Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  *Good* Ancient Greek Spoofs

Posted 02-18-2014 14:57
    I'm thinking of assembling a multi-bill of one-acts for next school year, something that would intelligently spoof the ancient Greek classics.  I rather like Rich Orloff's Oedi and Christopher Durang's Medea, but even together they're too short to fill out an evening - I'd probably need one more.  But since each of those scripts focuses on one particular play of the era, I'd like something else that does the same thing - not some scattershot approach spoofing Greek tragedy in general.  Anyone have any ideas?

-------------------------------------------
    Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville, FL

• 2.  RE:*Good* Ancient Greek Spoofs

Posted 02-19-2014 07:07
    While it's not a straight spoof of one show, take a look at Woody Allen's "God-A Comedy in One Act." Some risque' bits, but I remember doing it in my HS back in the late '70s to great success. It's a wonderful sendup  of all things greek with two Greek playwrights (Hepatitis and Diabetes-yes, it's silly early Woody) trying to prepare for a playwriting competition. 

Not quite what you've described, but might make a nice counterpoint, and I could see it stitching the evening together.

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director

• 3.  RE:*Good* Ancient Greek Spoofs

Posted 02-20-2014 09:42
    Have you considered The Idiot and the Oddity, available through Playscripts.com? About 35 minutes, tons of characters or easily double cast. I teach at a middle school, so some of the dialogue is a bit "adult" for my school. It was staged at the 1994 Thespian Festival as part of the Thespian Playworks program.
    Ed Fitzgerald

• 4.  RE:*Good* Ancient Greek Spoofs

Posted 02-20-2014 10:46
    I did The Idiot and the Oddity a few years ago. The audience really enjoyed it and the kids had alot of fun with it as well.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District

• 5.  RE:*Good* Ancient Greek Spoofs

Posted 02-21-2014 11:06

Governing Alice from Playscripts is an updated Antigone...it's a re-telling of the story and it retains the original themes. Instead of a Greek Chorus it is a Geek Chorus and is set in high school. Although there is some humor - it is listed as a Dramedy. 

http://www.playscripts.com/play/151
    Glenn Morehouse Olson
    Theater Teacher, Director

• 6.  RE:*Good* Ancient Greek Spoofs

Posted 02-24-2014 10:28
    Interesting that The Idiot and the Oddity should be brought up.  I do know the script; in fact, it was written by one of my former troupe members, and my troupe gave its first performance.  I'm thrilled and proud that it has gone on to be performed by so many other groups.  In this case, however, it's an example of what I'm not looking for, since it dumps a number of different Greek myths into a playwriting blender and hits the "purée" button, where for balance with the scripts I'm already looking at, I think my best bet would be a script that sends up one specific ancient Greek tragedy - though the Woody Allen piece mentioned earlier might make an interesting prologue, so I'll definitely check it out.  Thanks for the suggestions, and I welcome additional ideas.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville, FL

• 7.  RE:*Good* Ancient Greek Spoofs

Posted 02-20-2014 10:57
    Agreed! I'm actually presenting "God" this spring - my third production in 30 years! As a spoof of the Greeks, it works as written, but there are loads of other opportunities to satirize other targets as well. And, as a gag, I substitute the Greek chorus roles for cue cards and the audience! They love being involved. Always been a huge hit! ------------------------------------------- Michael Fisher School Director -------------------------------------------

• 8.  RE:*Good* Ancient Greek Spoofs

Posted 02-20-2014 12:54
    In college, we did Oedipus the Musical, which was hilarious.  I believe that some of it was too risque for high school ( this is going way back), but some of the scenes were really funny and more appropriate. Perhaps a cutting.  Also Playscripts.Inc has the playThe Greek Mythology Olympiaganza you can check out which spoofs the Illiad.  Good Luck! Christina

Christina McGovern
    Drama Director
    Ridley School District

• 9.  RE:*Good* Ancient Greek Spoofs

Posted 02-21-2014 08:42

Which Oedipus the Musical did you perform? There are two listed online. I'm interested :)
    John Perry
    Drama/ Humanities Instructor
    Atherton High School