Open Forum

View Only

Narrators onstage

• 1.  Narrators onstage

Posted 12-07-2015 13:48

Does anyone know of any professional productions with narrators onstage? I've thought of OUR TOWN, but can't think of any others.

------------------------------
    Stanley Coleman
    Eugene OR

• 2.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-07-2015 16:51

I've not seen it, but what about Fun HomeAgain, this is speculation on my part from having read the graphic novel and listened a little to the cast recording, but doesn't adult Alison talk to the audience?

Into the Woods has a narrator character. 

We're working on Once on This Island, Jr. right now and will say that this musical (and its full version antecedent) relies on narration. 

Recently someone posted a question on this forum about Christopher Sergel's adaptation of To Kill a Mockingbird, which uses adult Jean Louise as a narrator.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 3.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-07-2015 17:11

Yep, it was me, Ryan. I'm trying to find out how to treat regular characters who are onstage when Jean Louise narrates. I trying to determine whether it calls for a full-freeze, slow-motion action, or continuous in-time action. Thanks for offering some shows to look at.

Stanley Coleman
    Eugene OR

• 4.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-08-2015 07:58

When dealing with narration, having the actors keep the movement going is a very effective way to deal with set changes and show the passage of time. However, if you find the movement to be too distracting, by all means having the actors freeze can be a powerful tool.

Here are some other options:

The Drowsy Chaperone - Musical

Ragtime (there is a junior version) - Musical

Lost in Yonkers (narration can either be a voice over or with actor on stage) - Play

Everything I Ever Knew I Learned in Kindergarten (many scenes are narrated) - Play with Music

Break a leg!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 5.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-09-2015 11:29
    We had great fun with A CHRISTMAS CAROL, nonmusical, in which adult Ralph narrates his story and takes on several roles in Ralphie's story. We even had a live Bumpus dog who came in and stole the fake turkey and ran. Fun holiday alternative.

gai.jones@sbcglobal.net or gai@gaijones.com
    www.gaijones.com
    sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-09-2015 12:16

Oops CHRISTMAS STORY, though I have seen A CHRISTMAS CAROL with Scrooge narrator. 

Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com
    RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com
    BREAK A LEG, A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES: ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS www.gaijones.com https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator

• 7.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-08-2015 09:19

Oh, haha. Of course. Then my suggestion wasn't very helpful was it?

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 8.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-08-2015 08:03

Glass Menagerie.

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 9.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-08-2015 08:24

Ha ha, 'Woman at a Threshold, Beckoning' uses a narrator. In our production, he stands to stage right narrating whilst he has a physical 'double' in the action, 'playing' or acting out the narration. At one point, the character flashes back to a previous episode in his life, and we had the actors switch out to indicate the flashback. Multiple reasons for this: one was to give my main narrator a break as he has so many lines, another for stylistic/aesthetic choices, and because it's theatre, and I can do what I want :)

Seriously though, to help the audience understand that this was the same character, the two actors said their first line onstage in unison, and then break apart to their respective positions. When they switched narration/playing out roles, they said their lines in unison again, and then one more time when they switched back. I also divided the last monologue section between them as they came together to the same positions that we started the whole play off in.

Well, I thought it was cool, anyway. :) But it is one more example of a narrator and how we used them. Whilst the narration is going on, this particular narrator is literally commenting on what is happening. This is a little more tricky, but again it looked pretty cool as the narrator wasn't looking at the other performers as he narrated what they were doing. Other times he's commentating. So in this instance the two work together and there's meant to be a split focus. I know in Drowsy Chaperone it seems that the focus needs to be on the narrator, as he acts as a framing device and the musical is as much about him as it is about the rest of the characters.

Hope this helps a little!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 10.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-08-2015 09:18
    Yes -- Margaret Atwood's new stage adaptation of her novel THE PENELOPIAD has Penelope narrating the entire saga of the Odyssey...

--
    Bob Pridham
    Chair, Theatre
    Kent Place School
    908 273 0900 x218

• 11.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-08-2015 09:26

Yes -- we are currently at work on Margaret Atwood's stage adaptation of her novel THE PENELOPIAD, and Penelope narrates the entire action of THE ODYSSEY as the story unfolds around her.  Terrific play.

Robert Pridham
    Summit NJ

• 12.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-08-2015 09:35

Dancing at Lughnasa

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 13.  RE: Narrators onstage

Posted 12-08-2015 15:55

Hi, not sure if someone posted these classics already but: