Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Artist in Residence

Posted 12-16-2015 07:22

Hello Everyone,

I am currently working at an arts school and we are looking into hiring an artist in resident position. Do any of you have this position at your school? How does this job work at your school? 

------------------------------
    Brian Edgecomb
    solarsun22@aol.com
    Palm Springs FL

• 2.  RE: Artist in Residence

Posted 12-17-2015 10:08

We hired two Artists in Residence at my school nine years ago, the same year that I was hired as chair of the performing arts department.  We are a small independent school and the these were new positions - one to direct and one to choreograph student productions.  Our success rate has been 50/50.  The one who was hired to direct was also given the assignment of working with other faculty to infuse the arts into classes in other academic areas.  The outline of the task was initially vague, by design, so that he would be free to collaborate differently in each subject area. Sadly, he found it difficult to work within a school environment and basically ignored this part of his job.  He did nothing other than direct the shows and left the school, rather unceremoniously, after a few very challenging years.  The other, who was hired to choreograph shows and teach periodic workshops, has become a valued member of the faculty.  While his title is still artist in residence, he now teaches some full-year electives and became a true partner with me when I took over the directing of the productions after the other artist left.  So, I think it depends on the individual.  A focused, motivated and collaborative person in a residency position can be a great asset.  

Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    Springfield NJ