Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Harvey

Posted 12-16-2015 08:49
    Hi all! Has anyone done Harvey with their high school students? If so, did you make any cuts/edits?

--
    Jordan Fox
    Area Head, Theater
    Windward School
    11350 Palms Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90066
    (310) 391-7127 ext.
    ​1131

• 2.  RE: Harvey

Posted 12-17-2015 07:39
    We did Harvey about ten years ago--I'm pretty sure we didn't edit or cut. That said, the kids had a hard time getting the characters and the subtlety needed for the show to work well. They love to watch the film, but it was a struggle to get characters not caricatures.

• 3.  RE: Harvey

Posted 12-17-2015 07:46

we had a blast doing Harvey!
    We did not edit out any dialogue, though we did take out the cigarettes.  We made sure to add in a few more of Harvey's magic touches for Elwood's benefit.  He bumped into chandeliers, he moved curtains, he opened drawers.  We recruited students from the robotics team to do some of that work for us. Our Elwood needed help moving on stage as if he were being followed by a 6ft rabbit...  

The audience loved that show-- lots of laughs and lots of applause!

I hope you have as much fun as we did!
    break legs!
    Caroline

------------------------------
    Caroline Clayton
    Teacher
    New Palestine IN

• 4.  RE: Harvey

Posted 12-17-2015 09:02

I did it a couple of years ago, but I didn't make any cuts.  I do wish I had though...  We had some major problems with Veta's lines.

Rick Dorn
    Troupe Director
    Worland WY

• 5.  RE: Harvey

Posted 12-17-2015 09:04

Hello!

We just put on a production of Harvey in November.  We did make a few small edits for example, the stage direction that call for Wilson to try to spank myrtle -- we just staged a different way, and we did change Sanderson's line "I never mention your name except in my sleep" to "I never mention your name if I can help it."  There are quite a few alcohol references in the show, but we left all of those in.  The show was really positively received by parents and administration.  I did mention to the cast, crew and colleagues that it was a PG show in places. (We did leave in Veta's lines about the doctors asking her about sex urges.)  We did have several younger siblings in attendance, but I do not receive a single comment about topics being inappropriate.  

Our final run time including at 10 minute intermission was about 1 hour and 45 minutes.  It took us awhile to get down to that time.  Scene changes were our challenge since our theater has almost no space in the wings to quickly stow large set pieces.

I hope that this feedback helps! I really was a fun show for every.  I would direct it again.

Theresa Velazquez
    St Charles MO

• 6.  RE: Harvey

Posted 12-17-2015 10:23

I have, a long time ago – didn't need to change anything!  Kids and parents loved it!

Kathleen Conner, M.A.Ed.

Director of Academics and Curriculum

Summer School Director

Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair

(310) 276-3068 ext. 126

Logo II (2)

• 7.  RE: Harvey

Posted 12-17-2015 13:25

We just did Harvey in November as well and made just a few edits.  Veta's lines about sex urges, just changed to urges and the smack on Myrtle was changed a bit.  We left in several places and concentrated on making it tasteful and subtle so that the audience could draw its own conclusions.   We left out the Sanderson line about "in my sleep" too and honestly it played better.  

This is great show for students to grow in presenting a character and making sure the audience has something to watch during long word heavy scenes.  I stressed to them that the crowd has to love these characters or else the play can become boring and they won' care about the outcome.  We made sure that Elwood was somewhat a lively fellow and that some spark showed through his gentleness.  I have seen him played to quiet that I lost interest and we wanted to avoid that.  And keeping Veta lovable through her mood swings. I kept telling the students that love and family drive the characters and the show...am I seeing the love???? ha!

We also added some Harvey magic, the old fashioned way...hidden line and tech crew!

It was so much fun and we had the audience in tears at parts of it.  Enjoy your show!

Georgann Lanich
    Tallulah Falls GA

• 8.  RE: Harvey

Posted 12-17-2015 17:32
    Yes and no. We did not cut or edit anything. It was a smash.