Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Edgy Docudrama Monologues

Posted 02-09-2016 10:25

I have a student who is looking for a specific type of monologue for his SETC audition - he is drawn to serious-issue docudrama (i.e. plays based on true stories). He's considering something from "The Laramie Project" but is afraid it is too overdone. 

His back up is a cutting from Paul's monologue in "A Chorus Line," but again, very well-known. 

Can anyone help with suggestions for docudramas we might look at?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ashley Bishop
    Director
    Birmingham AL

• 2.  RE: Edgy Docudrama Monologues

Posted 02-09-2016 13:02

Tim Price wrote a one-man piece called 'Protest Song', about the Occupy London movement. The character is a male, previously homeless, who gets caught up in the events of the weeks of the movement that occupied an area in front of St Paul's Cathedral. Tons of monologue material available from that, and likely mostly unheard of over here, so that might be a good bet.

Here's the link to the Amazon page for it:

Protest Song (Modern Plays)

Amazon remove preview
    Protest Song (Modern Plays)

View this on Amazon >
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Edgy Docudrama Monologues

Posted 02-10-2016 06:03
    Just about anything by Anna Deveare Smith.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Edgy Docudrama Monologues

Posted 02-09-2016 13:31

Try The Exonerated

Dramatists Play Service, Inc.

Dramatists remove preview
    Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
    Winner 2003 Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle Awards. "The #1 play of the year...intense and deeply affecting..." -NY Times. "Riveting. Simple, honest storytelling that demands reflection." -Associated Press. "Artful and moving...pays tribute to the resilience of human hearts and minds." -Variety. "Stark...riveting...cunningly orchestrated." -The New Yorker. "Hard-hitting, powerful, and socially relevant."
    View this on Dramatists >

and also Talking to Terrorists

talking to terrorists robin soans

Oberonbooks remove preview
    talking to terrorists robin soans
    "I looked around the room and I thought, I'm the only person in this room that hasn't killed anyone" Talking to Terrorists is a play commissioned by the Royal Court and Out of Joint. The writer, director Max Stafford-Clark, and actors interviewed people from around the world who have been involved in terrorism.
    View this on Oberonbooks >

Both are verbatim pieces.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 5.  RE: Edgy Docudrama Monologues

Posted 02-10-2016 10:50

I'd look at the work of Anna Deavere Smith, pieces like Fires in the Mirror or Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992. She does a series of interviews (former is about the Crown Heights incident and the latter is about the LA riots--and she has others) and then turns them into monologues--got to see Fires live back when I was in undergrad and it was an amazing experience.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 6.  RE: Edgy Docudrama Monologues

Posted 02-10-2016 08:58

Check out Elizabeth Swados' Runaways... quite edgy... I did some of the monologues with my my kiddo last year... tremendous range...

Debra Hubbard-Pastore
    Theatre Arts teacher
    Rowan Salisbury Schools
    Salisbury NC