Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cutting of The Tempest

Posted 12-26-2015 14:15
    Has anyone a good cutting of the Tempest for middle to high schoolers?  Perhaps 40 - 60 minutes long?  Just starting my search and would love some guidance.  Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Cutting of The Tempest

Posted 12-27-2015 10:55
    Yes!! John Schmor from the University of Oregon did an AMAZING visioning (cuz "cutting" just doesn't do it justice) of the Tempest. If you contact him, I'm sure he'd be willing to let you use it, even give you some tips. It's truly the best version of the show I've ever seen.

jbschmor@uoregon.edu

Michael Fisher

Typos courtesy of my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Cutting of The Tempest

Posted 12-28-2015 12:56

Mine is available here: Community Shakespeare Company - 

. runs about 80 minutes but you can cut it further. The text is somewhat altered, as you will see, but very respectful of the original and perfect for MS or students never exposed to Shakespeare before.

------------------------------
    [Richard] [Carter]
    [Author/Director/Teacher]
    [Community Shakespeare]
    [Lopez Island] [WA]

• 4.  RE: Cutting of The Tempest

Posted 12-29-2015 20:16

Mike Newlin (might need to check the spelling, I'm speed typing these) has about 18 published cuttings of Shakespeare plays, cutting them down to about 30 minutes a piece. He does add an expositional device (like a story-teller type) who fills in any gaping holes, but what I'm doing is using his work and then just adding back in any particular segments I really felt strongly about...Mr. Newlin is an associate of the Folger Shakespeare library, and the cuttings are decent. I feel fairly certain he has a 30 minute Tempest in his collection, you can find them pretty easy on Amazon under 30 minute Shakespeare...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Cutting of The Tempest

Posted 12-30-2015 13:38

Thanks everybody for your kind responses! 

(Oh, and Philip, the 30 Minute Shakespeare guy is Nick Newlin.  I await his adaptation of the Tempest which should be delivered this afternoon.)  Has anybody else had luck with these versions?  I think for this group of students, all of whom have learning and other neurological disorders, an adaptation with a "storyteller" character may work quite well.

Susan

Susan
    Columbia SC