Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Directing Class- Project Ideas

Posted 01-21-2016 14:28

I'm starting a directing class as part of our second semester and the enrollment is currently at 5 students.  Does anyone have any projects/lessons/ideas they wouldn't mind sharing?  I'm struggling to re-invent the wheel, and hope there are enough ideas out there to get me started.

------------------------------
    Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Acton MA

• 2.  RE: Directing Class- Project Ideas

Posted 01-21-2016 15:42

My directors are embedded in an acting class.  Will it just be the 5 students or will there be actors for them to direct?  I have some books that I use in class - I'll dig them out and post the titles later.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Directing Class- Project Ideas

Posted 01-22-2016 09:34

I'm in the same boat. I have five students in a generalized theatre ensemble class. We produced a published play first semester. Second semester finds me wanting to give them more experience in directing. So, we're working on creating an original piece based on the NeoFuturist's TMLMTBGB structure, but with our original works. I'm writing a few pieces, they're writing pieces. And the deal is, if they write a piece, they direct it and can't be in it. It gives them bite-sized pieces to direct and keeps everyone involved. It's not ideal, though. To properly teach directing, I'm of the mind that they should be directing professional (or at least experienced) actors using published plays. BUT- this process I have has been going well so far... It also allows them to dabble in writing, marketing, tech, etc. All good things for a director to experience. What are you trying?

Danielle Filas
    Village Academy Schools
    Powell OH
    @msfilas on Twitter

• 4.  RE: Directing Class- Project Ideas

Posted 01-22-2016 10:02

I use "Backwards and Forwards"  by Ball. 

Blair Biederman
    Gilbert AZ

• 5.  RE: Directing Class- Project Ideas

Posted 01-22-2016 15:44

Something I do is provide monologues to the kids and have them direct me as the actor. It allows me to provide examples of different types of actors that directors have to work with. *insert evil laugh*  Really though, I can ask specific questions to encourage their artistic growth that is frequently lacking when they work with their peers. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Directing Class- Project Ideas

Posted 01-23-2016 12:25

Hi, I have some seriously detailed plans for directing. But, all in all- like some others here I have them read some books on directing. I have them read Sense of Direction by William Ball and Backwards and Forwards by Alan Ball. I like to call it directing by the Balls, but only to myself. Anyhow, Sense of Direction is very comprehensive and gives them a great foundation for what their process should be like. Backwards and Forwards is great for helping them analyze and dissect a play. I do a series of scene directing exercises where they have to prepare a scene with a different goal:

Open Scene- they have to create the subtext for the lines, the blocking, and the only objectives they can use for the character are Advance and Retreat. They direct the scene.

Scene Score- I use a play they have to read in English (I have used Glass Menagerie, Death of a Salesman, R&J, etc.) so we can skip the analysis part and get straight to a scene. They have to select a scene and Break the scene into Units, then Break the Units into Beats, then For each Beat write down the Subtext of the lines, the objective of the Beat, and the Blocking. All of this info is in Hodges' Play Directing: Analysis, Communication, and Style 7th Edition. It's a pricey book but worth it. Buy one and use it forever! They direct the scene.

Finding the Events- they have to find the "events" in the script we're working with. This can be a show they are going to direct, a show you want to read as a class and direct scenes from, or it can be one of the shows they've read in English. Sometimes I do Trigger and Heaping from Backwards and Forwards for a show we are interested in doing next year and they use the information from Trigger and Heaping to cut the show into 45 minutes or shorter. Then we use that cut show for all of these exercises. No direction here, just discussion.

Score and Stage an Event- Using their Scene Score Skills and their Finding the Events skills they stage an event from the show. They direct the scene.

Directing and Coaching Narration- They find or you give them a scene that contains narration. They develop a coaching plan. This usually focuses on finding the right words to emphasize or elaborate on. Essentially to get them to do anything other than just narrating. The objective is to help them figure out how to make it active. They use all the same processes from the scene score but add in a warm-up component just focused on word delivery. They go through the scene and identify all of the words they would want their actor to hit or play with a bit and develop a plan for them to say those words in a variety of ways in order to identify how they feel best to be said. Then they add in the scene where the actor says those words within context, then they add blocking and movement, etc.

Final Scene/ Play Direction- using everything we've done in the exercises they direct a final scene or a final show. 

With only 5 students they would have to use one another and you'd have to focus on scenes with 4 or less people in it. 

I have 2 levels of directing; my second year class reads Ann Bogart's A Director Prepares: Seven Essays on Art and Theatre which is very advanced and not for students who are not big thinkers. If this seems like too much you can always have them read anything Jory.

Other activities: teach them about Dramaturgy and have them do a study of a play and develop a packet. I also like to have them do something called a Critical Declaration- a paper where they explain how they define "good" vs. "bad" theatre. They often can tell you what's good or bad in their mind but not why. This makes them examine what they're using as a measure, helps them identify and reflect upon what standards they have. If they're a strong class have them read some of Aristotle's Poetics. It's the foundation of artistic judgment, so it's a great starting point. You can similarly have them write a paper and have an awesome discussion regarding what kind of actor they are. How do they approach work, what is their preferred process? What kind of roles/ plays speak to them and why? Do they have a preferred acting method? Where would they like to take their acting? In their second level acting class they study different acting styles with me so they have a place to start from.

I highly recommend using the 5 Step Character Analysis that was in Dramatics Magazine last year and the Hodge Analysis.

Okay, I've blabbered a lot. Hope some of this helps.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 7.  RE: Directing Class- Project Ideas

Posted 01-24-2016 14:00

I also use Backwards and Forwards by David Ball.  I begin by reading Hamlet with the students so that they will understand the examples in Backwards and Forwards, otherwise some of the book goes over their heads.  We even do the dominoes game (we call it haminoes) and it always has a huge impact and a big aha moment! 

I have 14 in my class and I take the Tricks of the Trade section and jigsaw it. The students create banners (more like a pennant) with the title of each small chapter and a brief explanation.  They present these and we create a word wall that is always reminding them what to look for as they direct. It has been a big memetic devise for them. 

Five Truths

To introduce them to different theorists we study the 5 Truths which is from the National Theater and uses the same monologue of Ophelia as directed using Stanislavsky, Brecht, Artaud, and Brook, Grotowski. Five Truths  Five Truths

National Theatre remove preview
    Five Truths
    What are the differences between five of the most influential European theatre practitioners of the 20th century? How would these five directors work with the actress playing Ophelia in the famous mad scene in Shakespeare's Hamlet? What would they ask the actress to do and how would they ask the actress to behave?
    View this on National Theatre >

-Students direct each other in monologues and scenes using Stanislavsky (we use The Cherry Orchard because of the detailed given circumstances).

- directing one act plays - I have a unit on finding a play for a target audience- this requires having one act plays or ten minute plays available.  I use Dramatics Magazine and the complications from the Humana play festival from the Actor's Studio of Louisville.  Each student choses a play, is given $25 for a budget (I produce the play and provide the royalties).  They create a director's notebook which contains; play analysis, character breakdown, technical needs- including a floor plan, set design, costume design, sound plot, lighting design, make-up/hair designs, and props.  The director's book needs to contain inspiration boards as well.  The students cast from the Drama 3 and 4 classes and create rehearsal schedules.  The rehearse at lunch,tutorial or after school (some rehearse at their homes and set up in the backyard--we are in Southern California).  All of the one acts are on a trust stage. 

The director's are assessed by the actor's and the actor's are assessed by the director's via series of components which include preparedness, ability to work with others, communication, etc...

The director's also meet with the tech director and producer in production meetings.  We have a Stage Technology/Stagecraft class that builds the sets, hangs the lights etc... However, the learning experience for the director is having to be prepared to communicate what they want and following through with the tech director.

The director's are responsible for creating the prompt book with the cues for stage management and transferring over to the stage manager for tech rehearsal.  The plays are performed in rotation for 4 nights so each one is given 2 performances in front of an audience.  

The director's reflect and critic their own work and the work of their peers.  It is a very complete experience for them and they come out with new eyes and a respect for directing.  (We do this project at the first semester)

Second semester we continue with scenes from contemporary plays and study styles--Brecht, Grotowski, Artaud/Brook, and explore devised theater.  

Kathy Cannnarozzi Harris
    Theater Director - Mission Viejo HS
    VAPA Coordinator K-12
    Saddleback Valley USD
    Mission Viejo, CA

• 8.  RE: Directing Class- Project Ideas

Posted 01-14-2018 23:51
    Hello,
    You have some amazing ideas for teaching student directors! Would you be willing to share with me directly? I cannot find your email, so here is mine: sbrown@gusd.k12.ca.us.  Thank you!
    -Sonja Brown

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 1777
    Phoenix High School