Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mystery Dinner

Posted 02-13-2014 09:35
    I'm in search of a one-act mystery for a dinner theatre fundraiser. Any suggestions on a play or suggestions on running the fundraiser itself?
    Thank you!

-------------------------------------------
    Dianna Long

• 2.  RE:Mystery Dinner

Posted 02-13-2014 13:22
    Just Desserts - not sure of the author off hand. Great opportunity to do cake raffles, etc.

Tonya Bowyer
    Drama Teacher
    Radford City Public Schools

• 3.  RE:Mystery Dinner

Posted 02-14-2014 07:41
    Agatha Christie has written some one acts - The Patient is one in a series of three, but I can't remember the names of the others.

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director

• 4.  RE:Mystery Dinner

Posted 02-14-2014 08:58
    If you are looking for something fun and a little cheesy that will get your audience involved, try http://mysteriesbymoushey.com/ We have done murder-mystery-comedies-with-clue-hunt-and-dessert for over 10 years now as a Thespian fundraiser.  No reason why you couldn't do a murder-mystery-comedy-with-clue-hunt-and-dinner as a fundraiser.  We will be doing "The Last Dance of Dr. Disco" in May followed by a disco dance in our black box with all the lighting one can imagine.  You can read most of the script online. 

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 5.  RE:Mystery Dinner

Posted 02-15-2014 04:51
    We had great success with DEATH BY CHOCOLATE. And of course we served chocolate desserts. ------------------------------------------- Lana Hagan Department of Theatre/Dance Southern Illinois Univ. Edwardsville -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE:Mystery Dinner

Posted 02-17-2014 14:16
    I have done a mystery dinner theater for every year for the past 20 years and have had great success with Mayhem, Inc scripts from mc2entertainment.  They are funny, can be expanded --I have included up to 30 students, interactive with the audience and easy to produce.  Charlie Corritore is the author or as he calls himself the ulterior motivator and he also writes plays and children's musicals.  He is very accessible and easy to work with if you have questions. 

Some of his titles that I have done include:Maritime Mayhem (takes places on a cruise ship), Matrimonial Mayhem (at a wedding), Movie Mayhem (at a movie shoot with the audience being the extras), Musical Mayhem ( at a karaoke club), Memorial Mayhem ( at a funeral home), Manuscript Mayhem (mystery writers awards ceremony), Microphone Mayhem (at a comedy club)---there are many others...these are my favorites.  

The website is http://www.mc2entertainment.com

I do a unit of improvisation prior to the dinner theater to prepare the students for audience interaction and I can then assess them during the performances.

You are welcome to contact me if you want more information.  

Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts
    Mission Viejo High School
    Mission Viejo CA
    kathy.harris@svusd.org