Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lend Me a Tenor and make up

Posted 01-16-2016 19:53

So, getting ready to stage Lend Me a Tenor. Show was chosen by the previous director and I was not allowed to change it by admin. TODAY (we open this week) my principal sends me a text regarding the use of brown make up on Max and Tito (the Otello roles)  I told him about this earlier and I have tried to use the makeup judiciously. But now my kids are freaking out thinking I am going to get fired and we are going to offend everyone.  I've thought about using just darker foundation and a goatee as well as placing a note in the program explaining a bit about Otello...

A lot of the plot is based on mistaken identity so the actors need to look similar, not to mention Maggie getting the makeup all over her...oi

Thoughts? Suggestions? Help?!?!?  Thanks so much!!

------------------------------
    Stephanie Matushoneck
    Theatre Director
    Westerville Central High School
    Westerville OH

• 2.  RE: Lend Me a Tenor and make up

Posted 01-17-2016 03:59
    Keep it as a "Mediterranean Tan" -- just don't allow it to look like blackface. We did this at my public high school not too long ago and it wasn't ever an issue. As long as it's not outwardly offensive, it shouldn't be a big deal at all. 

• 3.  RE: Lend Me a Tenor and make up

Posted 01-17-2016 09:35

For what it's worth:

Put a small note in your program (or in your curtain speech) about how the makeup is being used to provide humor for the character wearing it - NOT TO DEMEAN AFRICAN AMERICANS or anyone of color.

ALSO

Use it as a tan rather than as a darker shade in order to avoid anyone thinking it's the offensive "blackface."

OR

Use a purple or other hue to make the effect so over-the-top that it comes across as absurd rather than offensive. 

Great show.  Break a leg with it!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 4.  RE: Lend Me a Tenor and make up

Posted 01-17-2016 11:06

We did Tenor last November and had a blast.  Great show.  

The makeup was a concern for us as well, so we took a good look at the context of the show.  We decided that Max had no clue how to do his makeup correctly (it's his first performance, after all), and Tito was in too big a hurry to do his well, in addition to being a bit drug-addled.  As a result, both of them had their faces smeared with blotches of makeup rather than completely covered - they looked like they fell in a mud puddle.  In addition, our costumes were so over the top that they created the disguise more than anything, and the makeup became secondary.  As far as the Maggie smearing, we just made sure that one of Max's cheeks was where a big splotch of makeup had hit, and the transfer was easily done. Of course, it didn't hurt that my Max and Tito are basically the same size and body type - sitting in the back of the auditorium during rehearsals, I had a hard time telling them apart even without the makeup!

Jan Romans
    Theatre Director
    South Lyon MI

• 5.  RE: Lend Me a Tenor and make up

Posted 01-18-2016 12:02

I saw the play done, and there was nothing about the makeup.  When they were back at the hotel, the costume/makeup had been removed.  It was up to the audience to understand the mistaken identity, and we had no trouble buying the premise.  Looking back at it, I think it would have been weird if they had returned with full makeup on.

Helen Anderson
    El Paso TX