Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Posthumous induction

Posted 02-17-2016 13:41

Hey everyone. We recently had a tragedy in our program. A 9th grade student who took drama classes and was part of the cast of our spring musical was hit by a car last week and died shortly thereafter. She was one of those students who you knew was going to make theatre something she did all four years. She had yet to be inducted into our troupe but was planning on doing so this semester. Is there any precedent for thespians inducted posthumously? Has anyone else done this and can offer advice as to what kinds of things they did to honor the student?

------------------------------
    Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA

• 2.  RE: Posthumous induction

Posted 02-18-2016 07:37
    We had two similar incidents a few years ago.  One student was killed with two other students in a car accident.  The other, who had never drank before, died of alcohol poisoning.  We did plaques with a photo on top that hang in our drama showcase. We also acknowledged them in silence at our production.  It is a very tough time for everyone.  Thinking of you troupe.

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information in this e-mail and in any attachment may contain information which is legally privileged or confidential under federal, state or local laws or regulations. It is intended only for the attention and use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to retain, disclose, copy or distribute the message and/or any of its attachments. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify me and delete this message. Thank-you.

• 3.  RE: Posthumous induction

Posted 02-18-2016 09:14

I have no words of advice to offer here, only heartfelt sorrow and sympathy for you and your students. Please know of our prayers for you. I will, however, follow the thread to see if any advice is offered. We had a student take her own life last summer. She had just completed her first year in our school and had done a great job as part of our spring musical. I'm not sure if this (post-humous induction to ITS) would be the best idea here but it's certainly worth consideration. 

Susan Renstrom
    Head of Fine Arts
    Charlotte NC

• 4.  RE: Posthumous induction

Posted 02-18-2016 09:45
    Wow, this really hits home.  First of all, I am sorry for your community's loss.  We just recently had a grad from last year who was involved in theatre pass away and I have been wondering this same thing-- how to honor this student and their impact on the theatre.  

Some things that I have come up with so far:  Dedicate the next production to this student and their family and invite the family to the show.  Be involved in creating a scholarship fund in the student's memory.  Induct the student posthumously at your awards ceremony at the end of the year, invite friends and family to say kind words, share stories, etc.

Looking forward to hear from others about their responses.

Best, 
    Julie Estrada
    Theatre Director
    Windsor High School
    Windsor, CO. 

Julie Estrada, MEd.
    Theatre Director
    Windsor High School Theatre
    1100 West Main Street
    Windsor, CO 80550
    NOTE the change in email address as of 12/2/2015:

• 5.  RE: Posthumous induction

Posted 02-18-2016 13:20

My only thought against posthumous induction is that, as a parent, I cannot imagine how that magazine coming every month to my deceased daughter could possibly be endured.

I think acknowledging her achievements at the induction ceremony would be lovely.  You could even have an empty chair with a rose in it in place of where she would have sat in the ceremony. Perhaps you and your students have pictures that you could have printed and compiled into a book, along with students happy memories of her, to present to the parents at the induction ceremony.  Compiling the book of memories would be cathartic for the students, and the book would be a beautiful thing for the parents to keep.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC