Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ursula Tentacles - The Little Mermaid

Posted 02-08-2016 15:03
    We're trying to make big awesome looking tentacles that curl up, for Ursula.  The stuffing seems to heavy to keep them from curling. Suggestion, ideas. Please help!

Cheers,
    Delynne Miller
    Carman-Ainsworth High School

• 2.  RE: Ursula Tentacles - The Little Mermaid

Posted 02-08-2016 22:01

Something like that might require some puppetry work with the tentacles depending on how big/long and intricate you want them. 

------------------------------
    Brandon Lively
    OH

• 3.  RE: Ursula Tentacles - The Little Mermaid

Posted 02-09-2016 07:11

I am also currently working on The Little Mermaid. I have played with a few ideas for Ursula's tentacles and actually landed on the use of flexible duct work typically used for dryer venting. I cut a triangular piece out of the end and taped it into a funnel and am attaching them to a belt that she will wear. Makes them easily accessible and removable when she isn't on stage.  She will be able to move them independently or I suppose you could connect them to each other in order to move them all at once. 

Hope that helps!

Arthur Mendini
    SCVTS, AP Schalick High School
    Theatre Academy Instructor
    Pittsgrove NJ

• 4.  RE: Ursula Tentacles - The Little Mermaid

Posted 02-09-2016 07:50

I'm using pool noodles - stuffed with aluminum rod - so I can bend into shape.

after covering them - I am going to attach to a back brace belt that I have covered.

Tammy Smith
    Virginia Beach VA

• 5.  RE: Ursula Tentacles - The Little Mermaid

Posted 02-09-2016 08:30

Instead of stuffing, use tissue paper or newspaper. It will weigh so much less. It can crush more easily, but it is easier to handle and can be fluffed up quickly. I did this with a caterpillar for Alice in Wonderland.

THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED AND RESTRICTED FOR USE BY THE ABOVE ADDRESSEE ONLY. IT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. IN THE EVENT SOME OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY RECEIVES THIS TRANSMISSION, SAID RECIPIENT IS HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR DUPLICATION OF THIS TRANSMISSION OR ITS CONTENTS IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU SHOULD RECEIVE THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE CALL US IMMEDIATELY AT 309.827.6031, DELETE THE FILE FROM YOUR SYSTEM, AND DESTROY ANY HARD COPIES OF THIS TRANSMISSION. THANK YOU.

Bloomington Public Schools School District87
    Bloomington, Illinois

• 6.  RE: Ursula Tentacles - The Little Mermaid

Posted 02-10-2016 08:17

When we did the show, my costumer built an extension to the costume with tentacles made of tulle.  They have pockets built in where dowel rods are inserted so the puppeteer (tentacle singers) can manipulate it.  I rent it if you are interested.  Her dress is a size 12-14.  We have the wig as well.  I've attached a picture.  We actually made everything in the show if you need anything else.  Let me know  jheyl@ccboe.com,  Break Legs!

Jana Heyl
    White Plains MD