Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Singing on the stage

Posted 01-02-2016 19:54
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a new high school Drama teacher and I was wondering if anyone has any tips, advice or recommended resources re: singing in musicals? I'm more of a classically trained musician, so I've been taught to be concerned about things like vowel placement. How should I approach working with my students as we prepare for our Spring musical? Thanks so much!
    --Rebecca McMillan
    Saint John Paul II Academy

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Singing on the stage

Posted 01-02-2016 21:57

Singing is all about the production and placement of sustained sound. Just as ballet is the perfect foundation for all other forms of dance, the principals of classical singing are appropriate to all forms. Once your students understand their voices, they will be able to add color, contour, and variety as needed to convey character and emotion. I, too, am classically trained, but I can also sing a wide range of styles because I know how to utilize my voice for the desired effect. The fundamentals of classical voice training are not only applicable, but essential to Musical Theatre, as they will learn how to breathe effectively, manage their voice, improve their pitch and develop musicality.

------------------------------
    Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 3.  RE: Singing on the stage

Posted 01-03-2016 18:01
    Having a background in classical training is perfect for musical theatre.  Bring everything you've got to the table.  I think the one thing that sometimes can get lost with our classical training is being sure that the story is communicated through the lyrics and song.  Although I always want to hear a great singer in a role, it is much more important to me that I am able to feel what the singer is singing about.  I tell my students that they want to provide the audience with an emotional bath - no matter what it is they are performing.  It's all about the connection to the story and what you're trying to communicate.  It's important to have a great voice, but the best performers in musical theatre are not always the best voices, but are those who can help us as an audience to feel and understand the story.  Good luck!

JaNae Cottam
    Park City, Utah