Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Modified Theatre

Posted 01-25-2016 21:58

I am teaching a Modified Theatre class this semester. I have 14 students with a range of disabilities and 11 friends in the class. 

This is a new class for me, the students are very excited to come to class and are actually more participatory than their paras had thought, so we are quickly going through the material I had planned. 

Any lessons or units would be greatly appreciated. 

------------------------------
    Alex Moore
    Theatre Arts Director
    St. Louis MO

• 2.  RE: Modified Theatre

Posted 01-26-2016 06:36

I also have a group with a large number of special needs students. One of the best plans I did this year was a Silent Movie performance--that I am pretty sure I stole from someone on this forum! I showed the class a Buster Keaton film so everyone understood the style and format, gave them titles to work with like "The Landlord" or "The Restaurant" or "The Beauty Salon." The groups had to them make a 'scene schedule' that took them through their story. They rehearsed and presented in class. It was a great deal of fun and tons of success for everyone in the class.

Leslie Weinstein
    Monongahela PA

• 3.  RE: Modified Theatre

Posted 01-26-2016 07:10

May I ask how you obtained this class?  I think this is a class my school desperately needs, and I would love to teach it!

Thanks,

Rain

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 4.  RE: Modified Theatre

Posted 01-26-2016 08:34

This class fell into my lap. Usually these students go to gym for that period, but we had a teacher shortage and they needed the additional room in Gym. In order to help keep my course load all Theatre I suggested that I teach the modified theatre class and they agreed. 

The students and the paras love it! They are already talking about the class going next year. 

Alex Moore
    Theatre Arts Director
    St. Louis MO