Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Kids who don't wanna...

Posted 12-30-2015 00:09

I teach three sections of Drama which are a mix of drama 1-4 classes in each. The school won't separate. Sigh. And there are a handful of kids who didn't want to take the class, don't want to participate and refuse to try. It's so frustrating. I had more Fs this nine weeks than I have ever had. So many kids refused to get up and perform. Refuse to use the class time I provide to prepare for projects. And if I took away their time, they wouldn't do any of it anyway. What do I do? I will be having a student teacher next semester and in January, I will be missing four days for things I have to go to. So what are good activities for getting reluctant and refusing kids involved, what can a sub or (English) student teach with some minimal theatrical experience do without me.... Good lessons that can be done without the teacher present... Good units that a student teacher can teach that will be engaging to those rpita kids who refuse to play nice.... Help me theatre people, you're my only hope. 

------------------------------
    Randi Lundgren
    Tallahassee FL

• 2.  RE: Kids who don't wanna...

Posted 12-30-2015 11:05

Trick 'em...  don't tell them they are performing...  so, if these kids are like any of my non-try-ers, think about doing lots of simpler/funner experiences.  get em hooked first with things they might perceive as FILM...  cuz  few kids think FILM is uncool, right.  

Have them bring in favorite music videos and then explain what is "good" or "bad" acting.  Have them createtheir own music videos with poems and background music they pick.  Have them show fav moments from films then they can act them out.  how bout poetry slam? (you got any budding rappers?)   Maybe have them work and present for smaller groups rather than the whole room - maybe that would open some of them up...

the one thing I know about grades - they seem to never work as a punitive thing.  Seems like kids never make the connection between NO"T trying and the letter grade (sorry - not the best time  maybe for you to hear that:()

sorry I rambled, but the big take away is to get them on your side.

breakaleg 

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 3.  RE: Kids who don't wanna...

Posted 12-31-2015 12:26

Dan is right--make it seem as if they aren't doing 'theatre' and are instead, doing something that resonates with them. If the students are in an elective course, but don't want to be there...the bigger problem is talking with your school deans and counselors about they students are allowed to take the course. Eventually, things will weed out, but until then, you need to make it through:

1. Film is a great way to do this, as Dan mentioned. Rather than ask them to bring in films, though, which they may not do based on what you've said, put together a bunch of clips and have them edit them to make their own, new film. Be sure that there is a variety to choose from, and remind them they do not need to use all of them; that way the films are each unique. This can work in small groups (pro and con to that: some groups will not work, but then, they don't interfere with the progress of others), pairs or even individually. Tell them to use sound tracks from Audacity or Garage Band, SFX with Adobe Pro or whatever the heck you've got access to at your school. This can be something anyone can do as a sub for you--it's a matter of managing them to use their time, is all.

2. Another option: design. Give them a piece of text and let them design it in all the various ways. Some have to costume, some set design, others market it, others light it...whatever floats their boat. They can work in groups (with each having a distinct role to fill) or individually. If the former, they can be a production company; if the latter, then that's fine, too. Have an exhibition display where the audience is their peers--an Open House during the class period, and invite other teachers to bring their classes to critique. Might raise the completion bar for some of them if their mates are going to get a look in.

3. Is there any money available for a guest teacher? Someone who could really get them physical through theatre games? I have found that even the most obstinate students end up participating when they forget they are 'doing' a class. In my current Introductory class of 9 - 12th graders, nine of whom are SPED, the physical theatre games played end up either enticing all to join in...or at least watch.

Remember, though, like a painful gallstone, this too shall pass.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 4.  RE: Kids who don't wanna...

Posted 12-31-2015 15:37

I am in the same boat with all levels of drama lumped together.  The favorite unit the last few years, is a makeup unit that includes old age, fantasy, and horror/gore.  Students bring in their own makeup; I buy dollar store for boys.  They do research first and create a portfolio of images for each look.  Students especially love to create cuts, burns and bruises. Some create giant knife slashes across their throat. Others do a zombie look.  They love to wear their makeup designs for the entire day and freak out the office staff with their cuts. All techniques can be done without specialized makeup or materials. Youtube has many tutorials. Your student teacher might have fun planning an entire unit.

Amy Sando
    Minden NV

• 5.  RE: Kids who don't wanna...

Posted 12-31-2015 15:40

I am in the same boat with all levels of drama lumped together.  The favorite unit the last few years, is a makeup unit that includes old age, fantasy, and horror/gore.  Students bring in their own makeup; I buy dollar store for boys.  They do research first and create a portfolio of images for each look.  Students especially love to create cuts, burns and bruises. Some create giant knife slashes across their throat. Others do a zombie look.  They love to wear their makeup designs for the entire day and freak out the office staff with their cuts. All techniques can be done without specialized makeup or materials. Youtube has many tutorials. Your student teacher might have fun planning an entire unit.

Amy Sando
    Minden NV

• 6.  RE: Kids who don't wanna...

Posted 12-31-2015 13:10

Ohhhhhhh this is a tough one! This happens to all of us on occasion, and it sucks! Will you have a new group of students next semester? I can share what I do to create an environment of success in my classes, but it will not be as successful mid-stream. Day one - I discuss the value and importance of drama classes. I relate the skills and benefits for future success in college and career. (I have a powerpoint and a worksheet that I present to the class - I will share if you are interested- just let me know :) Once I have established that drama is not a "playtime" class and that there are real life learning expectations, I have created a legitimate basis for hard work and high expectations. I also share that there are people of varying levels of experience and that grading will be applicable to experience and that a student with no years of training will not be graded at the same level of expectation as an experienced student. For some students getting on stage in front of peers maybe the most frightening and challenging tasked they face in that day...and a shy/frightened student may get an A for simply getting on stage and accomplishing a simple action, where as an experienced student will be expected to incorporate multiple levels of scene/character development to get the same A. From that first day I stress the importance of a collaborative and supportive environment and the importance of EVERYONE participating in EVERY assignment/activity, EVERY TIME, no exceptions. Students with legitimate reasons for not participating must discuss the issue prior to the start of class, so that we can work together to figure out an alternative together. The goal is to defuse the fears of presenting in front of peers...and allowing the student a little control of the situation without the teacher giving over complete control, but establishing a partnership. I explain that if everyone has the same expectation those people who want to learn the life skills and learn to succeed in the class will not feel betrayed because they faced the challenge and took the risk while other just opted out because they just didn't feel like it...the next time it will be more likely that that student who wants to learn and is willing to learn will choose to opt out. Students who choose to not participate, after reasonable requests may face disciplinary actions - think about how PE classes and language class use their discipline policies. To help to get the class on a similar foundation I start with games that work for all levels and progressively takes baby steps toward more challenging performance activities. Here is the sequence I use:

• Charades (small groups compete against each other for - candy prize - using seconds as points - max 120 seconds, teams only perform to their group - other teams that demonstrate support for other groups have points deducted as a reward for building a supportive environment - point added to teams that are not supportive) Lots of supportive, positive reinforcement from the teacher during this activity is suggested! Discuss the acting/improv skills utilized during the game. Then we move on to improv games.

Warm up games:

• Pass the sound 
    • one word story
    • lumberjack
    • various other group activirties

Improv

• freeze tag
    • growing and shrinking

That gets things started. It's about having fun while learning, finding the success in every student and removing the excuses to not participate. I feel like your best chances for a positive, proactive and success oriented class is to lay the groundwork from the beginning, really focus on the positive and bring everyone in to the collaborative. Don't let the kids decide the expectations, make it valuable to them, show them that this is more than recess...it is perhaps one of the most important and valuable classes they can take. 

Good luck!

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 7.  RE: Kids who don't wanna...

Posted 01-04-2016 14:05

Randy, I am pretty good at adapting, but there is one place where I hold the line.  I insist that the Theatre I students be in a class by themselves.    

I teach a robust Theatre I curriculum with no public performance and tons of small assignments to give students a good idea of what theatre is all about.  Only the students who enjoy that course go on to take upper level courses.

Block scheduling means my other classes are combined, but we do a production in each of them, so that is different each semester.  I find it easy to require different levels of proficiency within the same classroom when everyone has that fundamental knowledge, and the range of expertise really gives those super talented and motivated students room to stretch.

In each period when I have Theatre I, a class of up to 3 Tech Theatre Practicum students can be placed.  That is a project-oriented course I developed that works in support of whatever productions we are doing that semester and our Thespian activities.  Those TTP students must have completed at least two theatre courses and be able to work collaboratively within their small group with minimal instructional time from me.      

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: Kids who don't wanna...

Posted 01-05-2016 23:57

IMPROV!  Start with simple short improvs.  Folger theatre has some great Shakespeare lesson plans using multi media and my all time favorite is their Shakespearean Death Scenes.  I have adopted this for all ages and it is my go to class to shake things up.  They have no idea what they are doing in the beginning, but they get to camp it up and roll around on the floor.  I also take my classes outside if the weather is nice. "What Are You Doing" in the sunshine has a way of making even the most difficult students participate.

I do not give the kids the option of not participating.  I am the easiest grader in the world, but if you do not get up you get a 0.  If they get up to work for even a few seconds, with those students it is a guaranteed "A" because just getting up there is so important to me.  The skills will come eventually, but only if they get used to participating.  Theatre Folks have some great ideas on their website for Subs and other fun games to get the ball rolling.  Keep it fun and throw out the curriculum if needed to get them to trust  you.  You can always get back to it.

If they simply will not, let them mop the stage and see if you can get them to participate in a backstage role.  I have had a few non verbal students that would do amazing research for props and set design, but simply were not able to stand up on stage.  By using improv and tons of games I was able to get them up there eventually. If they see the other students having fun, they are more likely to join in.  One student in particular was not able to get up if the lights were on her.  So she would do everything facing upstage for the first half the year.  She is now competing.  

Good luck and take your vitamins.  It is exhausting, but if you can break through, it will be worth it.  

Noelle Laufer
    Teacher
    St. Thomas' Episcopal School
    Houston TX