Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  90 minute Midsummer

Posted 11-30-2015 10:25

I am looking at "A Midsummer Night's Dream" for our next show, and want to do it in no more than an hour and forty-five minutes. Any referrals of the "best" 90-105 minute adaptation out there that preserves the characters and the humor? I can cut it down myself, but if there's an awesome cutting out there that can save me a few hours' work, I'm all for it.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: 90 minute Midsummer

Posted 11-30-2015 10:59

The 90-Minute Shakespeare adapted by Diane Timmerman is pretty good. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: 90 minute Midsummer

Posted 12-03-2015 06:46

I'm not exactly sure of the running time, but I adapted AMSND for my program several years ago.  You are welcome to read it.  Just email me at carolyn.greer@owensboro.kyschools.us and I will be happy to send it to you.

Carolyn Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 4.  RE: 90 minute Midsummer

Posted 12-04-2015 06:01

I did Midsummer last year with my students and adapted the script down to about 70 minutes, whilst keeping the flow and pace of the original. If you're interested, message/email through this and I'll happily share. I also abridged 'Romeo and Juliet' to about 65 minutes.

Mike Newlin (I think, I don't have the book in front of me) has a whole library of I think about 18 of Shakespeare's works, cut down to about 30 minutes a piece. This is going to work well for me, as my class sizes are so ridiculous that I have to double cast the productions we are doing of Othello and Much Ado About Nothing...so both plays will be able to go both nights of performance, with four different casts. Yay!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL