtains. We hoped Rosebrand did this, but we called and they only do new curtains. We can't afford anything new right now. Do any of you know of companies that can refurbish? Thanks!

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Curtain Refurbishing

Posted 02-19-2016 08:02

At our school, we have the same problem.  Our curtains are falling apart and our school won't pay for new ones...unless I do an exorbitant amount of paperwork and get three estimates, and event then, it takes about three years to generate the funds....

So, I would love to piggy back on your request for any company that can clean/repair/and rehang our curtains.  

Thank you for the post :)

------------------------------
    Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 3.  RE: Curtain Refurbishing

Posted 02-20-2016 09:05

Reynolds Drapery in New York offers a restoration service. I have not worked with them, however, it would be interesting to pursue.

That being said, you might try vacuuming your drapes, that can help brighten them up a bit.  

If the drapery is torn or missing grommets and has damaged chain pockets, much of the repair work can be done by a team of volunteers; however, the nap of the new material will not match the old and you will have to use synthetic velour as it is inherently flamer retardant.  Make sue to check with the manufacturer, however.

One of the biggest concerns for most older drapery is that the flame retardant that was applied years ago does were out and the just get torn or damaged over time, even in the most careful of theaters.

If I were faced with your situation, I would try to hand stitch and or repair the drapes in place as best as I could and then get quotes from companies for replacement and refurbishment. Most school districts can capitalize this kind of work; however, it might take some time.  Contacting a theater consultant or getting a visit and inspection from someone like Rose Brand is also a very good idea.

Try searching the posts here as there are a few threads about drapery replacement.  Eric Friend is a great resource and can guide you in the best steps.

------------------------------
    Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC