Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Text for independent work

Posted 12-09-2015 08:35

Hi everyone,

I have two 8th grade students who need a textbook for independent work. They are taking a class of mine again in order to participate in a performance project at the end of the semester, which was my idea, because it's a very small class and we need actors! But that means I need to keep them busy while I go through the curriculum with the other students. I have some projects from another class that they can work on, but I really need a textbook that they can read independently for a few weeks/months, off an on. 

They are intelligent, hard-working, responsible students, but they are only in 8th grade, and we are a Christian school, so the material needs to be pretty innocent. 

Thanks for any suggestions! I appreciate them!

------------------------------
    Emily Stam
    Lee's Summit MO

• 2.  RE: Text for independent work

Posted 12-09-2015 09:01

I don't have a book suggestion, but another option to consider...

I often have students repeat my beginning acting class. Rather than having them do something completely different, I have them lead portions of the class and prepare more challenging selections for performance.  Depending on the course style, this may or may not work for you.  I like it for a variety of reasons... they are learning more challenging material which deepens their understanding of the curriculum, they are developing presentation skills, leadership skills and generally having fun.  (And...you don't have to take on another class prep.)

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO