Open Forum

View Only

Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

• 1.  Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-14-2014 11:53
    I'm having trouble figuring out how to do the yellow brick road for our production of The Wizard of Oz.  I'm looking for suggestions or resources that may help.  Things I've considered and the reasons I don't think they will work: 

1. Painting the stage.  The problem here is that I don't know how to conceal the road during the Kansas Scene and the other scenes where the road wouldn't be. I don't think the Kansas set pieces will be large enough to conceal the road effectively. 

2. Using some sort of material to lay down the road.  How do you make this work logistically?  Won't it move during scenes and what kind of material to use that is cost effective and won't rip.  

I'm really stumped on how to make this work, look good and make sense.  Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much!

-------------------------------------------
    Kristi Jacobs-Stanley

• 2.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-14-2014 12:02
    We build a platform/steps in front of the actual stage and painted it. Then covered it with a black cloth once in Emerald City.

Tonya Bowyer
    Drama Teacher
    Radford City Public Schools

• 3.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-14-2014 12:16
    The yellow brick road really is in only a few scenes, so it is problematic. For our recent production, we painted it on the backdrop and then when done with, we pulled a curtain over to cover it, as you really don't need it after act one. Hope this helps!

Phillip Goodchild

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-15-2014 07:10
    We used wide strips of bright yellow duct tape and taped alternating bricks on the the carpet of the aisles.  My drama classes spent a couple of days painstakingly taping the carpet, but the effect was exactly what we needed.  The audience (especially the children) loved that they got to walk on the yellow brick road.  We just blocked the journey through the audience and the actors would wind up on stage for the scenes.  The tape we used did not cause any damage to the carpet.

Robin Christopher
    GHS Theatre Director
    Northeast Ohio

• 5.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-16-2014 07:36
    I got a carpet store to cut yellow carpet into different shaped sections and then we painted brick patterns on it. Crew moved the sections around for different scenes. For example, they were placard in a fork position for the "meet the Scarecrow" scene; carpet extended SR to SL for the Haunted Woods scenes, etc. I used rope lighting at the lip of the stage which was lit for appropriate yellow brick road scenes too. ------------------------------------------- Sonja Hansen Artistic Director and Choreographer Choreography by Sonja -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-16-2014 16:32
    I used a several lights with brick gobos with yellow gel. If you cut a hole in the middle of the gel and the enough white comes though to see the gobo, but it is tinged with yellow. Also we had them appear and disappear just as they walked onto them so it was as if their walking on it made it disappear (then they weren't yellow), but the rest of the road was still there all yellow and full of brick! Good luck, Leslie

Leslie Van Leishout
    Theater Education Coordinator
    Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

• 7.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-19-2014 13:04
    If your school has projectors available another way to achieve this effect is through video and either bring it out into the audience or keep it on stage.

I've done both as a TD/LD for school productions, the easier projection method is against a backdrop, wall, cyc, etc.  I works against black curtains too, if the projector is of good quality. 

You can build an animation for the Yellow Brick Road appearing or building against the cyc through Maya or even PowerPoint animations and have it run as a called cue through a PC/MAC or other video relay.

If this is something you'd like more info on, let me know.

However, the yellow brick road through the audience is also sounding pretty neat and a fun activity for a class.

Erik Morris
    Artistic & Technical Director

• 8.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-20-2014 07:57
    I used decorated yellow yoga mats a few years ago. The can be theatrically rolled out as part of you "follow the yellow brick road" choreography and won't slip on the stage. They are fairly impervious to dancing and walking. ------------------------------------------- Karen Butler Drama Teacher -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-15-2014 08:09
    Not a new idea but effective..use dancers who carry yellow brick road flags and dance leading the travellers down the aisles and through various stage entrances for several location changes.. ------------------------------------------- Gai Jones -------------------------------------------

• 10.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-15-2014 10:12
    We bought yellow tarp ( I googled it and found a company that would do any size. We had one piece that covered the entire stage and long ones that went out the aisles and into the lobby) We painted the swirly thing from the movie on the big one and "bricks" on the long pieces. Yes, the audience loved walking in on the yellow brick road.

Stacey Bailey

• 11.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-15-2014 16:47
    Cool ideas.-- the isle thing is genius, for example.

I was thinking, it might be possible to paint the floor in a cobble stone pattern and use a bit of yellow glaze where the road is. Pop that with some light and it might come forward a bit.  Of course, it would be present all the time, but might be a fun experiment.

A ground cloth or tarp is also a good idea.  Paint some heavy canvas, cut out the shape, then roll it out when needed.  We often use tempered hard board in that way as well.  Book it together with some gaphers tape and just lay it out there.

Fun show to work on though.

Best 

Michael Johnson

• 12.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-15-2014 23:11
    We lit the pathway, once with yellow bulbs across the bridge across our orchestra pit and once with an LED path. When the lights are out, it is no longer the yellow brick road. Hope this helps! ------------------------------------------- Jacquie Thompson-Mercer -------------------------------------------

• 13.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-16-2014 10:22
    We did something bold and built a yellow brick bridge across the first two rows of our audience.  It allowed the audience to get closer to Dorothy and then eventually the whole gang.  We also lit it two different ways with gelled halogen lights.  One side was yellow when it was the yellow brick road and the other was green for when we are in the emerald city and they are talking to the Wizard.  This scene was particularly awesome because we had our main characters with their backs to the audience while they were talking to the Wizard, which we created with a 3-D hologram with smoke and mirrors, which allowed the audience to be with our main characters and face their fears too.

You can check out pics of our set up at our website at www.andersontheatre.com  Click the "Past Shows" tab, and go to WOO.

Again, bold choice, but our audiences loved it.

Chad Weddle

• 14.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-16-2014 11:38
    I went to a show once where they built a staircase and put it in front of the stage leading into the audience. They painted it to be a yellow brick road. This put the characters in the audience which the kids loved! During the scenes that the yellow brick road is not used, you have the option to either not light the stairs, or to cover them up! 

Hope this helps! Break a Leg with your show! 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair

• 15.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-16-2014 13:11
    These are all fantastic ideas!  Thank you all so much! 

This community is wonderful!

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley

• 16.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-21-2014 09:21
    We used glossy yellow 3M paper that comes on big rolls about 4 ft. wide and used large sharpie markers to draw in the bricks.  When taped to the stage floor, the paper is strong enough to hold up under foot traffic and doesn't move around.  It's actually adhesive paper, but we didn't take off the paper backing.  We also used astroturf for grass beside the yellow brick road on most of the stage.  FYI - I also use the 3M paper all the time to make giant banners for productions to hang around school.  I just peel off a little corner of the paper backing on each corner and stick it to the wall.

Angie Bin

• 17.  RE:Wizard of Oz - Yellow Brick Road Suggestions

Posted 02-23-2014 20:48
    We just did "Wizard of Oz" and we used a roll of yellow-gold fabric.  To keep it from moving around, we sewed this yellow stuff on the back in strips.  I'm not sure what it's called, but it's rubbery and what people put inside their kitchen drawers.  It's found in the kitchen section at Wal-Mart and is pretty cheap.  We rolled up our yellow brick road on a large banner roll and put string through it.  Two stage hands unrolled it while Dorothy was looking for it.  To hold it down, the Good Witch stood on one end waving her wand like she was the one making it appear.  It was pretty cool.

Chelsea Petty