Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  light color for rails

Posted 01-20-2016 13:09

The auditorium I run needs new lights in the rigging area and a suggestion was to use LED blue lights (to avoid having to gel them during a show). However, I heard that red lights are better than blue. My question is: what color do you gel the lights (at the rails and general backstage lights) during performances? 

------------------------------
    Colleen Lentz
    Speech and Drama Teacher/Director
    WI

• 2.  RE:light color for rails

Posted 01-21-2016 07:49
    Hi Colleen,

At my school, and many other places I've worked, we use blue lights. Scientifically, I believe it's because blue light helps keep people awake better than red light.

Hope this helps!
    Amy

---------------------------------
    Amy Ariel
    Troupe 4250 - Honor Thespian & Presidential Scholar
    Mills E. Godwin High School
    Henrico, VA
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: light color for rails

Posted 01-22-2016 07:51

Studies have shown that the light color doesn't make any difference under low-light conditions if it is set-up correctly.  The reason dark blue is commonly used around backstage areas is because it is less visible to the audience if it bleeds-out under the curtains (dark blue doesn't contrast the black masking curtains).

The key to selecting the correct type of light fixture is dependent upon where the lights are located relative to the working area of the stage.  If the light is going to be used on the fly rails (Locking Gallery & Loading Gallery), then the SSRC LED version of their Index Light product is a great solution.  I comes with a row of White LEDs and a row of Blue LEDs, each on separate circuits, each separately dimmable, and are available in just about any length, so you can get a nice uniform light from downstage to upstage.  The light output is asymmetrical so it casts worklight on the fly wall and shields it from the offstage & onstage areas.

For other areas of the stage look as lights that have very good off-axis cut-off so the light does not spill towards the stage.  Mount them up high (18-20') so they don't get whacked by moving scenery or covered by tall flats that get laid against the wall (if they are wall mounted fixtures).

Although commonly installed in theatres, the 'jelly jar' (sometimes referred to as dock lights or explosion-proof lights) type fixtures are pretty useless - they cast the light everywhere and provide very little light directly onto the floor where it is needed.

Try NOT to use the cheapo clip-lights - they get hot, don't stay put, and are generally more trouble than they are worth.

Rope light strings are usually not a good solution either as they are omni-directional and spill light everywhere.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 4.  RE: light color for rails

Posted 01-26-2016 19:07

Thank you both for your input. It is helpful!

Colleen Lentz
    Speech and Drama Teacher/Director
    Cudahy WI