Open Forum

View Only

Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

• 1.  Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-02-2016 20:39

Do you have a go-to lesson plan for when you are officially observed for your evaluation?  If so, what is it?

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-03-2016 09:50

I too would love a go-to lesson plan that hits many of the standards. That's where I'm struggling as a new teacher. 

Rebecca Kennard
    Las Vegas NV

• 3.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-04-2016 14:29
    Hi, everyone, Marti Fowler here.
    If I may reply as a former Fine Arts Department Chair and Fine Arts Co-ordinator, when I observed teachers, I was looking for a continuation of the unit being taught.  No need for a dog and pony show.  Your objectives and the alignments to the National/State standards should already be posted, so just go with your lesson.  A good evaluator should know that you are not always lecturing, indeed you may get the students working on a project from the day before and monitor their progress.
    I hope that this helps.
    Best wishes!
    Marti

• 4.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-03-2016 10:12
    I would like a copy of this as well.

--
    Jill Gable
    South San Theatre Teacher/Director
    977-7400 Ext. 7772

"Logic will get you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere."
                                                                                                                                          –Albert Einstein

• 5.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-03-2016 11:42

For what type of class?  

What type of evaluation system? For example - In the old days, I would be evaluated once every 3 years as a tenured teacher, and the evaluation had a preconference, the evaluation and a post conference. That was all.  

Currently, my evaluation consists of 5 drop in visits of 10-15 minutes ("touch points") and 2 full evaluations that are also drop in.  Written notes are given and a conference follows each visit.  Every teacher is evaluated every year. So far this year my drop ins have occurred in Acting, Advanced Acting and Leadership (non theatre course). 

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 6.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-03-2016 15:04

I have both formal and informal evals annually, but don't need to provide a written lesson plan. I have some paperwork that is filled out for the formal, but it is organized differently.

I've found that working acting exercises is something that can be easily observed (and make "sense") to an observer who isn't trained in theatre and allows for easy formative assessments immediately afterward. I like using monologues or duo scenes because they are short and allow the time for discussion on critiques, motivations, techniques used (and why THAT particular technique was chosen by the student), staging, etc...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-03-2016 16:41

I was asking the question more broadly, but my specific situation is one hour-long eval annually with an alleged shorter "pop-in" to follow.  Our district uses a version of the Danielson Framework.  Middle school theatre class.

I guess the bigger conversation I was trying to stimulate is what is the best way to show off what we theatre teachers do in a way that translates to administrator logic/language.  (My apologies to administrators who have a strong arts-orientation.  I'm sure they're out there.  I just tend not to encounter them).  I know, in part from many discussions in this community, that there are so many of us out there doing rigorous work that transforms students, but also that work doesn't always readily show itself to someone who doesn't quite know what to look for (an administrator, for instance, who may even be able to see and acknowledge that kids grow on our watch, but can't quite see the how behind that growth and just ends up saying "wow those kids are so talented.")  Plus, it seems that growth in the arts is incremental and long-term and may not show in a viewing of a single class period.

Of course I know that its our burden (perhaps our unfortunate burden in this evaluation climate) to explain that how and, ugh, translate it into data.  So I just wondered what great ideas people had for self-contained lessons that really "sell" our work in a way that is authentic (not just a dog and pony show.

Ryan Moore
    Royal Oak MI

• 8.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-04-2016 09:15

This is such a great conversation to have!

Since I cannot plan for my observations, I look for those areas within a lesson that match the natural strengths of a performance art to the current education trends in general.  Student Engagement, Formative Assessment, Cooperative Learning (or whatever the newest label is), Project Based Learning...etc...  We excel at these every day - it's what creating Art is all about!

Sometimes it's just capitalizing on opportunities to educate our observers.  I am incredibly blessed that my evaluator was a choir kid.  When she's having a bad day she heads to our end of the building to de-stress.  But I remember being in a district wide training session of UbD with some Central Office folks who were not arts oriented. They apologized for not being able to help me translate these concepts to our "show" classes.  (That's a whole other conversation :-)   They were surprised when I quickly explained that the rehearsal process, culminating in a performance, was a text book example of UbD.  Once I translated our world to their concept, the Arts became their go to for explanations.  

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 9.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-04-2016 10:11

Oh! @Amy Lean, 

you mean you don't *quickly adjust* your lesson when an administrator enters for their evaluation??? 

#TrainYourKids

Another reality is that the FORMAL OBSERVATION is required to be scheduled. So, in that case, the "translated" lesson plan offered here are what we could go to.

Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    Palm Beach Lakes High School
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 10.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-04-2016 11:44

The thing is...I can't.  

Our system no longer has the traditional "formal" observation.  All observations are drop in and any lesson plan is in play.  There is an open dialogue so that if an administrator wants to see something specific they may schedule a visit on a specific day or if the teacher wants the administrator to see something specific they may request a scheduled observation. But in general, we cannot pre-plan for evaluations which keeps things interesting!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 11.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-04-2016 09:21

I have two lesson plans that are pretty complete in themselves and have hard evidence of mastery.  One is on archetypes and the other is on Laban movement.  I'm always looking to expand my lesson plan library, so I hope this helps.

Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Acton MA

Attachment(s)

docx
    Archetype Lesson Plan.docx   25 KB 1 version
    docx
    Laban Lesson Plan.docx   27 KB 1 version

• 12.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-04-2016 16:06

Very nice, Jessica.  Just out of curiosity, what is that lesson plan format (the graphic layout) something of your invention or an established template?

Ryan Moore
    Royal Oak MI

• 13.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-04-2016 16:50

I will confess, one of the thing that paralyzes me when annually puzzling over this problem is that I have an innate stubbornness whenever I feel I need to bend what I know from years of experience to be good teaching practice to fit a particular format.  (And yet, ever the dichotomy, I do really get a charge out of reading about what's current in the education field, and enjoy learning about and absorbing new frameworks.  I like to have tools to organize my thoughts in new ways.  I guess I only get knee-jerk suspicious when someone says "this is what good teaching looks like.  Please fill these boxes.")

So, here's the present thing that's stuck in my craw.  I know that a good lesson plan, according to those who have the power to deem things good, is extremely specific.  The students are supposed to be able to do something new at the end of the period, and, often, in the examples we are steadily fed, everything going on in the lesson is laser-focused on achieving this end.  While I understand and believe in the importance of good essential questions and enduring understandings (my favorite parts of the new national standards), and I acknowledge the place of of learning targets, etc., I believe that the kind of growth that happens in theatre classes (very real, very important), tends to be more incremental and more subtle than this and tends to take place simultaneously in a range of overlapping domains.  Even if I go home on a given day saying "that was a good day in theatre class," I almost never feel that "it was good because the students are fundamentally different than they were yesterday."  Usually it was good because some long-term project has progressed slightly, because students worked well together and respectfully, because students used time given to them well, because students made a few astute observations, because they were really committed to the warm-up, etc.  I see teaching theatre as a long-game affecting the whole child, but the powers that be seem to desire something smaller-scale.  

Ryan Moore
    Royal Oak MI

• 14.  RE: Administrator Observation Lesson Plan

Posted 02-08-2016 17:34

I honestly created the template by myself on Word using an Understanding by Design format as the launching point.  Feel free to use it!  I found that the template helps administrators easily see that I'm achieving the checklist in good lesson planning.  

I personally get nervous when an administrator comes to observe, especially with our new evaluation system.  There is a strategy that I use on a lot of assignments in class called the pre-flight checklist.  When we start a bigger project, I give students a hard copy checklist of the steps in order and make sure they have everything required.  The NIES Technical checklists are a good example of this.

Connecting this back to administrators and observation, I had a conversation with my administrator about what the pre-flight checklist would be for me as a teacher creating the lesson plan.  Knowing what my particular administrator is looking for helped me feel much more confident when they are in the room observing, and helped me craft the template to reflect what they want to see.  I think it's totally worth it to ask your administrator for 15 minutes to ask for a small checklist.  

Some things my administrator looks for that I have in the lessons I shared:

-Lesson goals connected to frameworks/curriculum/arts standards

-Multiple intelligences in lesson activities

-Some form of assessment that shows comprehension or mastery of concept for the lesson (sometimes this is a scene, but I tend to put it in the wrap-up like the tweet)

I hope that helps!

Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Acton MA