Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Speech Participation and Thespian Points

Posted 02-11-2016 16:06

Hello,

During our next thespian officer meeting we have a student coming in to discuss making speech/debate participation worth thespian points.  We've never done that before, but it seems a natural fit.

I'm wondering if other troupes give thespian points for speech and debate events?  Is there precedent?  

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Tom Gillen
    Fargo ND
    Troupe # 4561

• 2.  RE: Speech Participation and Thespian Points

Posted 02-12-2016 08:14

If you're referencing the speech & debate team, then I would suggest you not give Thespian points for that. There is a point system (like the Thespian point system) for the National Forensics League (NFL). So, students participating in speech & debate should be earning points with the NFL.

Our troupe decided on no double-dipping for points.

Susan Nieten
    Theatre & English Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 3.  RE: Speech Participation and Thespian Points

Posted 02-12-2016 08:58

Hey Tom,

As I am the theatre teacher and speech/debate coach I understand where you are coming from. I award them only 2 points per semester for that category. It counts under Mic. Oral Interpretation. The only reason why I only count 2 points per semester, because they are using the same piece the whole year and we go to 13 tournaments a year. So to count for every tournament will give them an abundance of points. I hope this is clear. Let me know if you have any other questions.

​​​​​

Sincerely,

Brian Kaufman

Theatre Arts Teacher

Forensics Coach

Ravenwood High School

• 4.  RE: Speech Participation and Thespian Points

Posted 02-13-2016 10:53

Would Mock Trial count for points?

Karen Fairbank
    Director, eighth grade play