Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  music for The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940

Posted 01-26-2016 12:39

Hi All- We are putting on The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 for our spring play. I believe there are several people here who have directed this show in the past. There are two short musical numbers that are part of the fictional show within the show. Can anyone give me any recommendations for music to use? Did you compose your own original music or use something already written (by whom)? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Emily Olson
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director
    Port St. Lucie, FL

• 2.  RE: music for The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940

Posted 01-27-2016 09:16

Hello!

I directed this show about 4 years ago, and Dramatists Play Service has a CD with the SFX including the piano tracks that you can use. We used them as a starting point and our choir teacher made it fit the lyrics and our student who played Roger played the piano and sang live during the show. It worked really well. We also used an underscore created by Rory Dale. You can find his website at www.rorydale.com and his underscore is really effective for the show!

Steve Skelcey
    Colorado Springs CO

• 3.  RE: music for The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940

Posted 01-27-2016 09:47

I directed the show this fall.  The songs for the show were written by Geoff Trowbridge, you can listen to them on his soundcloud.  You have to licence the songs directly from him as he is not affiliated with DPS and he will send you the sheet music.  I recorded our choir teacher playing the tracks as our Roger could not play the piano.

Original music for "The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940" by Geoff Trowbridge

SoundCloud remove preview
    Original music for "The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940" by Geoff Trowbridge
    Original accompaniment music (including vocal tracks) for the required songs in John Bishop's play, "The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940". Composed by Geoff Trowbridge. Contact at trowbridge@maplenet.net for sheet music pricing.
    View this on SoundCloud >
    Jasmine Pai
    Technical Director
    Trinity School
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: music for The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940

Posted 01-28-2016 10:12

Thank you both! I will look at these options. I appreciate it!

Emily Olson
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director
    Port St. Lucie, FL