Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Textbooks

Posted 02-08-2016 08:23

I am working on updating my courses and part of that is textbooks. What are some of the best textbooks out there for both Theatre and Public Speaking?

------------------------------
    Charles Davis
    Teacher, Director and Coach
    Waynesville MO

• 2.  RE: Textbooks

Posted 02-09-2016 09:17

I'm a fan of the Drama Projects book from Perfection Learning (Basic Drama Projects | Speech Theatre Journalism Debate). I got the teacher's edition first, since my school didn't have a textbook budget for me, but I was able to add that in for this year. There's also a binder that goes with it that has a bunch of the worksheets it mentions, but I don't have that yet.

For my upper level acting and tech classes, I only use scripts, having found/made a lot of powerpoints to go over the different concepts. 

Allison MB
    Theatre Teacher / Director
    Nashoba HS

• 3.  RE: Textbooks

Posted 02-09-2016 10:12

I second the Perfection books mentioned. Perfection sent me their speech and debate book, I don't teach it but I perused the book and thought it was really rather good.

I think 'The Essential Theatre' is a great text, with a great flow, though a little more academic. It would be a great complement to 'Basic Theatre Projects,' though I understand you probably only want one text for a class set.

For technical theatre aspects, depending on how deep you're going, either one of those books is a great starting point. For further study, or if you have students who are interested, it might be grand to have a few copies of 'Technical Theatre for Non-Technical People'. 'Stagecraft Fundamentals' is also a great high school text, written at a high school level with much up-to-date information.

And then collect as many different scripts as you can for scene work.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Textbooks

Posted 02-09-2016 16:01

I like Basic Drama Projects for theater.  I use it for acting I for background information on everything we do.  It works very nicely and is a mix between a standard textbook and a more colorful magazine-style format--with lots of sidebars, activity ideas, and highlights of distinguished professionals in various fields.

http://www.perfectionlearning.com/tx2015-bdp

Kristen Statt
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH