Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wireless mics

Posted 02-01-2016 08:10
    I want to mine the collective wisdom of the group for honest assessments of the wireless Mics you've used. What are the maintenance issues? How sturdy are the components? What design features do you find most useful? Any particular "quirks" to be aware of? Any service issues?

Thanks in advance!
    JERFriedenberg

--
    ---
    John E. R. Friedenberg * Director of Theatre * Department of Theatre & Dance * Wake Forest University
    336-416-3142 m * 336-758-5995 vm * 336-758-5294 office 
    Are you subscribed to the Theatre & Dance alumni listserv? http://lists.wfu.edu/mailman/listinfo/wfutalum

• 2.  RE: Wireless mics

Posted 02-01-2016 19:44

I like to use miniature condenser omni-directional lapel microphones worn at the top of the hair line.  We seem to get the best response with those elements in that position.  We also like to EQ the board each night, though with a mic check call early in the performer's preparation process.  We've found that to make a big difference each night.  We tend to purchase middle of the road or low end microphones from Samson or Community as my students often drop the mic or snag  the cord on something and then the element is gone.  I tend to get four to five years out of each one.

In terms of transmitters and receivers, I like to go with, again, sort of middle of the road gear say $350 to $500 a system.  Those work fine for us and I do set them up in a case with an antenna distribution system to make set up and tear down a lot easier.  A snake specific to that case is also really useful.

We also like to make little elastic mic belts for our performers so they can wear the transmitter in the small of their back or on the inside of the thigh.  Tape is useful, too-- to hold the chord along the back or down the leg.

The biggest issues I've found from the equipment are interference from competing packs or from metal roofing.  I do not know much about what frequency's are available for the receivers and transmitters-- probably need some education there.  In terms of performer issues, it takes a bit of time for each performer to become comfortable wearing a microphone and in dealing with how that effects their vocal qualities.  A good board operator is also key as one can give a performer too much response and then they have to pull way back so a relationship between performer and board op is pretty important.  

Hope that helps.

------------------------------
    Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Wireless mics

Posted 02-01-2016 21:47

Hi John,

At Godwin High School we've had success with Shure brand mics, both the lavalieres that the performers wear on their faces and handhelds.

Maintenance wise, we've found that mics with distinctive on/off buttons or switches work best when an administrator or teacher who is unfamiliar with sound wants to use a mic and will need to find the power button in a hurry.

The Shure mics that we've had have stood up to regular high school usage, which includes some pretty rough-and-tumble handling. (We are a public high school, after all.)

We used to have a Sennheiser mic with the power button on the bottom. I don't know how long it was before this happened, but the rubber part of the button fell off and we had to use a pencil to push the button that was beneath the rubber. Using the pencil worked for a while, until someone jabbed something in there too forcefully, which pushed the button too deep inside for us to access.

Recently, we purchased a Shure PG58 mic with the BLX wireless transmission system. When it arrived, we literally unpacked it from the box, plugged it in, synced the frequencies with the touch of a button, and it started working. The manual was extremely informative and Shure has a good website (I haven't had to call their customer service, which I guess is a testament to the quality of their products).

Hope this helps!

Amy Ariel
    Troupe 4250 - Honor Thespian & Presidential Scholar
    Mills E. Godwin High School
    Henrico, VA

• 4.  RE: Wireless mics

Posted 02-02-2016 07:26

Hi Jerf,

We have used both Shure and Sennheiser wireless systems. Although we have had no appreciable difficulties with the Shure mics, we have found the Sennheiser transmitters to be a bit more robust. Our decision to go with Sennheiser initially boiled down to a better rebate for our existing/non-compliant system when the transition to digital took place.

For the mic itself we have transitioned to Countryman E2's. We have used E6's as well but the lower profile of the E2 has been a plus for theatrical applications. 

No maintenance issues with either brand but as always, issues with the cables for the Countryman mics. I don't think this is a design flaw, just the reality of usage. On the plus side, you can purchase replacement cable for the Countryman mics without having to replace the mic element.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 5.  RE: Wireless mics

Posted 02-02-2016 07:36

Can I use a Shure microphone with a Sennhesiser receiver?

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: Wireless mics

Posted 02-02-2016 22:36

John

Most manufacturers make microphone elements that will work work with other systems - you just need to oorder it wired to match Sennheiser.  Countryman sell their e2 and e6 in versions to suit Sennheiser transmitter packs.

Rod Reilly
    Somerset NJ

• 7.  RE: Wireless mics

Posted 02-02-2016 23:14

John

There are three (3) major components in any wireless system

1. transmitter-receiver system
    2. microphone element - lavalier, earset, headset
    3. antenna system
    4. racking system

Each of these components can be from the same or different manufacturers.

1. Transmitter-Receiver System

• only use UHF (or 2.4GHz) systems - not VHF
    • use PLL frequency agile designs not fixed frequency
    • common premium brands - Audio-Technica, Creative (my new brand due soon), Sennheiser, Shure ($300-$1000 per channel)
    • common entry level brands - Gemini, GTD, Nady, VocoPro ($80 - $300 per channel)

2. Microphone elements

• premium brands - Audio-Technica, Countryman, dpa, Shure, Sennheiser, Bodymics - Drury Lane (my brand) , Bodymics Broadway (my brand) 
    • all of these manufacturers manufacture versions to suit each others systems and others

3. Antenna System

• for best results use a pair of directional antennas connected to an antenna distribution system which then feeds each receiver.
      • these are made by Audio-Technica, Creative, CAD, RF Systems, Sennheiser, Shure
      • the receivers can now be placed next to the sound mixing console
    • Next best is to place the receivers in stage wings or above stage catwalk
      • even so it is best to reduce the number antennas by using passive antenna dividers - Audio-Technic, Creative/bodymics. Sennheiser and Shure all have these

5.  Racking

• for best results you should rack up your receivers in suitable metal rack/s or roadcase/s
    • do not just have a collection of receivers lose stacked - this is a disaster waiting to happen

WHICH ELEMENTS WORK BEST:

• for young children we recommend headsets that fit over both ears and behind the neck
    • for high schoolers we prefer miniature or ultra miniature lavaliers tape or clipped at the hairline in the center of the forehead, or taped to the cheek with surgical tape.
    • single ear earsets (Countryman E2/E6, Bodymics BE4/BED4/BEV4/DE3V, Shure, Audio-Technica) are a great compromise as they are easier to fit than taping a lavalier in position.

I could go on and on but ...

Rod Reilly
    bodymics.com
    Somerset NJ
    908-899-1277

• 8.  RE: Wireless mics

Posted 02-03-2016 09:23

I also use Shure. I've found that they work pretty well and aren't too expensive

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ