Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Parent Volunteers and Set Construction

Posted 02-04-2016 15:05

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if any of you had a set of policies or protocols in place for using parent volunteers for set construction.  We are getting ready to build a large and complex set.  Our technical theater program is new, and at this point quite small with a total of four high school students, all of whom are involved with the production in other ways.  We are also trying to cultivate a core of parent volunteers.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Anna Ruggiero

------------------------------
    Anna Ruggiero
    Technical Director & Archery Coach
    Ashley Hall School
    Charleston SC

• 2.  RE: Parent Volunteers and Set Construction

Posted 02-04-2016 15:20

I've run into volunteer crews a few times, and found that basically they're all the same: just folks who want to help but may have preconceived ideas about how things work. You may ant to check out my blog post on getting the most from volunteers, at https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2015/06/11/getting-the-most-out-of-volunteers

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 3.  RE: Parent Volunteers and Set Construction

Posted 02-05-2016 07:44

Thank you George for you blog entry on that! Called myself out several times during it. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Parent Volunteers and Set Construction

Posted 02-06-2016 01:27

We use parent volunteers a lot, as most of those who volunteer have at least some - or considerable - expertise in the various fields needed, such as carpentry, metal work, painting, etc.  While we don't have a set policy or protocol in place I try to make sure they are familiar with the safety rules we've established for the students who may be working with them, such as:  use of safety glasses, gloves, proper masks for any spray painting, etc.  

Steve Halper
    Theatre Assistant
    Salpointe Catholic High School
    Tucson AZ

• 5.  RE: Parent Volunteers and Set Construction

Posted 02-16-2016 13:43

Word of warning.  When I directed Once Upon a Mattress, a father came to set construction.  I gave him the plans for the wooden box for the mattress stack, and he and his son set to work.  Later, when I went to the lumber pile, I found he had used all the 2 X 4s I had ordered for the entire set.  And he had used about a gallon of wood glue. The thing was so heavy that I had to order much larger casters.  

I found out from the son that his father built yachts for a living.  We said of the mattress stack that it was awfully heavy, but we were pretty sure it would float.  

It was a nightmare to break down, and absolutely no lumber from it was reusable.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC