Open Forum

View Only

Casting/auditions

• 1.  Casting/auditions

Posted 01-06-2016 21:32
    Today I had auditions for our spring musical (School House Rock Live!) and although students have known for weeks, only five students signed up. Of those, only four actually showed up, and of those, only two could feasibly be cast. Has anyone run into this issue? What have you done? Is it just me or are students too busy now to do shows? I am new to this program, basically rebuilding from the ground up. It's tough not to take this personally...

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-07-2016 06:27

Casting is a constant struggle for us.  I'm worried about the lack of interest in auditions for Millie next week despite the successes echoed here on this very website.

For us, changing to a smaller show to cater to only those who have come to tryouts is a scary prospect too since smaller casts mean smaller houses. I work in a Title I district and while we are lucky to have a theatre program, the audiences are made up of only friends and family of the cast with few exceptions.  We struggle to break even every year.

So while I offer no solutions at this time, perhaps you can take solace in knowing that there are others in your same predicament.  

I share your pain. 

------------------------------
    Stephen Benjamin
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Garfield Heights OH

• 3.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-07-2016 08:01

I say change the show. If you have a feeder school, use students from those schools. From experience, SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK is not a show that students are overjoyed to audition for. The show is more suitable for a classroom production. In rebuilding a program, you have to look attractive to the kids. How big is the program? Feel free to email me personally arichmond@wclark.k12.in.us

Alonzo Richmond
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Silver Creek High School
    Sellersburg, IN

• 4.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-08-2016 05:41
    I work in a small school (less than 200 kids, seventh through twelfth grade), so I rarely have more than 20 or 25 kids audition. BUT we are a popular program. Do large cast plays rather than musicals and you may find more willing participants. A lot of kids just don't want to sing or dance. On the plus side, royalties are so much cheaper, usually just about 100 per performance, so it is easy to break even!
    Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth Academy

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-07-2016 07:29
    I  am a middle school teacher. Because of transportation, etc. all of my shows are done exclusively in class. You want to be in the show? You have to be in drama. We rehearse in class, learn content through play production. Performance is mandatory and part of grade. 

There are pros and cons. Pros:
    Builds program
    No schedule conflicts
    Gets all students involved even if they are too chicken (I make all students audition- assignment grade)

Cons: 
    More work (ie because I have 7th and 8th grade doing lion king jr, we have Four casts!)
    Harder with solo work/small group rehearsal (have to give rest of students assignment to work on). 
    All students have to be involved - that means even the kids who otherwise wouldn't/ shouldn't be. 

Jennifer Simmons

• 6.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-07-2016 08:00

I've been the theater teacher at my school for 5 years now.  And believe me, it was a struggle those first few years to get anything done. In fact, the first play I produced here was awful and I had to take one of the roles myself because I could  not get enough kids to do it. It took 4 years before I had a show worth anything. And then, once that happened and the student body saw it, I've been flooded with kids wanting to audition. It takes time. I learned after that first show to pick plays with very small casts. The play that was finally successful had 6 people in it and one didn't have any lines. But this year I had so many kids audition for the fall show that I couldn't even double cast every role to give everyone a part. Give it time, work with who you have now and build from there. It'll happen. 

Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV

• 7.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-07-2016 08:02
    So sorry to hear it.  However here are two points that may help you, if not now, then maybe later on:
    1) As you are new to the program (as we all are at some point), there may be some reluctance for that reason. Stay positive. Stay patient.  Continue to demonstrate both the relevancy and joy that the arts provide. 
    2) Sadly, we are in a culture that puts a greater value on what is known rather than what is new.  I suspect that because many of the kids are unfamiliar with "School House Rock" (shocking, ain't it!), they don't know what to expect.  I've had similar situations; when I auditioned "Grease" we had over 200 audition.  When we did "...Millie" barely 1/3 of that number showed up.

Keep fighting the good fight.  It will get better.
    Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 8.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-07-2016 08:14

Michael-

It is tough not to take personally and it takes time. As you build the program more and more will audition. As for suggestions, you may need to actively recruit and challenge some students in these first couple of years. It's not ideal but the need will eventually subside. If your school has a choral program you could ask to speak to those classes and sell your enthusiasm about the show.

Also, if you are holding auditions today (Jan. 7th) you may have more auditioning. I have a 2 day casting (yesterday and today). Yesterday I had 10 students go out but today there will be about 25.

Keep the faith.

zac

Zac Campbell
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Hendersonville TN

• 9.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-07-2016 08:22

A couple of things come to mind for me. One, you can begin to include your local junior high schools or adjacent local schools when casting a bigger show than what you can supply kids for (cast a wider net). Two, you can go back and change shows. Not ideal if you've committed money or advertising already but doable if you can pick another weekend.

Our troupe had a wonderful leader, over 60 hs kids, and great reputation for over 15 years. She retired and the next 2 people killed it in 3 years. DEAD. Last year (my first here) I had 12-14 cast and crew to work with (10-11 seniors). I had 6 in the cast. Took me almost 6 weeks to reselect a play that would work for them. FYI - 1 sp ed kid, 1 blind girl, 2 tiny boy twins, and 2 aspiring and really talented girls in the local vocational school going on the professional theater track.

This year our first meeting drew over 30 kids (mostly freshmen). I picked a medium size play, 8-9 tried out, 2 quit during rehearsals and we still did well. Small show!!! I will never select a show before I know my potential kids first again.

For me, cancelling is not an option as the performance is half my stipend. I already put in personal money and can't afford to go that far. Also, the commitment it shows to the kids is important. I have cancelled at another school, Steel Magnolias, because of irresponsible student behavior I could not ignore. Everyone paid the price for that and the kids make sure the responsible parties know that. Pressure from each other is more effective that from us. So is making sure the kids enjoy themselves. They will spread the word and more will come on board.

Good luck!

• 10.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-07-2016 19:28

It's the trend for me. I went from 6 yrs of top national contenders locally and at the Jimmy Awards on B'way in shows like Mame, Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd, Phantom and La Mancha to half the number of men and nearly no top talent women. I can't understand it. Soorts are raging on. I think kids don't want to commit to anythimg that requires more than a couple hours of practice. Extremely sad. We need some kind of concerted effort to combat this trend.

Deborah Frauenholz
    Pittsburgh PA

• 11.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-07-2016 19:38
    I'm also building a program (1,200 students in the school and a class of 15 students).  I am sorry to hear that I am not the only one experiencing a dearth of students who don't have time for theatre.  And the kids in my class get easily frustrated and nasty when they are actually expected to work rather than just play theatre games.  We have a lot of kids that are involved in sports, and we have a thriving music program in our school, but I'm not quite sure what to do to build more interest.  We had a kick-butt and take-names fall musical of "Shrek," but even with that I'm having a really difficult time getting kids interested in doing spring competition or our spring play, "Diary of Anne Frank."

I'm very interested to hear how others deal with such a lack of students, as well as a lack of desire to actually work if they do have some interest.

--
    JaNae Cottam
    Theatre Teacher
    Park City High School &
    Treasure Mtn. Junior High
    ​Park City, Utah

• 12.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-08-2016 13:36

This happened to me the first time I tried to do a musical at my school. The previous theatre directors refused to do any musicals, and the student body thought musicals were the stuff of middle schools. So, I chose a musical that's obscure but also requires acting chops: The Robber Bridegroom. I love the show and was heartbroken when only a handful of students showed up, most of whom couldn't sing and wouldn't have been cast anyway. I ended up canceling with the licensing company, and shifted to a student-written work. I held a new round of auditions for ensemble building and script writing. THAT show was a success. A decade later, after incorporating the History of Musical Theatre into my curriculum, when I announced auditions for ...Spelling Bee, students showed up in droves. Give it time. 

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 13.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-08-2016 17:19

Thank you all so much for your insight and encouragement!  I needed it!  I had a second round of auditions, and still do not have enough students to do that show.  I went and had a heart to heart with the chorus students, many of whom had done my musical last year, and I asked them why they didn't bother to come and audition this year.  I got a lot of different answers, but basically that with spring sports starting, kids don't want to make the time commitment.  The other one (which bothered me the most) was that one student said "Well, I heard that it was a boring show, so I didn't audition."  Really?  (I loathe gossip.) Anyhow, I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I am sleeping on it over the weekend, and considering other options, like having my Theater 2,3,4 and tech kids in class next semester do the mainstage show, or putting together a musical revue based on the kids that did bother to show up, or doing a different (non-musical) show with all women and 2 men... anyone know of any?  It's a shame that when I worked on School House Rock before, it was so well received.  I guess ten years does make a huge difference in this day and age.  Thanks for all your help, though, and thank the powers that be for this FORUM!  I'd be bald (er) without it!

J. Michael Beech
    Gastonia NC

• 14.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-09-2016 12:35

I think you've gotten a lot of good advice so far and I like your current thinking of doing some after school work and some in class work.  I think that's a great idea-- produce some scenes and features after school and do a nice one act play in your classes.  The Long View, for example, has some nice solo moments in it for a guitarist/singer.

Even doing a short play or an approved cutting of a longer play with your after school troupe is a great idea.

I know many schools that don't do a musical every year, for example, instead producing one every other year or on another schedule.

I do think though that you are on the right tract and wish you all the best.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 15.  RE: Casting/auditions

Posted 01-09-2016 07:41

I think, as others have picked up on, your key words in your question were "I'm new" and "basically rebuilding". When you have both of those what is most important is patience, which as someone who struggles with wanting everything to be perfect NOW is certainly a very difficult proposition. 

Great advice already, but the biggest thing for you is to not take it personally. Since you are new and are rebuilding, the kids don't know how cool you are yet, they haven't seen what kinds of shows you do (and what your standards are), and I feel that kids take a longer time to 'buy' what we're offering (versus sports). But if you hang in, build with patience, do some 'cool' things (you'll need to discover what that it is for your particular school, but as a guide line fake blood and intense stage fighting has been a massive crowd pleaser with my population), they will come. 

Good luck. It sounds like you've got some solid alternatives which will help to continue building your program!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL