Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Drama for 12+ Students

Posted 02-16-2016 09:01

I am in my final week of tech for my winter musical and for various reasons still do not have a play picked out for my spring play! I am looking for suggestions. I am hoping to direct a drama with 12+ girls and prefer not to produce a play made for high school students.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 2.  RE: Drama for 12+ Students

Posted 02-16-2016 11:36

Miss Polly's Institute for Criminally Damaged Young Ladies Puts on a Show by Don Zolidis. Well-written, pretty dark, funny, definitely 12+ females (1 male) and lots of cool, cool parts. A friend of mine staged it with her high school at our district competition and scored 'Superior' ratings, a combination of a great and talented ensemble cast, solid direction, and the solid script that this is.

Miss Polly's Institute for Criminally Damaged Young Ladies Puts on a Show}

Playscripts.com remove preview
    Miss Polly's Institute for Criminally Damaged Young Ladies Puts on a Show}
    Miss Polly's Institute for Criminally Damaged Young Ladies Puts on a Show | Miss Mylenbush, the semi-hysterical head of the theatre department at Miss Polly's Institute for Criminally Damaged Young Ladies, is about to put on the greatest tragedy ever written: Hamlet.
    View this on Playscripts.com >
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Drama for 12+ Students

Posted 02-16-2016 11:37

Playscripts also has this useful search feature where you can specify cast numbers, and gender balances, so you can search for a play that way, too. Very, very useful feature!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Drama for 12+ Students

Posted 02-16-2016 11:53

An oldie but goodie...

Produce an all-female cast of something Shakespeare :)

Phillip's suggestions is a really good way to help you choose. You can do something similar with Sam French as well. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ