Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help with proposal for bond

Posted 01-20-2016 11:48
    I was just informed that my school district is prepping for a bond measure. I have 8 weeks to submit a proposal for much needed updates to our theatre space. The proposal must show that we will either recoup expenses or make a profit in the long run.
    I would like to present data from other schools who have invested in improvements and have seen positive results (monetary and community-related). Does anyone have experience with writing such a proposal?

Sonja Brown
    Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Director Troupe 1777

• 2.  RE: Help with proposal for bond

Posted 01-21-2016 06:40

Sonja,

Have you looked at the Advocacy info on the schooltheatre.org site?  There is an abundance of information there.  Not all of it is focused on the return on investment that you are looking for but they do examine the benefits of supporting the arts.  Can you make the case that this bond will be an investment in the arts that might draw in more students to your program, and thus improve the caliber of your program?

Maybe also talk with your music people.  They may have some good information from their professional organizations as well!

Ray

------------------------------
    Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 3.  RE: Help with proposal for bond

Posted 01-21-2016 23:36

Hi Sonja,

A few years ago we received a 1.5 million dollar matching grant to renovate our theatre. I had the initial proposal to the state, rationale for the renovation, and documents from the 3 years from initial request through groundbreaking. 

We raised $800,000 in donations and our district made up the difference. We also raised the money for new seats and upgrades. I'm not sure I have all of the hard data you require, but you are welcome to lift any of the language used. Email me at the8turwoman@aol.com if you'd like me to send documents.

Krista Carson Elhai
    Theatre Director
    Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA

• 4.  RE: Help with proposal for bond

Posted 01-29-2016 11:12

Krista,

Thank you for your offer to help! I sent you an email, but not sure if you received it. Please send documents to sonja.brown@phoenix.k12.or.us.

Again, thanks ENORMOUSLY!

Sonja Brown

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 1777
    Phoenix High School