Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  A. Wilson plans

Posted 01-22-2016 07:34

I want to teach a unit on August Wilson and his plays. I am using the article published from Dramatics magazine a few years back as a starting point. However, does anyone have any plans that they could share on any of his plays? I would like to explore Radio Golf, The Piano Lesson, and one of his earlier plays so that students can get a sense of his cycle and see common theatrical devices that he uses to tell his stories. Study guide questions, would be especially helpful.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 2.  RE: A. Wilson plans

Posted 01-22-2016 16:25

What a neat exploration!  Although I don't have any study guides readily available I would consult the websites of and the educational 'wing' of any major theatre that produces A. Wilson, especially to 'justify' (with connective/integrated curricular goals/objectives) daytime student matinees.  The KC Rep has done a few of the plays you mentioned and might have a study guide or two available from older productions if you contact Melinda McCrary, their educational liaison,  mccrarym@umkc.edu (KC Rep is affiliated with UMKC).  Hope you find what you need!

Mr. Shannon D. Peery
    Kansas City, Kansas

• 3.  RE: A. Wilson plans

Posted 01-24-2016 08:00

Hi, There is also a national August Wilson monologue competition. True Colors Theatre - August Wilson Monologue Competition

Ann Gallo
    Tyringham MA

• 4.  RE: A. Wilson plans

Posted 01-24-2016 09:32

Seattle Rep Theatre loves August Wilson. Here's a few website that might be useful, if you haven't already visitied them. Great idea, for a course of study! 

August Wilson Monologue Competition

https://www.seattlerep.org/Plays/1415/PL/DeeperLook/PL_StudentGuide_WEB.pdf

http://augustwilson.net/doc/The_Life_and_Work_of__August_Wilson_Slide_Show.pdf

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 5.  RE: A. Wilson plans

Posted 01-25-2016 08:34

Thanks to all who responded for lesson ideas about August Wilson. I am going to use the power point suggested on one of the websites: http://augustwilson.net/doc/The_Life_and_Work_of__August_Wilson_Slide_Show.pdf

Just reading through some of the blogs and the sites about monologue competitions with his work, has helped me to tailor my lesson plans.

In digging around the internet, I also found a The August Wilson Education Project Home | August Wilson

I am looking forward to sharing and celebrating Wilson's work in February :)

Wqed remove preview
    Home | August Wilson
    In February 2015, the PBS series American Masters and Pittsburgh's WQED will present the documentary, August Wilson: The Ground on Which I Stand, the definitive story of the most prolific playwright of the last half of the 20th century.
    View this on Wqed >
    Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD