Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Big Fish vs. Big Fish 12 Chairs

Posted 11-29-2015 11:49

Hi Folks,

Although I believe I understand the basic differences between the two versions, does anyone have insights regarding the 12 Chairs version beyond the smaller cast and some musical revisions? For that matter, a preference for one version versus the other.

Thanks,

Dana Taylor

------------------------------
    Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 2.  RE: Big Fish vs. Big Fish 12 Chairs

Posted 11-30-2015 10:29

BIG FISH: 12 Chair was created by the authors as a small-cast, smaller-pit alternative to the larger Broadway production so that the show to be performed in smaller venues with less actors (with doubling). It was first performed by SpeakEasy Stage, a small professional theatre in Boston.

Here are the main changes from the Broadway production:

1. In BIG FISH: 12 Chair Sandra's song, "Two Men in My Life" is replaced with a new song from Boston, "Magic in the Man."
    1. In BIG FISH: 12 Chair "Showdown" (an ensemble number) is replaced with "The River Between Us" (a duet)
    1. In BIG FISH: 12 Chair, song #14 “Red, White and True” and its scene are cut (a large ensemble number). 

If you are working in a smaller space with less actors, BIG FISH: 12 Chair is a good choice. If you are in a large theatre and want to use a large cast, BIG FISH is a better option. The essence and plot of the show remain the same for both versions. 

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education & Community Initiatives
    TRW
    New York NY